Stalking Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Metal Mickey

Re: Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by Metal Mickey »

[quote="David Smith]Music industry ruined the guy's life and made sure he couldn't have a normal life afterwards[/quote]

You're kidding, right? That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the giggle! *I smell a Roger Waters fan*
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

David Smith wrote: So you're saying that he shouldn't be able to live a normal life where he is free to open the door when someone knocks on it and instead has to become a complete and utter recluse to be left alone?
Hey I have to do that when my Iranian sister-in-law comes over, why should Barrett be any different?? :lol: :lol:

A thread just caught my eye, "Ficticious Syd's third album" :shock:
Shouldn't you guys be bashing on that thread? :lol: That's a little more strange to me than people wanting to meet Barrett! :lol: :lol:
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

GilmourGirl wrote:A thread just caught my eye, "Ficticious Syd's third album" :shock:
Shouldn't you guys be bashing on that thread? :lol:
Yeah, git yer pitchforks and torches fellers. Ah bet it's another one o' dem dere Astral Piper weirdos that done it. You know theys all sick deviants. Ah hears ev'ry last one of 'em done took to stalkin' Mr. Barrett at some point or 'nother ...when theys ain't busy foamin' at the mouth over covertly A-cquired pitchers of 'em on the interwebs, that is.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

J Ed wrote:
Moom wrote:Sorry, but I don't like that word, "stalker". Kinda offences me, makes me a feel like a bad guy. Perhaps, "meeter".
youre right the word stalker does carry a negative value judgement
"meeter" (if it were a word) is much more value neutral, even kind of positive, the world could use more "meeters", thered be less misunderstandings & conflict
but the word "to meet" defines a much wider range of personal interactions then what youre arguing for the right to engage in

you specifically want to start a conversation with a man who has repeatedly and on the record let it be known he doesnt want fans approaching him at all, let alone starting any conversations
thats a more specific form of interaction, and the verb that most precisely defines that is "to stalk"

sorry thats just the way the English language has evolved in recent years, the concept that there are stalkers is dependent on a legal concept enshrined in some Western constitutions that individuals have a right to privacy

another Western legal concept you might want to research before trying to "meet" some idol who has already said he doesnt want to be "met" is something called a "Restraining Order"
violators of a "Restraining Order" risk jail time and a permanent criminal record

and heres yet another legal concept that has emerged in the last couple of years that the womenfolk ought to be aware of:
"No Means No"
you ladies want to be careful posting on a public Internet Forum that you think that sometimes "No" secretly means "Yes", a resourceful Defence Attorney could dig that up and use it against you
Hmm... your avatar always reminds me of some analysist guy, - and so are you :)

But still, please no "stalker" .
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Dream To Dust wrote:
GilmourGirl wrote:A thread just caught my eye, "Ficticious Syd's third album" :shock:
Yeah, git yer pitchforks and torches fellers. Ah bet it's another one o' dem dere Astral Piper weirdos that done it. You know theys all sick deviants. Ah hears ev'ry last one of 'em done took to stalkin' Mr. Barrett at some point or 'nother ...when theys ain't busy foamin' at the mouth over covertly A-cquired pitchers of 'em on the interwebs, that is.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoever you may be, you have made my day!
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Astral Cowgirl wrote: I just try to see both sides of the coin, which you refuse to.
ah yes, but
Astral Cowgirl wrote: You know people do go back on what they say, it not always black and white.
You´ve more sides than you propably know you know.
Astral Cowgirl wrote: I think he might have wanted to be left alone, but if someone took his interest then he spoke...about what? about whatever the weather art...
He might have wanted to be left alone ? I don´t blame him for that, I even start to understand why :lol:
Have a nice day :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:Yes, just like that subtle put down that you seem so adept at doing.
It wasn't a put-down.

but...

Well usually I'm blunt. This is because I put Syd Barrett stalkers very high up on my "people I hate" list. This is a quick over-view of that list.

1) Zionists

2) Creationists

3) Gurranga's (and other fringe, credibility-lacking freakshow religions)

4) Born again christians ("I fucked up my life, and if you read the bible, you won't fuck up yours" yeah right)

5) Syd Barrett Obsessive, deluded (in the strictest sense) dangerous "fans".

So yeah. Your astral-whatever forum mob are currently sitting at number 5.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

my breakfast. wrote:5) Syd Barrett Obsessive, deluded (in the strictest sense) dangerous "fans".

Alan, it's obvious you are not a fan of extremist, fanatical religious groups. :lol:

I joined the Astral Piper forum to learn more information about Syd after his death. I merely wanted to determine which books some of the forum members recommended, to peruse some photographs that I had never seen during his "fame" days, and to research some of his musical talents (I know of no one who is a Syd Barrett fan except some members of forums). While a member of that forum, I did "meet" some very great and interesting people that I had the privilege to encounter face-to-face whilst over in the UK last year.

I would hardly consider myself to be a "dangerous obsessive." I am no more an obsessive fan than someone who reads another's biography or autobiography, and if you would consider that type of person to be a deluded and dangerous fan, then I am a bit puzzled. Have you never read another famous individual's biography? Have you never searched for photos of a favourite movie star or rock band? Have you never joined a forum to be able to discuss issues about music, and in the process made some friends and acquaintances? If those things make me a delusional psychopathic loser, I guess there is no hope for me or many others who are regular members of this forum or any other for that matter.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Syd'sSexy wrote: If those things make me a delusional psychopathic loser, I guess there is no hope for me or many others who are regular members of this forum or any other for that matter.
I think removing himself from the pop-star life was a act of self-preservation, a move that allowed him to live much longer and more peaceably. He even returned to his given name, Roger.
Stalkerazzies (? :lol: ) and fanatic, half-grown fans actually didn´t get it. Got it ?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

zag wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote: If those things make me a delusional psychopathic loser, I guess there is no hope for me or many others who are regular members of this forum or any other for that matter.
I think removing himself from the pop-star life was a act of self-preservation, a move that allowed him to live much longer and more peaceably. He even returned to his given name, Roger.
Stalkerazzies (? :lol: ) and fanatic, half-grown fans actually didn´t get it. Got it ?
Zag...I don't dispute that! I have never "stalked" Roger Syd Barrett! I think the act of filming him or photographing him without his consent was indecent and downright wrong. I never doorstepped him! I never followed him around! I merely admired the man's music. I was merely stating the reasons why I joined the now defunct Astral Pipers forum and trying to mitigate the stereotype and dispel the myth that all the members of that forum are deranged psychopathic losers.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

moom wrote:Hmm... your avatar always reminds me of some analysist guy, - and so are you
one job title Ive held in the past is "spatial data analyst" another is "research analyst", so excellent guess
you probably meant that as a compliment, you like 'analysist' types right?
ghostgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ghostgirl »

Dream To Dust wrote:

This is priceless!

It seems to me that my breakfast is more obsessed with this than any AP "losers"!
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Syd'sSexy wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:5) Syd Barrett Obsessive, deluded (in the strictest sense) dangerous "fans".

Alan, it's obvious you are not a fan of extremist, fanatical religious groups. :lol:

I joined the Astral Piper forum to learn more information about Syd after his death. I merely wanted to determine which books some of the forum members recommended, to peruse some photographs that I had never seen during his "fame" days, and to research some of his musical talents (I know of no one who is a Syd Barrett fan except some members of forums). While a member of that forum, I did "meet" some very great and interesting people that I had the privilege to encounter face-to-face whilst over in the UK last year.

I would hardly consider myself to be a "dangerous obsessive." I am no more an obsessive fan than someone who reads another's biography or autobiography, and if you would consider that type of person to be a deluded and dangerous fan, then I am a bit puzzled. Have you never read another famous individual's biography? Have you never searched for photos of a favourite movie star or rock band? Have you never joined a forum to be able to discuss issues about music, and in the process made some friends and acquaintances? If those things make me a delusional psychopathic loser, I guess there is no hope for me or many others who are regular members of this forum or any other for that matter.
I too joined the Astral Pipers Forum for the same reasons. My husband is an avid Pink Floyd fan and likes the Floyd at all stages, including the stage when Syd Barrett was part of the band. It was listening to what he had to say and introducing me to the music of Syd that made me interested. His type of music, his style and yes, his looks fascinated and won me over! I live in Australia and both my husband and I have a mortgage, kids and bills, so I did not jump on to aeroplanes and travel to England to stalk Syd. I am actually the sort of person that shies away in the presence of a famous person because I do not want to encroach on them. And I have been in the presence of a couple of famous people merely by accident. But I do realise people out there have a real need to be close to someone that they have admired whether it be in their talent, their sport or whether they are just a famous face. Christ on a bike, how many people out there are still impersonating and idolising Elvis Presley, how many people make pilgramages to the place of birth or death of a famous person?

You are making a major generalisation in regards to your No. 5 on the list. There were many people on that forum who were vehemently opposed to the whole doorstopping and videoing incident. I personally did not have too much of a problem with it, but I also understood how other people were upset and angry about it.

The people on the Syd Barrett forum are a mixture of wonderful, artistic, funny, some slightly eccentric, warm friendly and caring people. Personal insults were few and far between and the majority of times there was a certain respect for one another, even if you did not agree with the other person's opinions. I have had a couple of run ins with a couple of forum members, but things have been sorted and respect was shown in the end.

You, My Breakfast, do not seem to have that same respect for the majority of wonderful people that go on the forum to learn about Syd Barrett, discuss Syd Barrett, talk about anything and everything and sometimes have a good old laugh.

I don't think I come across as delusional, but I have been known to be a straight talker, and out of respect for the moderators, administration and other forum members I will reserve my real opinion of you my dear.
Last edited by kingfisher_flashing on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

And furthermore, I just hope that this thread brings out the closet Syd Barrett admirers to come and join the Late Night forum. The more the merrier!
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

*removed by poster due to redundant content*
Last edited by Dream To Dust on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.