Listen To Zee Here Free

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Listen To Zee Here Free

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I remember seeing Zee in the store in the 80's and I think there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap indicating it was Rick Wright of Pink Floyd, but I was not inspired at all by the artwork or song titles or anything, so I gave it a pass. I always wondered if I'd missed something, but when I did finally hear it many years later I was glad then that I gave it a pass back then.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I remember seeing Zee in the store in the 80's and I think there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap indicating it was Rick Wright of Pink Floyd, but I was not inspired at all by the artwork or song titles or anything, so I gave it a pass. I always wondered if I'd missed something, but when I did finally hear it many years later I was glad then that I gave it a pass back then.
I don't recall seeing it at all and only found out about it some years later (from the Brain-Damage web site I think). I guess the publicity at the time was suitably low-key to cover embarassment
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Beowulf wrote:
Exactly, vive la diffrence. If we all liked/did the same things there would be little to talk about.
We'd bore each other to death and never get to truth* :)

*they say, through arguing we reach the truth.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

At least though by directing us to that MySpace page, the OP has enabled those of us who'd never heard Zee's stuff to wish we'd never heard it. :lol: Nice find all the same.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Beowulf wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote:I remember seeing Zee in the store in the 80's and I think there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap indicating it was Rick Wright of Pink Floyd, but I was not inspired at all by the artwork or song titles or anything, so I gave it a pass. I always wondered if I'd missed something, but when I did finally hear it many years later I was glad then that I gave it a pass back then.
I don't recall seeing it at all and only found out about it some years later (from the Brain-Damage web site I think). I guess the publicity at the time was suitably low-key to cover embarassment
Oh yeah, I recall there was no fanfare whatsoever...I would not have even seen it if I hadn't been rifling through everything on the shelf looking for something interesting. And I only noticed it because there was this sticker, which had a photo of Rick Wright that looked very new wavy (duotone I think, black + white + pink) and mentioned his name and the Pink Floyd name. But nothing else about it interested me, even without hearing it.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

At the time it wasn't all that bad though, right? :? To me, it's got traces of Tears For Fears and Duran Duran. Those two bands have withstood the test of time, I believe, because people just accept that they come from a time with lots of heavy-synths and electronic drums. There is a large amount of people, although relatively small when compared to music listeners as a whole, who appreciate that sound. Most of it sounds so awful to us because it's so far removed from Pink Floyd, but put it in the context of the time and it's easier to digest.

I just thought of something. How many people here would have PF on an Ipod, with random play, and be able to digest listening to "Grand Viziers Garden Party Part 1" then "Time" back to "Pow R Toch H" on to "Your Possible Pasts" before "Echoes" turns into "Vera" and finishes off with "A Spanish Piece"? I certainly couldn't do it very easily. I have certain days where one style is more digestable than another, which is probably why it's been a long time since I sat down and listened to "More" and "AHM" although I like both albums. Why can't "Zee" and "AMLOR" be thrown into the mix and just be appreciated for what they are?
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

cwta eugene wrote:At the time it wasn't all that bad though, right? :? To me, it's got traces of Tears For Fears and Duran Duran
Does this strike anyone else as somewhat of an oxymoron?
cwta eugene wrote:Why can't "Zee" and "AMLOR" be thrown into the mix and just be appreciated for what they are?
I don't like to openly criticise others' tastes - each to their own and all that - but to bracket Zee and A Momentary Lack Of Reason together as similarly regarded works really does seem borderline: Zee was (in my humble opinion) a largely unknown, unregarded and much disliked release; A Momentary Lack Of Reason was a popular and enduring album that is highly regarded by many (but subject to minor criticism by a few).

I think there was an interesting point being made by cwta eugene ... but it's in danger of of being lost by some strangeness in the the way it's being put forward. Or maybe it's just me (usually is).
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I grew up in the 80s and still like music from that decade. I can live with the synths. Yes, AMLOR sounds 80s-ish but not appallingly so, though The Dogs of War would've sounded horrible in any decade. It's not a perfect album but it does have Sorrow and On The Turning Away.

The Zee stuff on the other hand, isn't very good. From what I've heard of it, it's just unmemorable stuff with no hooks to make you listen again.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I don't like to openly criticise others' tastes - each to their own and all that - but to bracket Zee and A Momentary Lack Of Reason together as similarly regarded works really does seem borderline: Zee was (in my humble opinion) a largely unknown, unregarded and much disliked release; A Momentary Lack Of Reason was a popular and enduring album that is highly regarded by many (but subject to minor criticism by a few).
I only placed the two together because they both seem to be attacked by those who hate the over-the-top 80's feel to them and furthermore, they are both attacked as being far removed from other albums in their categories: Zee seems far removed from Wet Dream and Broken China, AMLOR seems far removed from PF. And here AMLOR seems to be highly disregarded. I don't know how new you are to the forum, Beowulf, you could have had some other identity here in a past life, but search old threads and you'll find either one of two things happening: either those who like AMLOR are not speaking up for it enough or they are in consensus with those who do not like the album and clearly state it.

P.S.-If you are new, welcome! I'm always amazed by people who can get a third of my post count in a week when that same number would take me a year and a half! 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

cwta eugene wrote:
P.S.-If you are new, welcome! I'm always amazed by people who can get a third of my post count in a week when that same number would take me a year and a half! 8)
He ain't new, he's a recurring member. He quit in 2005 under an another name. Maybe now he got his previous posts back :) .
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

moom wrote:
cwta eugene wrote:
He ain't new, he's a recurring member. He quit in 2005 under an another name. Maybe now he got his previous posts back :) .
Correct, I posted for awhile in 2005 (I think) as rthresh - not much; maybe 50 posts(?) Back now as another me
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Admittedly, I just passed up the "Confusion" 12" single in a Pittsburgh store a little while ago... now I regret not grabbing it! :-(
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Beowulf wrote:Exactly, vive la diffrence. If we all liked/did the same things there would be little to talk about.
I am going to add a little difference. I am not saying this album is all that great, but I am disappointed by the reactions of the people here. I have heard an awful lot of music in my time covering many styles. It's an education and allows one to take a more balanced view of what's on offer.

Seems to me most of you took one quick listen and rejected it because it's so alien to what you are used to. Well I'm afraid to say, despite the merits of this album not being so high as some of Rick's output, I really do think your reactions reflect more on yourselves than on the music:
I'd never heard any of ZEE's stuff before ..... still wish I hadn't .... that was fuckin awful shite.
No, it's not great by any stretch of the imagination but at least now I can say I've heard it and need never think of it again.
Ouch I have earache now
I obtained Zee a while ago, and I wouldn't listed to that stuff again even if they paid me to.
one of the worst pieces reccorded ever
At least though by directing us to that MySpace page, the OP has enabled those of us who'd never heard Zee's stuff to wish we'd never heard it.
Based on these kinds of reaction I really do think some of you should take a breath and try and give it another chance...

It's not so bad. I listened again after years. I used the myspace site but I do have an original vinyl copy somewhere in my brother's attic.
Methinks you lot listen to too much rock music and not enough other stuff. Sure it's dated, but the first track is actually pretty good and Rick's vocals and keyboards - even Floydian at times - can be heard throughout.
I listened to it twice over, back to back and I must say it's not nearly so bad as I expected, remembered or that you people make out.
Also, props to Rick for doing something remotely different and not making more soft rock or Dark Side/Shine On rip off crap like it sounds some of you might have been happy with!

Good for Rick is what I say. Goes to show he was more than a one-trick pony with tastes and influences far wider than the safe route. There's even a track towards the end that's reminiscient of what Jon Michel Jarre was doing around the same time with Zoolook, another album many mainstream fans don't get (although unlike Identity, that album IS actually great).

Having heard Zee's Identity again I just respect Rick even more.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Atom Heart Sun wrote:Having heard Zee's Identity again I just respect Rick even more.
... and I and many others respect him too for doing it. You're right, it would have been easier for him to do something more 'expected' and the work on Identity was a brave choice. I have re-listened to it, several times in the last week, and yet still struggle to find much that suits my ears. But if musicians don't take risks then they will never grow and develop, becoming stuck in the rut of producing variations on the same old material with ever dcreasing returns.

I do vaguely recall, however, reading a quote from Rick about how much he (with hindsight) was less than happy with the outcome ... though perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyway, Thanks to Atom heart Sun for raising a 'different voice'
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Personally, having listened to it just the once, I doubt if I would have even given it a complete play if it weren't for the Richard Wright connection.