Crocodiles Music Video

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Re: Crocodiles Music Video

Post by filthyfish »

I think the idea is fine, and I didnt watch it far enough to see a human get eaten, which I wouldn't mind, thats fair game, If the hunter has equal prey then I am ok with that, until we learnt how to make and use weopons we were quite low in the food chain. Maybe we should have stayed there!! :)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hell yeah :D
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Yeah, I just don't want people to be offended by what we are doing, that's all. If I see that it is a possibility, I feel the need to at least point it out. Getting people into our music means, obviously, putting a product out there that will appeal to as many people as possible. We're not trying to make any political statements or express extreme beliefs or anything like that, just make good music in tribute of Pink Floyd, kinda keep that spirit of progressive music and concept albums going even if they have ceased that themselves.

So I believe that promotional tools such as videos should follow at least this criteria, in no particular order:

1. Be as unoffensive as possible
2. Accurately convey the message in our music and concept album
3. Tell the story of this band Charybdis and what they have set out to accomplish
4. Be accessible to as wide of a demographic as possible
5. Not step on any political, religious or historical toes

I know a lot of you are thinking that there is a gutlessness in being politically correct. It's not exactly what I mean. I'm just saying that making overt statements that are, or can be construed as, bold, really doesn't serve the purpose of our project.

Unfortunately, the original footage in this Crocodiles video didn't fit any one of those 5 points. It vaguely covered #2.

So that's all I mean. I didn't mean to nit pick it for any personal reason or anything like that. I had the broader scope of things in mind but just needed time to ponder how to express it and what I believe our goals should be when promoting our music.

I very much appreciate Tanner's efforts. I just think that doing it a little differently would be far better.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I totally agree with you Geoff. I wasn't suggesting we keep the video with that footage, merely pointing out the fact that tribespeople hunting for survival is a far cry from deliberate animal cruelty, and I would never condone animal cruelty. Nevertheless, I did find the footage disturbing, as did others, and that's not the image we wish to project with our project, and that's why I agree with you. Plus, as you pointed out, it doesn't really visually convey the meaning of the song. Tanner does a great job putting together these videos and I'm sure he can come up with something else that is brilliant for Crocodiles. You are right, the purpose of this project has always been an original tribute to Pink Floyd, never any political statement, and I think it should remain as such. Pink Floyd made the political statements, we're just making the statement that we love the music of Pink Floyd.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I totally agree with you Geoff. I wasn't suggesting we keep the video with that footage, merely pointing out the fact that tribespeople hunting for survival is a far cry from deliberate animal cruelty, and I would never condone animal cruelty. Nevertheless, I did find the footage disturbing, as did others, and that's not the image we wish to project with our project, and that's why I agree with you. Plus, as you pointed out, it doesn't really visually convey the meaning of the song. Tanner does a great job putting together these videos and I'm sure he can come up with something else that is brilliant for Crocodiles. You are right, the purpose of this project has always been an original tribute to Pink Floyd, never any political statement, and I think it should remain as such. Pink Floyd made the political statements, we're just making the statement that we love the music of Pink Floyd.
Right, in agreement with your statement about Pink Floyd making statements that we are not making statements about ourselves, but rather making statements that the statements were made by them. I read you loud and clear. :lol: