Rick Wright, RIP - 1943 - 2008

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008 - Pay Respects Here

Post by moom »

davidjay wrote:Image

"Won't hear a sound
From my mouth
I've spent too long
On the inside out
My skin is could
To the human touch
This bleeding heart's
Not beating much"

goodbye rick. :(
I've just watched it on YT and played guitar to it , and tried to sing

There's a lot of great Rick tributes on YouTube. You can just type Richard Wright in the search bar, but hey

I've chosen some of the best for ya already :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5UjNpwtbc - with some good tune by band's fav band, Beatles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icPk3lmeVhQ - moments when Rick was cheerful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflRAcPOSbk - Rick's own farewell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytbO_LnrOIc - Rick in Roger's chair... Really great graphics!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPzG-MzHiw - his masterpiece... eternal masterpiece... originally called, ironically, Mortality Sequence...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxYLCnM7OyM - another Master's Piece... again, about death... and great selection of pictures, including the wonderful outro picture...................

Tell me what you think of my choices.
boatman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by boatman »

Shocked..... we will never hear you again .....
Tears are in my eyes

Sincere condolences to his close friends and family

Peter
sami
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sami »

Rest in peace Mr Richard, God bless you!
Amber
Axe
Axe

Post by Amber »

Oh my gosh...

RIPxxxxxxx
atottduke1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by atottduke1 »

I found out on brain-damage.co.uk about Rick's passing. I went to David Gilmour's official site to see if more surprises were leaked about Live in Gdansk before its release and it had a thing about Rick Wright which (at first) I thought was a essay on how happy he is to play with Rick until I read the end and it said I'll miss him. Then I knew something was wrong. I then went to brain-damage.co.uk and I read the sad news and became another dark day for me (after my mom's death last year). We now have lost a fourth member of the PF family in this decade alone after Steve O'Rourke and Michael Kamen both died in fall of 2003, Syd Barrett in 2006 and now Rick. Devastated is not the word to describe how I feel, I feel like someone took a shotgun and shot me in the chest. Wright was my other favorite member of Pink Floyd alongside David Gilmour and Syd Barrett.
julio montoya
Embryo
Embryo

Post by julio montoya »

Well, this is a reminder that we’re not getting any younger, and that we better enjoy what we have while we can.

When I heard the news, I just played “The great gig in the sky”. I hope that the words that I heard in the background were exactly the same in Rick’s mind in his last days or moments. “I’m not frightened of dying…anytime will do…”. That’s our destiny.

I’m thankfull that Richard made my life better with his music. I think that he fulfilled a role in this life, and he should have been happy for that. He, along with all the PF guys, gave us the gift of their music. What a great way to leave your mark.

I respect his decision of not revealing his illness before. He was entitled to it, and whatever his intentions, I know that he knew that he was dearly appreciated and loved by his fans.

So thank you very much Rick.

And thank you too, Syd, David, Roger and Nick.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

I was working a night shift with nothing but my thoughts last night and it finally hit me how sad I actually was.

I know when Syd died it was sad and all but it didn't really effect any of our lives because he wasn't adding anything new to it, we had his music and it will always be that way.

but when someone dies who is still relatively young it is a real shame because he had a lot more to give us. I feel the same when I think about Jeff Buckley, I get sad thinking I'll never hear another note played by him or another chord let alone a whole song.

I am glad in a way that I don't own Broken China, I will buy it now and not listen to it right away, maybe save it for a month or 2 or maybe even a year and listen to it when the time is perfectly right.

It also hit me hard when I realised Pink Floyd was over, there are no reunions, no more one offs and as great as live 8 was I wasn't even a fan of them at the time so missed out on the massive event and I hoped they would do something else together, wherever it would be I knew I would get there, doing whatever I had to to get tickets, but that hope has also died.

I wrote a song a while ago and whenever someone dies I always think of a line from it that I am preety proud of writing

"I don't believe in Heaven, but I pray to god I'm wrong"

and if I am I will see you there Rick
ictmanager
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ictmanager »

Rick, you were, and still are, an unsung hero. Your quiet modest ways were an anathema to today's world. You may not have written the majority of the music or lyrics to many of the Floyd's sounds, but as so many people attest to, your contribution was often what made the band flow. In essence, you were the basis upon which Roger and David floated their ideas so beautifully. Without Syd to start the ball rolling, or you to maintain the balance, the band would not have been quite the same. We will always remember the four of you together, probably unaware of your individual differences, but oh, how we appreciated what you all did. Thank you. I will always treasure that chance meeting on the beach. God speed, mate.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Keith Jordan wrote:Rick made Pink Floyd for me I think. His atmospheric keyboard/organ playing added so much.
I couldn't have said it any better. I just found out about this last night and have been inconsolable. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rest in Peace Rick. I adored you.
galvfrac
Embryo
Embryo

Post by galvfrac »

What a sad day for music and Pink Floyd lovers, my respects to the family. :(
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:Rick made Pink Floyd for me I think. His atmospheric keyboard/organ playing added so much.
I couldn't have said it any better. I just found out about this last night and have been inconsolable. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rest in Peace Rick. I adored you.
How sad is this??? It's too much. I still cannot stop crying.

Our radio station Triple M Melbourne played a tribute to Pink Floyd last night which included the whole set of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, apparently never played in its entirety on commercial radio. The last part just dripped with Rick's keyboards. I bloody bawled my eyes out. :( :( :(
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Enjoy Heaven Richard. :smt051 :smt051
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Thank you for the wonderful links Moom.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

I watched the first youtube clip Moom selected with George Harrison singing Isn't it a Pity. It was so beautiful. Such a touching tribute.
terrydixon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by terrydixon »

I visited Richards wab site yesterday morn for the first time. Always loved him. then last might I heard of his death. WOW