Flaming Lips

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flaming Lips

Post by snifferdog »

Those kids look like they're all set to spend Christmas on Mars...
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

seamusz wrote:This Halloween:

yoshimi battles the pink robots [-D-] [-D-]
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

They were the most commented on costumes everywhere we went, but no one had a clue what they were. We got tired of explaining, so when people would ask, we'd just say "they're pink robots." like it was obvious. Anyway the funniest thing was Owen (the wee robot) couldn't touch his hands together, so he'd get super frustrated when he had a piece of candy in one hand, and his bag o' treats in the other, and couldn't manage to get the candy in the bag.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The Flaming lips are playing the Eden Project on the 30th June - check them out
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

drafsack wrote:The Flaming lips are playing the Eden Project on the 30th June - check them out
thanks for that. I believe I shall go.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

PooF wrote:
drafsack wrote:The Flaming lips are playing the Eden Project on the 30th June - check them out
thanks for that. I believe I shall go.
Yeh me too - tickets already in hand
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

drafsack wrote: Yeh me too - tickets already in hand
And I have mine.
henno

Post by henno »

seamusz... thats fecking deadly!!!!! :D love it.

on the topic of the lips, did anoyone ever actually try to listen to their album that was supposed to be played on 4 different steros at the same time??? or was that actually a wind up??

zaireeka i think.....
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Draftsack sent me a CD with all four Zaireeka albums in one and it works quite well! I listen to it a lot. thanks again, man! I have the individual CD's but never got the energy to acquire four players in the same room.
henno

Post by henno »

cwta eugene wrote:Draftsack sent me a CD with all four Zaireeka albums in one and it works quite well! I listen to it a lot. thanks again, man! I have the individual CD's but never got the energy to acquire four players in the same room.
that would be my issue too LOL

i know its available on a one cd format.... but id still like to give the 4 cds a go just to say i did it :)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Should there not be 5 CDs of Zaireeka?

The Lips don't seize to amaze - new release inside a Gummy scull!
http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/04/f ... y-musical/

I guess the record will taste yummy. Mmmmm............
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

henno wrote:
cwta eugene wrote:Draftsack sent me a CD with all four Zaireeka albums in one and it works quite well! I listen to it a lot. thanks again, man! I have the individual CD's but never got the energy to acquire four players in the same room.
that would be my issue too LOL

i know its available on a one cd format.... but id still like to give the 4 cds a go just to say i did it :)
I did it once - it took a lot of planning and visits to various argos stores around bristol to get 4 identical stereos. set them up and got all 4 to start playing at pretty much the same time. Having the music coming out of 8 speakers was a bit of a mind fuck and worth the effort. For the next play I started each player off one at a time so it played out of time and this was an even bigger mind fuck especially when playing 'March of the rotten vegetabes' and the big ol bug. had to take all 4 sterios back to get my money back so haven't done it since.

If you are interested they have done something simular but this time with 12 tracks that need to be played at the same time:

THE FLAMING LIPS are pleased to announce the release of their first new music since their acclaimed albums, EMBRYONIC (released in October 2009) and "The Flaming Lips & Stardeath And White Dwarfs With Henry Rollins And Peaches Doing The Dark Side Of The Moon" (released in April 2010). The brand-new composition will take the form of a digital streaming "single," entitled "TWO BLOBS F**KING," and will be released appropriately enough today, Valentine's Day, February 14th, at noon PST only at: http://www.youtube.com/flaminglipsfree. This piece of music is conceptually, romantically, and scientifically just what one would come to expect from the world's most predictably unpredictable band. The intrepid Oklahoma-based artists have created a set of multiple tracks that, when combined with their melodic counterparts, will equate to the first-ever musical experience of its kind and, in this form, has never been done before.

"TWO BLOBS F**KING" will stream along with videos as 12 individual tracks that ultimately create one complete song, in much the same manner and concept as other past "audio experiments" conducted by THE LIPS, including the four-disc ZAIREEKA album (October 1997), which was intended to be listened to when played on multiple machines simultaneously.

You may also recall that, around the same time, THE FLAMING LIPS conducted a series of auto-audio "Parking Lot Experiments" around the country in which the band invited fans to secret locations utilizing 40 cars equipped with sound systems that were strategically arranged in patterns around a parking lot. Each car was assigned a cassette tape best suited to that car's position and stereo power. Once frontman Wayne Coyne instructed each car, by cassette number, to press play, the auto symphony began. The next logical step, "The Boombox Experiments," toured various cities around the world utilizing 101 boomboxes and cassettes, each with different pieces of music or sound effects. Wayne and guitarist Steven Drozd would "conduct" the controlled cacophony while bassist Michael Ivins would manipulate the PA with psychotic volume surges and panning effects.
2011's modern progression introduces the mobile experiment meant to be experienced and enjoyed in the most socially interactive way possible: "TWO BLOBS F**KING" was created specifically for iPhone-type devices. Imagine the lo-fi symphonic joy that you, along with family, friends, pets, and others, will create at the touch of a button. The more devices, the more harmonic possibilities can be constructed. You and your device, at one with the music, become the orchestra, just as the Gods of Technology naturally intended it to be.

Instructions on how to enjoy this musical creation by THE FLAMING LIPS will be available at the site as well: http://www.youtube.com/flaminglipsfree.

Moom the main Zaireeka is 4 discs there is a 5th disc but this like rocking horse shit as it was given away by wayne at a 10th anniversary party for zaireeka -A version of the 5th disc is also availabe on the 10th anniversary Zaireeka dvd although you can get a torrent of it from some sites.

There 3 tracks of the 5 disc mix here to download http://www.mediafire.com/?8a863n5n128p086
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Cool update on another interesting experimental piece!!

I believe drafsack was the one who sent me Zaireeka on one disc. Thanks for that!!!
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Why don't we all get on Skype or something and perform an online Zaireeka listening experiment? I'll start the first disc before Drafsack starts the second, henno the third, etc. Might be a lot of fun. Or maybe just a huge headache :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

drafsack wrote:
Moom the main Zaireeka is 4 discs there is a 5th disc but this like rocking horse shit as it was given away by wayne at a 10th anniversary party for zaireeka -A version of the 5th disc is also availabe on the 10th anniversary Zaireeka dvd although you can get a torrent of it from some sites.

There 3 tracks of the 5 disc mix here to download http://www.mediafire.com/?8a863n5n128p086
Oh... okay. Thanks for clearing it up :lol: And the link.