"Pigs Might Fly" - New Pink Floyd Book

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: "Pigs Might Fly" - New Pink Floyd Book

Post by Duckboy »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:The first part of the book has Syd in it naturally, but it goes into depth about Gilmour and his significance earlier on before he joined the Floyd and more detail about Wright, Waters and Mason.
It has a different vibe to other books I have read. So far to me it is detailed, without being long-winded, honest and an excellent read.
Must now go back to reading it. :D

yeah i especially liked the way it went into detail about all of them too... although it seemed about the firsty whole quarter was about syd which i found a bit much
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

It does dedicate a lot to Syd at the start, but it isn't wholly and solely about Syd though. I like the way the author integrates Gilmour's beginnings in more detail and how connected he was to Pink Floyd, even though he wasn't a member in the beginning. There is so much more that I have learnt about Pink Floyd in this book that I have ever realised. I have read once before that Syd actually contemplated including Gilmour as a member long before the other members asked him to join.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

The thing about Pink Floyd is that a lot of the backstory is unavoidable. A lot had happened even before they released Piper. And of course, you've got the great story (from a writer's point of view) of the band's lead singer going crazy.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

I am currently up to the bit where the band are recording Wish You were Here and Syd makes his infamous appearance at Abbey Road. I like how the book goes into detail about their concerts and the mishaps that they encountered. The exploding bins that blew out the stage wall in Ontario had me in stitches!
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

i think i should read it again just to pick up things i might have missed the first time.. thats the problem about biographies its hard to remember it all.. oh and i was in stitches about the guy facingbackwards in the concert pretending to be syd
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Is this book really, really, really worth buying?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

yep
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

I'm curious. How much of the information in this book is outside of the mainstream info that you can get just about anywhere? How much new insight is there?
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I have to have it
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

It is worth buying - one of the best published so far.

New information vs. old infomation?
Well, it does contain a lot of the quotes you've read in many other books, but brings in new quotes that balance out what you have read before. The context is just a lot better. For example, how many times have you read that syd was locked in a closet or bathroom by his flatmates, and he was never te same again as if it were fact? This book mentions it, but gives several people a chance to voice an opinion...so, finally you as a reader can speculate for yourself.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:The exploding bins that blew out the stage wall in Ontario had me in stitches!
which concert was this? Hamilton 1975? wots uh the deal?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:
kingfisher_flashing wrote:The exploding bins that blew out the stage wall in Ontario had me in stitches!
which concert was this? Hamilton 1975? wots uh the deal?
Yes, Hamilton.