AMUSED TO DEATH . Q SOUND ???

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Re: AMUSED TO DEATH . Q SOUND ???

Post by AsydWaters »

I mean what the ...You don't still know Q sound???
Sting or Mr. Gordon Summoner introduced us with this new amazing sound tech with his "Soul Cages" album.On Amused To Death;if you want to fully understand Q sound,then just put on your headphones instead of speakers;turn off all lights and just let go...you will the sound come alive and surround you and a feeling of being there inside the song can be acheieved.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

AsydWaters wrote:I mean what the ...You don't still know Q sound???
Sting or Mr. Gordon Summoner introduced us with this new amazing sound tech with his "Soul Cages" album.On Amused To Death;if you want to fully understand Q sound,then just put on your headphones instead of speakers;turn off all lights and just let go...you will the sound come alive and surround you and a feeling of being there inside the song can be acheieved.
hmm was g harrison the first to use q sound ???

and the phone part is just a cheap trick to highlite the q sound effects

asyd waters is correct here
playing the whole album w/ my sennheiser 595's really puts me in an inner outer space

davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

AsydWaters wrote:if you want to fully understand Q sound,then just put on your headphones instead of speakers;turn off all lights and just let go...you will the sound come alive and surround you and a feeling of being there inside the song can be acheieved.
well, i hate to burst your bubble, but the original q sound algorithm (the one used on atd) is meant to be used with speakers and not headphones. q sound labs reffers to this as q1. later, another algorithm was created for use with headphones, known as q2.

the way q1 works is it puts your speaks slightly out of phase with each other. if the speakers and listener are properly positioned, the 3d sound is created by the interation of the sound from the 2 speakers. essentially it's a sound "hologram".

the downside of that approach is that the listener must be positioned exactly in the middle of 2 speakers that are 180 degrees from each other and pointed directly at him/her. if you're off by just a few inches, the effect is diminished or lost entirely. that means that 2 people listening to the same album in a room together cannot both enjoy the 3d effects at the same time.

another problem is that some people with especially acute hearing can hear that the sound is slightly out of phase. albums using q sound tend to have a bit of a hollow sound to those listeners.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

thats why I said it works better thru headphones rather than the speakers!!!
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

AsydWaters wrote:thats why I said it works better thru headphones rather than the speakers!!!
you seem to have missed my point. q1 was developed to work with speakers. q2 was developed to work with headphones. atd used q1 not q2. the 3d sound is created by the interaction of the sound waves from 2 seperate speakers in a physical space, not in your ears. that's why q1 doesn't work with headphones. with headphones, the sound waves never interact with each other. they're going straight into your ears. any "3d" effects you're hearing while wearing headphones is just plain old stereo.

i know that you're probably about to post how wrong i am, and that you're sure that you're hearing the dog barking over your shoulder. trust me, the effect is much better using speakers. try it sometime.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

Point taken.I agree with you. The sound of horses running is very easy to be confused with 3d sound in any kind of listening enhancemet device.But the real 3D can only be heard thru speakers placed strategically as you mentioned above.What I find interesting is the clarity of the sounds.I know that Roger uses doppler effects too much;which is why I love it on his PACOHH album;every song has a car/vehicle's dopplers sound effect in it.Thanks for the technical knowledge.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

davidjay wrote:
AsydWaters wrote:thats why I said it works better thru headphones rather than the speakers!!!
you seem to have missed my point. q1 was developed to work with speakers. q2 was developed to work with headphones. atd used q1 not q2. the 3d sound is created by the interaction of the sound waves from 2 seperate speakers in a physical space, not in your ears. that's why q1 doesn't work with headphones. with headphones, the sound waves never interact with each other. they're going straight into your ears. any "3d" effects you're hearing while wearing headphones is just plain old stereo.

i know that you're probably about to post how wrong i am, and that you're sure that you're hearing the dog barking over your shoulder. trust me, the effect is much better using speakers. try it sometime.
qi does work
if you don't know what you don't know

since you have told me why it does not work
it has stopped working
thank you

davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

lostplay wrote:
davidjay wrote: you seem to have missed my point. q1 was developed to work with speakers. q2 was developed to work with headphones. atd used q1 not q2. the 3d sound is created by the interaction of the sound waves from 2 seperate speakers in a physical space, not in your ears. that's why q1 doesn't work with headphones. with headphones, the sound waves never interact with each other. they're going straight into your ears. any "3d" effects you're hearing while wearing headphones is just plain old stereo.

qi does work
if you don't know what you don't know

since you have told me why it does not work
it has stopped working
thank you

:lol:
sorry to ruin it for you, bruce.

it's like in the roadrunner cartoons when the coyote runs over the side of the cliff. he doesn't fall until he looks down and realizes he's gone over the edge.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

'beep beep;
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

Actually,The Roadrunner was inspired by a sound effect!!
There is almost never any spoken communication, save the Road Runner's "beep-beep" (which actually sounds more like "mheep-mheep") and the sticking-out of his tongue (which sounds like someone patting the opening of a glass bottle with the palm of their hand - that is how sound effects expert Treg Brown produced it.Julian first made the noise around the Warner Bros. lot (imitating a car horn) as a lighthearted means of getting people out of his way when he was in a hurry. At the producers' request, Julian performed several variations of the sound at a single recording session. Editor Treg Brown then sped up and looped some of them to make even more versions.