Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

Re: Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by mosespa »

You know, David...we'll probably need an "interviewer," anyway :D

It doesn't always have to be "interview" clips between songs...there could also be voiceover in the manner of a Kurt Loder or something between some of the songs, to help move the story along.

Looks like this is starting to pick up, gang.

What if we took the idea of the radio program and applied it here? Instead of something like KAOS, though...more like a "syndicated program" like Off The Record with Mary Turner (did I just date myself? :lol: )

That would give a pretty strong framework for what we're talking about doing, I think.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

mosespa wrote: What if we took the idea of the radio program and applied it here? Instead of something like KAOS, though...more like a "syndicated program" like Off The Record with Mary Turner (did I just date myself? :lol: )

That would give a pretty strong framework for what we're talking about doing, I think.
hmm...a radio program. that's got me thinking. (dave leans back in his big leather chair and strokes his gotee.) yes, i might be able to help with that. the only problem with a syndicated radio program format is that we're not interviewing the band, and we're not playing their songs. i think what we're shooting for here is an album that flows like a pink floyd record. still, i think you've got a good idea and perhaps we should explore it a little more.

having a voice to move the story along is a good idea. not really a narrator, but more like a journalist reporting a story. maybe a bunch of different reports from different periods of time.

how about contrasting news reports against entertainment reports from different periods in the floyds history. it would illustrate the changes the world has gone through along side the changes the band has gone through. a few examples:

the summer of love - pf releases piper
energy crisis - dark side of the moon
iran hostage crisis - the wall
fall of communism - amlor/wall in berlin

we could use news clips (not real ones) to set the scene and then seque into a song that tells the story. maybe a few clips can be inserted into the songs themselves. i'm starting to get a few ideas.

reporter: "we're outside olympic stadium here in montreal, where the pink floyd has just finished performing. a crush of fans are now exiting the stadum... sir?... excuse me sir? how did you enjoy the show?"

fan: "it was awesome, man. totally awesome. he actually spit on me, man!"

reporter: "who spit on you?"

fan: "the dude playing the bass. he totally spit on me! my buddies were lighting off firecrackers... and i was totally up front by the stage, like going seriously nuts. you know, like screaming and yelling, and then the guy just looks at me and hawks a serious loogie right at me. it totally hit me on the forehead. i wiped it off with my shirt. dude, i'm never washing this shirt again!"

okay, that's enough brainstorming for me right now. i'm not married to any of these ideas, i'm just putting them out there for consideration.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Massed Gadgets-I appreciate your comments and, you're right, I think I need to remove the name "Syd" from my song to make it more generic, much like WYWH is.

Davidjay and Mosespa- I really like the flow of ideas you two have set forth, especially the idea of mixing in fake news segments of "actual world events" like the Iran Hostage Crisis.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

So just to be clear here, before we move on further, it looks as if it's been decided that the album will be about Pink Floyd, and not a fictitious band?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think it should be a fictitious band...but based on Pink Floyd.

I think we should keep things like "the spitting incident," and "the departure of the original creative genius due to him losing his shit altogether," and the like...but perhaps put a slightly different spin on things.

But I definitely feel we should "create" a band.

After all, with the management team out there looking to quash all ROIO's they can, if we go using Pink Floyd as the band we make the album about, they might be able to call a halt to these proceedings.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Sounds like quite a challenge to make the clips sound archive. I imagine something akin to the news flashes in the Final Cut or Amused to Death. I think that they should vary in length from longer sections where the interviewer is heard and shorter parts, fragments, like;

"He did a lot of drugs...we all did a lot of drugs..."
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

^^
Brilliant Idea, there.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

mosespa wrote: After all, with the management team out there looking to quash all ROIO's they can, if we go using Pink Floyd as the band we make the album about, they might be able to call a halt to these proceedings.
i'm not so sure they could really do much about that. but still, the idea of a fictitious band is a good one. after all, it is what roger did with the character of pink in the wall. maybe we should call the band ''the anderson council". has that been used by a pf tribute band already? i guess i'm off to google!

edit:

yes, of course. wikipedia lists nine bands with that name. i knew it was too obvious!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

So...with nine different bands using it...we should be able to get away with it, eh?;)
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

mosespa wrote:So...with nine different bands using it...we should be able to get away with it, eh?;)
good point.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm rushing this, but I'm doing the bachelor thing while my wife is away with her parents and I'm getting alot of ideas for songs. I'm like George on Seinfeld- I can think more clearly when the possibility for sex is not present. LOL

Anyway, in keeping with Mosespa's idea about a fake Pink Floyd band, I retouched the lyrics on my first song so they don't actually mention Syd or anything Pink Floyd. I've also added some chords. Let me know what you think. Man, this is like a virtual Abbey Road session! Excuse me while I grab some crust-less pie!

E Bb
Someday I’ll take the time, for the memories in mind
Cm Asus2
I’ll take me out some paper and a pen,
E Bb
I'm gonna dust off my guitar, the one I used to play in bars
Cm A
And I will make the world a love song once again,

Someday I’ll put to bed, all the demons in my head
I’ll get a record out, and play a song once known
Instead of hiding from the knocks, I’m gonna take off all those locks
And I will open up the door into my home,

Someday I might just sing out loud, I’ll hold my head up and be proud
And welcome back the smile I once wore,
I’ll grow back out my hair, and let it curl without a care
And find some paint that I can spread upon the floor,

Someday I’ll take the time, for the memories in mind
I’ll walk myself to all those places we would play
The taverns with their smoke and lights, the ones where we would sing all night
????? I'm at a loss here?????

Someday I’m gonna call up Flo (?maybe not?), the pretty girl I used to know
And ask her then if she’ll become my wife,
Someday I’ll take the time, for all these memories in my mind
If not in this one, then perhaps the afterlife?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'd try Bsus4 instead of B flat if I were you. It just fits my ears better.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I'll give it a try. Thanks alot Hudini, that's exactly the feedback I'm looking for!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Maybe we can co-write it this way? :D Keep informing us on new changes, and if I can help you in any way I will.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hudini wrote:I'd try Bsus4 instead of B flat if I were you. It just fits my ears better.
With all due respect...are we looking to please ears, here? I mean, if this is a song about the "Syd-character," and he's pretty well gone by this point, wouldn't it make sense for the song to sound a little...well...odd?

Just some thoughts.