Stalking Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by zag »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:But to think one would stop communication with every fan that just wanted to to wish him well and hello is just ridiculous and not in human nature!
You´re still missing the point. He wasn´t interested of you or any other half-grown "fan". You may ask why, but it´s purely your problem, not his.

and GG, you´re ridiculous. Maybe he was expecting some lumber or a hot chick, mature likely.
You may have seen some pics from his belongings, I´m quite positive they just didn´t come from an empty space.
So maybe he was forced to open his door once awhile.
King Offa
Embryo
Embryo

Post by King Offa »

Metal Mickey wrote:
...it's just a natural human response in a moment of amazement.
just wondering...is it "a natural human response" to try and make a profit from the film too?
Astral Cowgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Astral Cowgirl »

zag wrote:
Astral Cowgirl wrote:But to think one would stop communication with every fan that just wanted to to wish him well and hello is just ridiculous and not in human nature!
You´re still missing the point. He wasn´t interested of you or any other half-grown "fan". You may ask why, but it´s purely your problem, not his.

and GG, you´re ridiculous. Maybe he was expecting some lumber or a hot chick, mature likely.
You may have seen some pics from his belongings, I´m quite positive they just didn´t come from an empty space.
So maybe he was forced to open his door once awhile.
I think you are missing the point. If Roger didn't want to talk fans at all, he simply could have installed a peep hole, and if he didn't know the person on the other side of the door he wouldn't have to open the door. Seeing that he still answered the door to the occasional fan, seems like he didn't want to cut all ties with the outside world. If he wasn't interested like you say, Roger didn't have to open the door and speak at all....but he did, his curiosity still got the best of him.

I doubt anybody could force Roger to open his door....he did because he wanted to.

And Zag....I work with musicians, Roger is not unique in his condition. Syd/Roger reminds me of so many musicians I know.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

does anyone think maybe the reason "Dion" doesnt want to show the world the doorstep video is because Roger did actually flip out and get mad at him?

seems more likely than any other reason why he wouldn't put it online and/or try and sell it
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Astral Cowgirl wrote: If Roger didn't want to talk fans at all, he simply could have installed a peep hole, and if he didn't know the person on the other side of the door he wouldn't have to open the door. Seeing that he still answered the door to the occasional fan, seems like he didn't want to cut all ties with the outside world. If he wasn't interested like you say, Roger didn't have to open the door and speak at all....but he did, his curiosity still got the best of him.
You´re a true beliver, aren´t you. You must be living in a dream world. Well whatever, I thought I´d never say this, but I´m glad his gone.
RIP so to say.
HazeyJaneAgain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HazeyJaneAgain »

King Offa wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:
just wondering...is it "a natural human response" to try and make a profit from the film too?

Stomach churning isnt it.
I wonder why its so difficult to believe that there are actually people who really would walk right past?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

HazeyJaneAgain wrote:I wonder why its so difficult to believe that there are actually people who really would walk right past?
Hot blooded fans could make anyone crazy... so maybe if you´re young enough and fanatic you don´t care about anyone else. It´s just ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME :lol:
King Offa
Embryo
Embryo

Post by King Offa »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:
And Zag....I work with musicians, Roger is not unique in his condition. Syd/Roger reminds me of so many musicians I know.
Astral Cowgirl, I don´t think it´s a unique musicians condition, more a kind of human condition.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

King Offa wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:
It's amazing how some of you can make something out of nothing in here!

That's not what I said! I don't believe I made any referrence to profitting from pictures of him! And who the hell was talking about a film (certainly not the 98 stalker footage)? I was merely making a point that not many of you know what you could be capable of in a situation like that so really, you shouldn't be condeming those that have a different opinion on the subject then yours.

Personally, I found it disrespectful of those who disturbed him but really, considering his legend the world over, was he really that bothered in 30+ years of retirement?

Seriously, some of you really need to chill out!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:Oh please....I never said Roger wanted to share his "dirty secrets'.
I was being tongue in cheek, but don't worry about it, probably too subtle for your tastes.

Yeah, it all sounds so wonderful doesn't it. But... lets get out the microscope.
Zooming in on this sentence we find this...
Astral Cowgirl wrote:every fan that just wanted to to wish him well
If you wanted to wish him well, you would show respect by leaving him alone.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

zag wrote: and GG, you´re ridiculous. Maybe he was expecting some lumber or a hot chick, mature likely.

:lol: :lol: I throw in the towel on this thread!
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

I was being tongue in cheek, but don't worry about it, probably too subtle for your tastes.
Yes, just like that subtle put down that you seem so adept at doing.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

my breakfast. wrote:
Astral Cowgirl wrote:every fan that just wanted to to wish him well
If you wanted to wish him well, you would show respect by leaving him alone.
Hear Hear !!!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:I think you are missing the point. If Roger didn't want to talk fans at all, he simply could have installed a peep hole, and if he didn't know the person on the other side of the door he wouldn't have to open the door.
So you're saying that he shouldn't be able to live a normal life where he is free to open the door when someone knocks on it and instead has to become a complete and utter recluse to be left alone?
Astral Cowgirl wrote:If he wasn't interested like you say, Roger didn't have to open the door and speak at all....but he did, his curiosity still got the best of him.
What probably happened is he opened the door not knowing who it was and because they started addressing him he kind of had to respond. You seem to be trying to make the act of opening the door when someone knocks it in to something completely different. It is something you do so does that mean we should be free to film you in the street?
Astral Cowgirl wrote:And Zag....I work with musicians, Roger is not unique in his condition. Syd/Roger reminds me of so many musicians I know.
When people say that i tend to assume they have never worked with anyone famous who has therefore not had the pressure of stalkers and enthusiasts coming knocking at the door. Its all very well to reject the press and the fans when you don't get much in the first place

End of the day i reckon Syd just wanted to lead a normal life, hence him doing things like going outside and answering the door. I guess it is the price he has to pay though, for doing some good music 30+ years ago people still hounded him. End of the day the guy didn't bother doing more music or doing interviews for 30+ years so i guess that is a sign enough that he wants to just be a normal person, and for me it is sad that people would try and take the status away from him

Real life story, my brother's friend went to the same pub as Roger. He appparantely recognised him and said 'hey Syd' and he got uncomfortable and left. The rest of the barflys who knew Roger then had a go at this guy telling him that he doesn't like it when people recognise him. Say i'm talking bullshit if you like (as you no doubt will) but for me that was proof enougj. That and the lack of any effort to stay in the spotlight afterwards.

Music industry ruined the guy's life and made sure he couldn't have a normal life afterwards
Astral Cowgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Astral Cowgirl »

zag wrote:
my breakfast. wrote: If you wanted to wish him well, you would show respect by leaving him alone.
Hear Hear !!!
The thing is, you are talking as if i approached Roger myself, have never done so. I just try to see both sides of the coin, which you refuse to. Not everything is cut and dry. You don't really know what went on and neither do I.

What I do know and I know these people personally, they approached him and he did not turn them away.

What am I going to do whirl insults at them for it?...I think not
Oh David, I think he might have wanted to be left alone, but if someone took his interest then he spoke...about what? about whatever the weather art... You know people do go back on what they say, it not always black and white.

I just don't think he would have closed the door to all and sundry.