The truth about Syd's mental condition.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: The truth about Syd's mental condition.

Post by Syd'sSexy »

You're probably right Bruce. You cannot dispute the fact though, that a side effect of taking excessive doses of Quaaludes is the development of stomach ulcers, which plagued Syd for many years. Of course that is a physiological and not a psychological symptom. I don't know enough about the pharmacology of either to know their long-term effects on the brain, but frankly, neither one is good. You are right though, Syd did take Mandrax when he was trying to cease dropping acid so regularly.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

Syd'sSexy wrote:You're probably right Bruce. You cannot dispute the fact though, that a side effect of taking excessive doses of Quaaludes is the development of stomach ulcers, which plagued Syd for many years. Of course that is a physiological and not a psychological symptom. I don't know enough about the pharmacology of either to know their long-term effects on the brain, but frankly, neither one is good. You are right though, Syd did take Mandrax when he was trying to cease dropping acid so regularly.
you are a goddess

we both love syd
and thats very very cool

peace kitty kat

Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

With every passing minute since Syd Barretts' death we get further and further from the truth about him.

...................right, Syd?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Idisaffect wrote:With every passing minute since Syd Barretts' death we get further and further from the truth about him.

...................right, Syd?
I think that was a bit of a pretencious post

Would you not say that now that he is dead and more sources are becoming public, then if anything chances are we will get closer and closer to the truth about him as time goes by
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

syd had bad days
and good days
the press tends to pick up on the bad days
and then make it like every day was a bad day

was syd insane ??? i don't know or care
syd found a place to exist and lived 30 plus yrs in that place

i love syd
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I don't think Syd would have been able to tell us what was wrong with him. What's the bet that even his family never found out what happened?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

David Smith wrote
I think that was a bit of a pretencious post
Would you not say that now that he is dead and more sources are becoming public, then if anything chances are we will get closer and closer to the truth about him as time

It was no more pretentious than Animals or The Wall. Two of the greatest albums ever made. It wasn't nearly as good as those 2 albums either. The "right, Syd?" part was a little pretentious, I guess.
It is my belief that, for the most part, the further we get from actual events in life the more we obscure what really happened. It's all too complex for any clear understanding. At least in this world. The only truth I need about Syd is in his songs. That is my relationship with him - I've heard his music and it moved me. I certainly don't mean to negate the comments of anyone above me on this thread.

I do hate pretense and I am sorry for coming off that way.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

rosemary syd's sister writes this .......
========>>>>>>>>>>>>
In 1964, aged eighteen, Syd enrolled at Camberwell Art School where he proved a talented artist (he always considered himself an artist rather than a musician). It was in 1965 that his road to fame began, when he joined a band that, after several changes of name and line up, became Pink Floyd (this was his invention, inspired by the names of two American blues singers, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council). As the band became increasingly famous he began to suffer the pressures of this fame and the associated rock star lifestyle. In time, he left the band and withdrew from the public eye. Syd found contentment when he returned to Cambridge, to live an anonymous and generally solitary life, supported by the constant care and unconditional love of his sister and best friend, Rosemary. She recalls Syd as 'a loving and unique man', who, although immersed in his thoughts and creativity, enjoyed time spent with his niece and nephews and, who had, in spite of his shyness, appreciated his neighbours and the local shopkeepers.

When he had settled back into his Cambridge life Syd continued with his painting. Sadly, Syd's desire to live firmly in the present (having no interest in his past nor any desire to exploit it) left him baffled by the unbidden and unbroken interest paid to him by journalists and fans alike. This, and his total disinterest in materialism, had a profound affect on his art. He would paint and, having finished a painting, photograph it and destroy the canvas. Syd also entertained a keen interest in DIY, although Rosemary admits that he was 'always laughing at his attempts, but he enjoyed it'.
>>>>>>>>>
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sounds like a regular guy.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

OK, This is my Theory; & just that:
1) Syd's Dad died when Syd was very young 2) At 18 or 19 he was turned down by the "Sang Mat" religious group for being too young 3) His mother coddled him as a youngster, told him how great he was & fed his ego to overflowing
4) Founded Floyd & by the time he's 20,is considered a star on the rise...too quick & WAY too soon 5) Realizes that what began as "Art" is now seen as strictly commercial pop music(in his mind): Dumb interviews, photo shoots & the most hellacious touring schedule I've ever heard of. 6) LOVED DRUGS; LSD & weed were his fav's; was known to take them
"By the shovelful"-D. Gilmour quote. Even his "Teacher" Mike Leonard said he was always "nipping off to the chemists to see what was there". 7) Nothing in common w/ his band mates except a little bit with R. Wright. None were "Hippies" (I hate that word,sorry!!). He WAS the only "Artist"
in the group, remember? Add all this up & mix accordingly. All of the above had a PROFOUND effect on Syd in some way, big or small. He simply tired of it after a SEVERE nervous breakdown (again, my theory) & wanted his old life back. He never could believe that we were all STILL interested in him 35-40 years after the fact. He had NO IDEA what he'd left behind.....Just listen to him....It's what we are all here for.....Right????Thanks for letting me ramble!!!!
sonsofthedesert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sonsofthedesert »

I think im getting intolerant in my old age,your all debating Syd Barrett's mental condition?

Based on what???Amateur psychiatry and speculation,what the hell would Mike Leonard and co know about L.S.D,dope etc?
Granted he must have been under enormous pressure from the likes of E.M.I, Jenner and King and the rest of the band,but he clearly made a decision to extracate himself from it come hell or high water.
This behaviour can also be described as ECCENTRIC! under extreme circumstances!!