Stalking Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Metal Mickey

Re: Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by Metal Mickey »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote: Alan, it's obvious you are not a fan of extremist, fanatical religious groups. :lol:

I joined the Astral Piper forum to learn more information about Syd after his death. I merely wanted to determine which books some of the forum members recommended, to peruse some photographs that I had never seen during his "fame" days, and to research some of his musical talents (I know of no one who is a Syd Barrett fan except some members of forums). While a member of that forum, I did "meet" some very great and interesting people that I had the privilege to encounter face-to-face whilst over in the UK last year.

I would hardly consider myself to be a "dangerous obsessive." I am no more an obsessive fan than someone who reads another's biography or autobiography, and if you would consider that type of person to be a deluded and dangerous fan, then I am a bit puzzled. Have you never read another famous individual's biography? Have you never searched for photos of a favourite movie star or rock band? Have you never joined a forum to be able to discuss issues about music, and in the process made some friends and acquaintances? If those things make me a delusional psychopathic loser, I guess there is no hope for me or many others who are regular members of this forum or any other for that matter.
I too joined the Astral Pipers Forum for the same reasons. My husband is an avid Pink Floyd fan and likes the Floyd at all stages, including the stage when Syd Barrett was part of the band. It was listening to what he had to say and introducing me to the music of Syd that made me interested. His type of music, his style and yes, his looks fascinated and won me over! I live in Australia and both my husband and I have a mortgage, kids and bills, so I did not jump on to aeroplanes and travel to England to stalk Syd. I am actually the sort of person that shies away in the presence of a famous person because I do not want to encroach on them. And I have been in the presence of a couple of famous people merely by accident. But I do realise people out there have a real need to be close to someone that they have admired whether it be in their talent, their sport or whether they are just a famous face. Christ on a bike, how many people out there are still impersonating and idolising Elvis Presley, how many people make pilgramages to the place of birth or death of a famous person?

You are making a major generalisation in regards to your No. 5 on the list. There were many people on that forum who were vehemently opposed to the whole doorstopping and videoing incident. I personally did not have too much of a problem with it, but I also understood how other people were upset and angry about it.

The people on the Syd Barrett forum are a mixture of wonderful, artistic, funny, some slightly eccentric, warm friendly and caring people. Personal insults were few and far between and the majority of times there was a certain respect for one another, even if you did not agree with the other person's opinions. I have had a couple of run ins with a couple of forum members, but things have been sorted and respect was shown in the end.

You do not seem to have that same respect for the majority of wonderful people that go on the forum to learn about Syd Barrett, discuss Syd Barrett, talk about anything and everything and sometimes have a good old laugh.

I don't think I come across as delusional, but I have been known to be a straight talker, and out of respect for the moderators, administration and other forum members I will reserve my real opinion of you my dear.
Beautifully put! This is why I consider you one of the most diplomatic people I have ever encountered. Bravo!
HazeyJaneAgain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HazeyJaneAgain »

SydsSexy and Kingfisher...two superb posts.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Metal Mickey wrote:You're kidding, right? That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the giggle! *I smell a Roger Waters fan*
Perhaps it was badly put, it was hardly meant to be a major part of the post

But to sum up what i mean here are two facts:

1. Roger went insane for a varuety of reasons, fame, drugs etc but it would not have happened had he not been in the band Pink Floyd (see where the music industry connection comes in)

2. Because he was in the band Pink Floyd which made him big indeed then he was unable to lead a normal life afterwards

Perhaps blaming 'the music industry' was a bad way of putting it. But regardless, thanks to people liking his music from 30+ years ago his chances of living a normal life after quiting the band were pretty much gone. Not a single incorrect word in there. I'm not suggesting these guys in suits went 'ho ho ho, lets ruin his life' etc
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

my breakfast. wrote:2) Creationists
Out of curiousity why?

I'm not speaking from a creationist point of view here, but i would never claim to hate them.

So in your personal opinion how was the world created, how did man come to be and how come we have such sophisticated anatomies? A lot of people tend to just take the piss out of Christianity without much of a grounding in the science they claim to support so i'm just wondering how you explain existence?

To me it seems you have religious intolerence to a ridiculous level (common amongst people your age) and i don't think you properly understand any of them

Except Guhranga people, they really piss me off too. A faith based on optimism and giving to charity can only go so far
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

David Smith wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:You're kidding, right? That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the giggle! *I smell a Roger Waters fan*
Perhaps it was badly put, it was hardly meant to be a major part of the post

But to sum up what i mean here are two facts:

1. Roger went insane for a varuety of reasons, fame, drugs etc but it would not have happened had he not been in the band Pink Floyd (see where the music industry connection comes in)

2. Because he was in the band Pink Floyd which made him big indeed then he was unable to lead a normal life afterwards

Perhaps blaming 'the music industry' was a bad way of putting it. But regardless, thanks to people liking his music from 30+ years ago his chances of living a normal life after quiting the band were pretty much gone. Not a single incorrect word in there. I'm not suggesting these guys in suits went 'ho ho ho, lets ruin his life' etc
Ok, that makes much more sense. Actually, I kind of knew you were using the "music industry" as an example but I had to be sure.

Sorry for coming across as a sarcastic b**ch! It's this thread and some of the abuses being hurled among Barrett fans...it brought out the worst in me. Apologies to you!

BTW, I enjoyed your story about your friend encountering Barrett in his local pub...clearly it really did bother him to be recognized. Oh yeah, and good for the locals for defending Roger!
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Metal Mickey wrote: Oh yeah, and good for the locals for defending Roger!
High five !
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

my breakfast. wrote:Well usually I'm blunt. This is because I put Syd Barrett stalkers very high up on my "people I hate" list. This is a quick over-view of that list.

1) Zionists

2) Creationists

3) Gurranga's (and other fringe, credibility-lacking freakshow religions)

4) Born again christians ("I fucked up my life, and if you read the bible, you won't fuck up yours" yeah right)

5) Syd Barrett Obsessive, deluded (in the strictest sense) dangerous "fans".
Quite a collection of hatred there... you might want to get rid of it; it won't appreciate in value.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

lovescene4 wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Well usually I'm blunt. This is because I put Syd Barrett stalkers very high up on my "people I hate" list. This is a quick over-view of that list.

1) Zionists

2) Creationists

3) Gurranga's (and other fringe, credibility-lacking freakshow religions)

4) Born again christians ("I fucked up my life, and if you read the bible, you won't fuck up yours" yeah right)

5) Syd Barrett Obsessive, deluded (in the strictest sense) dangerous "fans".
Quite a collection of hatred there... you might want to get rid of it; it won't appreciate in value.
This list could possibly be added to the old classic book as a contribution:

"How to win friends and influence people"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

lovescene4 wrote: Quite a collection of hatred there... you might want to get rid of it; it won't appreciate in value.
This list could possibly be added to the old classic book as a contribution:

"How to win friends and influence people"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Since you enjoy hating, Alan, I might continue my rain :)

2) Appetite for destruction, Alan ;) ?

4) I'm no big fan of Bible, either, even though it has some points sometimes, the Life itself teaches me those lessons, - but don't you think it's better to start a new life than to be a bastard to the grave :) ?
5) Dangerous... for who? You :lol: ?

Kingfisher, in that case I'd like to learn about Alan's friends to see what they are :)
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

So has this thread evolved into "Stalking my breakfast"? :lol: :lol:
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

GilmourGirl wrote:So has this thread evolved into "Stalking my breakfast"? :lol: :lol:

He likes to dish it out, I am sure he is man enough to take it. 8)
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

GilmourGirl wrote:So has this thread evolved into "Stalking my breakfast"? :lol: :lol:

Not only does he deserve it but he's probably loving all the attention. :roll: :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I just want to make him understand how it feels totally disrespected by a person, that's all :)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

moom wrote:
I just want to make him understand how it feels totally disrespected by a person, that's all :)

But so far I've only been disrespected by you, and you are an idiot, not a person.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

:lol: :lol: You two must really be brothers. Glad something on here still makes me laugh! :lol: :lol: