Roger Lip-Syncing: New Observation

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Lip-Syncing: New Observation

Post by Damn!t »

Hudini wrote:
Tenniru wrote:Jon Carin is pretty much the sixth member of Pink Floyd
Actually I count him as a seventh member after Tim Renwick. To me, Snowy White was also a Pink Floyd member for some time.
Well, Jon could be considered a member of the Floyd couse he co-wrote some of the songs for them, while others you mentioned didnt.
But, imo, there will allways be only five of them...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, Bob Ezrin co-wrote more songs than Jon Carin, but I didn't count him either, because his live input was minimal.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

To me it does matter if someone 'lipsings' at a live concert or not. For one: it isn't exactly live then anymore then, now is it? But thats a 'fundamental' argument, open for debate.

But, more importantly, I beleive that the nice thing about a live concert, over listning to a record, is that live performing artists can "get into the feeling" of an evening and into the atmosphere created by the audience. This is impossible if a pre-recorded piece of music or lyrics are played. Therefore I do not want to go to a lip-synched concert. I would feel cheated out of something VERY essential of a live experience.

By the way: Roger Waters did not seem so "ashamed" of his aged voice on 'Amused To Death' and during the world wide performance of 'The Walll Live Berlin 1990'. Why is he hiding behind a synch track now-a-days?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Meneer Jansen wrote:By the way: Roger Waters did not seem so "ashamed" of his aged voice on 'Amused To Death' and during the world wide performance of 'The Walll Live Berlin 1990'. Why is he hiding behind a synch track now-a-days?
Perhaps it is simply the passing of 15-17 years which has taken its toll on his voice...
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

Yes,...and IMHO,60 out of 40 audience members (of current gen.) will surely dislike his vocals at this age.Thus to maintain the equation,I feel his lip synch is plausible.
He must have felt after "Live in Berlin" how his vocal abilities are not upto live performance.Heck,I liked his failing voice and out-of-breath- vocal on "Run Like Hell" in "Live In Berlin"; and when he performed in India he didn't need to sing as the audience (myself including)oversoared his and bands vocals singing each song.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Meneer Jansen wrote:By the way: Roger Waters did not seem so "ashamed" of his aged voice on 'Amused To Death' and during the world wide performance of 'The Walll Live Berlin 1990'. Why is he hiding behind a synch track now-a-days?
Hey...I've done A LOT of things and wasn't ashamed of them "in the moment."

Later on, though?

Different story altogether.
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

As have I...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

But did you notice how his voice appeared aged only on the albums ('Radio K.A.O.S.' and 'Amused To Death'), but when he did those songs live his voice sounded a lot lively again? The finest examples are Perfect Sense and It's A Miracle on 'In The Flesh'. Was he lip-syncing there? No. Is he lip-syncing now? I don't think so...
oh by the way
Axe
Axe

Post by oh by the way »

Hudini wrote:
But did you notice how his voice appeared aged only on the albums ('Radio K.A.O.S.' and 'Amused To Death'), but when he did those songs live his voice sounded a lot lively again? The finest examples are Perfect Sense and It's A Miracle on 'In The Flesh'. Was he lip-syncing there? No. Is he lip-syncing now? I don't think so...
There were over 200 pages on A Fleeting Glimpse site on this subject. One of Waters biggest fans there had about 50 RoIO's and VoIO's of the tour and there were 5 songs or parts of them that were identical each night. It is humanly impossible to sing a song identical each and every night.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

oh by the way wrote: There were over 200 pages on A Fleeting Glimpse site on this subject. One of Waters biggest fans there had about 50 RoIO's and VoIO's of the tour and there were 5 songs or parts of them that were identical each night. It is humanly impossible to sing a song identical each and every night.
Yes...it IS humanly possible.

However, I'm going to bust out my idiocy on you here.

Let me ask this (to anyone who wants to jump in here:)

Is it PROBABLE?

Consider this...Roger Waters has mentioned in numerous interviews (pretty much all of which are available on youtube, I think,) that he is not the most precise bass player ever. Roger Waters has never pretended to be any sort of bass virtuoso. Nor any virtuoso of voice.

Pretty much the most impressive bass work in Pink Floyd in their "Classic Era" was actually played by Gilmour, not Waters. Snowy White played the complicated fretless bass work in Pigs (Three Different Ones) live in '77 while Roger strumed a red stratocaster as he sang...wildly varying from night to night...according to what I've heard so far.

I'm not trying to harp on Roger being "less than worthy of note" as far as technicality goes...I'm simply pointing out that Roger Waters is not exactly the most "precise" of artists when it comes to performing.

Sure, they guy could do identical performances most of the time...but ALL of the time?

Nah...that's mechanical precision, there. Not human.

Digital versus analogue, if you will.

For Roger Waters to perform exactly identically in certain parts night after night while all other parts allow for "human variables," some sort of non-human technology is making that happen, IMHYOO.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

mosespa wrote:For Roger Waters to perform exactly identically in certain parts night after night while all other parts allow for "human variables," some sort of non-human technology is making that happen, IMHYOO.
I agree with Sean. That is not possible. Aspecially by someone like Rog.
I dont give a rats ass if he has some techincal backup during his singing parts, after all he CANT SING, so it's reasonable that he had some help, but he simply cant sound the same for... one night...yet alone for...what...50? He's not a member of Kraftwerk for Christ sake.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Damn!t wrote: He's not a member of Kraftwerk for Christ sake.
au oh - you'll wake Stu up - and we'll all be in trouble then :lol:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

drafsack wrote:
Damn!t wrote: He's not a member of Kraftwerk for Christ sake.
au oh - you'll wake Stu up - and we'll all be in trouble then :lol:
Haha! Well it's about time for him to crawl out from his rock bar.
I do miss him here to tell you the truth.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Cowards wrote:As have I...
Can you please explain to a simple dumb croat what the hell is a "rhino pulling"?
And another thing...are you a boy or a girl? or both lol
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

mosespa wrote:
oh by the way wrote: There were over 200 pages on A Fleeting Glimpse site on this subject. One of Waters biggest fans there had about 50 RoIO's and VoIO's of the tour and there were 5 songs or parts of them that were identical each night. It is humanly impossible to sing a song identical each and every night.
Yes...it IS humanly possible.

However, I'm going to bust out my idiocy on you here.

Let me ask this (to anyone who wants to jump in here:)

Is it PROBABLE?
Actually yes IMHO. Lots of bands' bootlegs have parts that sound EXACTLY the same on multiple shows...the odds may even be FOR it considering how many shows there are. Freddie Mercury could sing the same thing more than once and actually have it phase on a vectorscope.