Leaving Beruit is a great tune

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Leaving Beruit is a great tune

Post by oz1701 »

bpmolder wrote:I don't care for this track at all. Killing The Child was even worse, especially with the annoying recycling of the "Donald Duck light" line. I'm usually not a nay sayer about such things, but these two songs really put me off. They were shockingly bad in my opinion.
...and in the opinion of everyone who has ears :lol:

i dont know the killing the child song and i have only heard the bay-rum song once at roger's concert - didnt like it - i much preferred his version of dogs of war.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

bpmolder wrote:I don't care for this track at all. Killing The Child was even worse, especially with the annoying recycling of the "Donald Duck light" line. I'm usually not a nay sayer about such things, but these two songs really put me off. They were shockingly bad in my opinion.
I personally found "To Kill The Child" a pretty good tune. The point it makes is a bit misunderstood to many people, but the point is great. Yes, I am also annoyed with the "Donald Duck light" line, but what the hell. Waters is an old fart, he can let himself get repetitive from time to time.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

I meant To Kill The Child. Sorry.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I like To Kill The Child...this song I hope is an indication of what he might do with an album.
Darkest Side
Axe
Axe

Post by Darkest Side »

The song is terrific musically but I agree with a few others here saying that Roger let it down lyrically. Sure, he has his moments of brilliance like in my favourite couple of lines...

Not in my name, Tony, you great war leader you
Terror is still terror, whosoever gets to frame the rules
History's not written by the vanquished or the damned
Now we are Genghis Khan, Lucretia Borghia, Son of Sam

...but he loses it when it resorts to cursing George Bush and when he leaves the song hanging on "How does the story end?"

And if he's so against war what's his divine solution??
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

And, of course, Bush doesn't have a Texas education.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Please forgive the negativity here, but it seems like his solution is to try to pump a dry well. I obviously don't believe he has anything substantial to contribute artistically any more besides the occasional anti-war, government critical ditty. Let's face it though, he has been doing this since Corporal Clegg in one way or another, but at least he has made his rants flow a little better in the past.

I guess I am just disappointed in his desire to only focus on one narrow subject as his source of inspiration. If he insists on making statements, why not just leave his music to express the broad, unlimited number of thoughts and feelings that there are in today's world. If he wants to protest the insanity of Western civilization, why not take it up with the UN like the rest of the people who try to use their celebrity status to get their opinions heard?
Darkest Side
Axe
Axe

Post by Darkest Side »

bpmolder wrote: If he wants to protest the insanity of Western civilization, why not take it up with the UN like the rest of the people who try to use their celebrity status to get their opinions heard?
I see where you're coming from, but music is one of the most powerful ways to get through to people and gain support for a cause. Think about what people like Bob Dylan have done with their music.

And remember what the Red Hot Chili Peppers said in Give It Away: "music, the great communicator...."
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Darkest Side wrote:I see where you're coming from, but music is one of the most powerful ways to get through to people and gain support for a cause. Think about what people like Bob Dylan have done with their music.

And remember what the Red Hot Chili Peppers said in Give It Away: "music, the great communicator...."
Sure, this is true, but firstly, there is no need to spend 40 years saying the same thing over and over again ad nauseum and secondly, there are an infinite amount of things to communicate through music, some things of which words alone can't possibly express.

All I am saying is that it has been done to death. We get it. He detests war. He doesn't trust the government. He thinks world leaders are misguided idiots. He thinks his father was an unnecessary casualty of all of the above.

When something is repeated enough, it starts to pale and weaken. It's the worst way to continue to spread a message.

If I ever met him face to face and had the chance to offer my thoughts about it all, I would say, "The dead horse called! He said, 'Stop beating me!'"
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

My, my isn't bpmolder the cranky one. You know, most "artists" (I'm not sure any of the PF are artists) only have one or two things they communicate and typically fall into redundancy at some point.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

nosaj wrote:My, my isn't bpmolder the cranky one. You know, most "artists" (I'm not sure any of the PF are artists) only have one or two things they communicate and typically fall into redundancy at some point.
Touche, nosaj. It does make me a bit "cranky" as you put it because it's hard to like a person's back catalog and songwriting style in general, but keep having to endure the same ideas being regurgitated over and over again. It's especially sad with Roger, who has published some truly brilliant lyrics in songs. Songs like Leaving Beirut are pretty weak in comparison to his past works.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

its what happens when you only write one new song in fifteen years
(alright, four new songs)
Rogers gotten rusty he's so out of practice
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

loved the live performance of the song in Dublin earlier this year (not totally convinced by the visuals)

I don't think the well has run dry - Flickering Flame (esp the solo acoustic performance) and Each Small candle are both exceptional

FF deserves special mention - chord changes and music are very affecting and the imagery used is amazing. I dont know about you guys but lines like 'And the women break their bracelets, And the men take their whisky outside' say a huge amount in only 16 syllables.

I really think that if Rog is going to progress as an artist and produce any future work of relevance it will be by following this vein rather than the anti-war stuff - slagging Bush's education will not stop a single bullet Rog, writing about empathy and humanity can affect a change on a deeper level.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

It's not the subject matter, it's the fact that they're just not strong enough. In my opinion there's nothing at all wrong with the subject matter of both "to Kill the Child" and "leaving Beirut". Both make strong points, they are just musically, melodically and lyrically weak. I'm sure Roger could do better with them after re-working them (if he can be bothered).
It's funny how people get annoyed with political statements so easily, but it's what Roger does. It's what he's always done. He has three threads that he follows. The first is empathy and understanding, the second is political railing and the third is relationships between men and women. If you felt lazy you could drop these all under the catch-all title of "the Human Condition". Everything from Echoes through to now.
I don't think he should just give up being political because he wrote a weak song, just that he should re-work the song to give it a greater impact...I want to get shivers down my spine...not cringe at the verse melody or weak rhyming lyrics thanks Rog ;)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

peesea wrote:It's funny how people get annoyed with political statements so easily, but it's what Roger does.
If you are referring to me, then I suggest you re-read my posts because what I actually said is that I am annoyed at the same subject being beaten to death for 40 years.

If you are not referring to me and are just speaking of people in general, then it is true that most get annoyed at politics, as well as religion for that matter. That's because most people aren't happy unless everyone is living the way they are told to and everyone loves their country and Jesus.

I believe Roger's melodies and lyrics are weak because he is straining to write the same old stuff. Some things, however good of a message they may contain, do not work well as songs.