Rick Wright, RIP - 1943 - 2008

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
The New machine
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008 - Pay Respects Here

Post by The New machine »

Another great Rock Hero passes to the place he created The Great Gig In The Sky
may Love be with you
Mark
http://www.thenewmachine.co.uk
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

justabag... and KF, thank you... I cried while I watched :(
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

The news came to me as a shock;cos I wasn't aware of his cancer illness.When I opened the newspaper and as I was turning the pages i saw Rick's photo and the headline "Pink Floyd...Passes Away";i fumbled and went on to read the article and the obituary to Rick Wright.
I don't have words that will suffice of the loss i feel.However his melodies and his music will keep him alive in our mind.
I would like to pay homage on behalf of all the Indian fans of Pink Floyd.
May his soul R.i.P.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

AsydWaters wrote:The news came to me as a shock;cos I wasn't aware of his cancer illness.
Me, too. They don't even know what kind of cancer it was.
terrydixon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by terrydixon »

going to miss him RIP Richard
moonrock62
Axe
Axe

Post by moonrock62 »

:( Can't believe it. Another piece of the Floyd gone. In your music so you live on. Rest in Peace mate.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

I didnt know untill stuart phoned me (simpledumbpilot) and told me ?? not been on the net alot lately or watchin the news

so i have come here to pay my respects and condolences to the family
and to say rest in peace

thank you
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008

Post by Beowulf »

animal77 wrote:i am totaly in shock i never knew anything was even wrong with him. i was just listening to him, and the floyd guys music today as i do every day... what a total shock.
It seems you are not alone - none of us knew.
Emilio
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Emilio »

A very big kiss to the family he was one of my idols
RIP
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

The first album I bought was Relics. The first Floyd I learned to play (aged 12) was "Paintbox" off that album, a song I played around with on piano and later as an organ scholar, on the organ in Rochester Cathedral (very naughty!). I learned the whole album, and that's where my Rock roots began.

Thanks to copying Rick's playing, I got started the right way on Keys, breaking away from the awful classical Piano mode I was stuck in and discovering you really can do some great weird stuff if you break some rules. Rick never was the world's greatest keyboardist, but he didn't need to be because he was, more importantly, inventive, original, and a very clever arranger.

The shock of finding he left us two days ago still hasn't faded. One more hero I'll never get to talk to.

RIP Rick, and thanks. Sincere condolences to the family and close friends who are the ones who truly know best what has been lost.

Robert
Us ... not Them
scottfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by scottfloyd »

The Great Richard Wright! Gone! it's a Great loss. The deepest sympathy, and utmost Respect! to his Family, Friends, and The Floyd, in this most difficult time. Richard performing on The "On An Island tour" and "Remember that Night DVD "He was Absolutly Fantastic! Matching everyone! performing, that night Note, for Note. Exspecialy on "Echoes" He was Smileing away, enjoying himself "Perfecting His Art" "Remember That Night" And "Live in Gdansk" Stand as a Truly Great Reminder of how Great! and Professonal, a performer he was! and how Much he will be missed. I hope Rick's with Syd now, and they will continue to be a big part of peoples life's for Many,Many,Many,Many years to come. Forever touching, the hearts and minds of all who listen to theyre music.
Shine On...
Forgotten Sons
Axe
Axe

Post by Forgotten Sons »

"Que mierda!!! "

I'm sorry but I just had to shout it in my own native language.... All my blessings to the family and friends, and I'm so sorry for all of us who where always expecting something from anyone of the 4....

Let's just hope he had a quiet death, and praise that he had a great life!!!

Long live Richard W., a great musician !!!!
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

Just a total shock. Richard was one of the greats in my eyes, up there with Ray Manzarek and Keith Emerson as someone who shaped modern music. Considering how difficult some of the early keyboards were to play, it took an amazing amount of talent and creativity to get feeling out of them.

As I've got two hours of radio time tonight and a fairly decent collection of Pink Floyd, I'll be playing a tribute show. It runs from 7-9PM Eastern Time (US) and you can hear it free online by visiting http://wmfo.org.
hookeve
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hookeve »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My condolences and respect for his family and the world floydian community.

I never knew about his cancer.

:smt059 R.I.P. :smt059
ShineOnMick
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ShineOnMick »

I never saw you playing live... wish I had... but, all the times I heard your piano and your voice... a great smile came to my life... I will miss you Richard... rest in peace... and keep THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY!

Miguel