The Offical King Crimson Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

My God, it seems like I had bewitched and brought bad luck to my beloved band....
There is a special announcement that Trey Gunn leaves King Crimson and that's the end of this line-up of the band. Fripp's diaries from last months do not leave much hope - maybe it is even the end of the band. Or reducing it to an only-recording band, that would be not much better. Also Adrian Belew wants to focus mostly on his solo career. I just don't know what to think...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Yeah, I heard that too. Well, Im sure next KC lineup will be.. something. :shock: Mr. Fripp still has lot of aces in hes sleeve. :D but this is still quite a shock.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I hope so......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks Diin Jaffa for consolation, maybe now we would have double amount of great albums - by Trey and by reformed KC. Some people even suggested, that Tony Levin or Greg Lake would come back :shock:
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Blaah! I would want Wetton back. :D Then KC would have two lead vocalists.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Yes,me too... I prefer Wetton to Lake, that "LTIN"-"Red"-"SABB" line-up is my favourite. Amazing voice and cool bass player.
But I liked the latest line-up very much, too, and I would miss Trey very much :cry:
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Anna-Roza wrote:But I liked the latest line-up very much, too, and I would miss Trey very much :cry:
yes. Well, Think about fans that have been fans since they started. :lol: oh, the horrors they have faced. :o
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Oh, yes, it's like living on the vulcano - everything seems fine, and then suddenly :shock: ...

Of course, I can't remeber the Wetton line-up, and the color trilogy from the 80s was also discovered afterwards. But I started to listen to them (from "ITCOTCK", as most of the people) just before they have ressurected and the double trio was born, with the beautiful "Thrak" album. A few yers later, I had to survive Tony Levin and Bill Bruford leaving, that was really dissappointing :( . And then that poor "CoL" album... But "The Power to Believe" album, "Deja Vroom" DVD and seeing them live really gave me "the power to believe" in the band again. I didn't expect the double duo is going to die so soon... :cry:
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Im new to KC bt the songs Ive heard are great. Starless is excellent, it has a laid back feel that reminds me of the french band Air. Great music.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I think that ITCOTCK is overrated. I enjoy Red though.
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't want to see Wetton back in Crimson. The Crimson music today has changed a lot since Wetton was in the band, and frankly I don't believe he could play the new songs nor Fripp going back to the 1970's style. And since Wetton has (had) problems with alcohol, he's pretty much retired from the road.

But it Crimson splitting up... :cry:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Must admit you're right... Adrian Belew is the only one who is capable of singing all their stuff (however, his "21st Century Schizoid Man" was highly dissappointing...), and I can't imagine KC coming back too line-up with only one guitar player. Nowadays, it even seems that Adrian is the lead guitarist, not Robert Fripp. He is also the first one KC vocalist who writes lyrics by himself...
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Hmmm... cannot remember Belew singing Schizoid Man.
And whenever there's that ultra-fast guitar thing it's Fripp for sure. He's incredibly fast.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Anna-Roza wrote:He is also the first one KC vocalist who writes lyrics by himself...
what about Wetton?
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

I'm not 100% sure, but at least in most cases lyrics were by Palmer-James.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Wetton didn't write lyrics for KC, all the lyrics were by Richard Plamer-Jones at that time, excluding "One More Red Nightmare".
And coming back to guitarists - yes, Fripp is still the master, and all the amazing fast pieces like "Frame by Frame" owe their greatness to Fripp. But during concerts most of the solos, even the most important ones, are played by Adrian Belew.
Funny thing is that during these solos, Fripp is looking at Adrian like a teacher at a pupil standing in front of the blackboard and being examined... After about twenty years of playing together...

And, Heikki, you can compare the four KC vocalists singing "Schizoid..." on the "Deja Vroom" DVD. Adrian is the worst one, unfortunately, I don't know why... Also on some "official bootlegs" from the 90s you can hear him singing this song; afterwards, he decided not to do it anymore.