Did Rick record on ALL of Pink Floyd's albums?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Re: Did Rick record on ALL of Pink Floyd's albums?

Post by apocalypse »

David Smith wrote:I beleive old Rick's drug use got in the way of recording The Wall so Waters threatened to leave the band and take the album's demos with him, unless the others agreed to him being fired right? Supposedly he was after Nick next
I think the story was that Roger went to Dave and said he wanted rid of Rick and when Dave finally agreed to the idea he said he thought Nick should be next but Roger said no cause he was a long time friend of Nick's.
I read that in an interview with Roger somewhere but I can't remember where. Even so I dont know if it could be trusted since there are quite a lot of inconsistencies from all involved about what really went on.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Beowulf wrote:Disposable, and yet the APFS have bought some and use them repeatedly in their shows!
Some of them might have survived, I don't know, but Roger clearly said they used most of them only once, and they burnt a lot of them during the tour. That didn't surprise me because I know, Roger used a new inflatable pig for almost every other show on his last tour, per instance.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Hudini wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Disposable, and yet the APFS have bought some and use them repeatedly in their shows!
Some of them might have survived, I don't know, but Roger clearly said they used most of them only once, and they burnt a lot of them during the tour. That didn't surprise me because I know, Roger used a new inflatable pig for almost every other show on his last tour, per instance.
The pig that flew around the MEN Arena in Manchester hardly looked new. I would be surprised if it hadn't been used elsewhere
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The pig in Budapest also looked pretty old, but that's not the point. The writings on the pig were different from night to night, and I doubt Roger hired someone to wash it after the show...
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

danielcaux wrote:I have read somewhere that Roger knew from the start that they were going to lose money, but he nonetheless chose to go on with his live-concept thing as it ment a lot to him. I wonder if that was the same driving force behind the DSoT tour :lol:
Rog said in a BBC radio one interview in the november before the first shows that it cost so much to stage that the show would loose money.

Rick was paid £11000 a night for his services during the wall tour
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

drafsack wrote:[

Rog said in a BBC radio one interview in the november before the first shows that it cost so much to stage that the show would loose money.

Rick was paid £11000 a night for his services during the wall tour

So the show was a gift to the fans. Most of whom seem to be under the impression that Waters is a jerk. Just because he was cruel to a couple of grown men in his band. He let Rick back to make some money. Rick is standing up there on the stage with him smiling. We've all seen the pictures from the Wall show. A band is like a family. Some are dysfunctional. Rick was responsible for himself. Waters will be gone one day, too.
Keith, did you really not know that Rick didn't play on the final cut??
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Again,
moom wrote:
fatoldbob wrote: They only played about 15 shows
was it not 35 shows?
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Yes, it was reported that he did have several tracks on AMlOR, several were cut in the end but some did remain. I can't remember the details.
GiovanniUS
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GiovanniUS »

No Rick left right after The Wall and dod not record the Final Cut. he returned when David Gilmour reformed the band with A Momentary Lapse of Reason
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

GiovanniUS wrote:No Rick left right after The Wall and dod not record the Final Cut. he returned when David Gilmour reformed the band with A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Yeah...but in a sort of reversal of The Wall scenario, Rick wasn't brought back as a full member for AMLOR. Instead, he was more-or-less hired on as an extra hand and then restored to his full partnership by the time of TDB.

Reportedly one of the conditions of Rick's "firing" was that he could never rejoin the band. Maybe once Roger quit, that got nullified. But I know that according to Schaffner, Rick wasn't restored right away because AMLOR was already underway with Gilmour and Mason putting up the money for it.

Didn't seem right (and I have to agree) for Rick to be taking a share of profits that he didn't lay out anything to make.
apocalypse wrote:
David Smith wrote:I beleive old Rick's drug use got in the way of recording The Wall so Waters threatened to leave the band and take the album's demos with him, unless the others agreed to him being fired right? Supposedly he was after Nick next
I think the story was that Roger went to Dave and said he wanted rid of Rick and when Dave finally agreed to the idea he said he thought Nick should be next but Roger said no cause he was a long time friend of Nick's.
I read that in an interview with Roger somewhere but I can't remember where. Even so I dont know if it could be trusted since there are quite a lot of inconsistencies from all involved about what really went on.
You know...I've thought a lot about that comment over the years, and I've wondered if Gilmour's suggestion that Nick be fired next wasn't a sort of sarcastic thing.

Kind of like this:

Roger--I want Rick gone.

Dave--Right...why don't we fire Nick, too? (rolls eyes)

Of course, there is always the possibility that Dave saw the value of continuing to work with Waters even if it DID mean getting rid of everyone else.

*shrug*

Who knows what really went on? I'm not even sure the participants know the answer to that. :lol: :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mosespa wrote:Rick wasn't brought back as a full member for AMLOR. Instead, he was more-or-less hired on as an extra hand
That's right. You can see that in the "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" booklet Dave's and Nick's names are printed in a bigger font while Rick's is printed in a smaller font below, alongside an army of extra musicians.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Isn´t Rick listed as "full" member of PF again in Delicate Sound of Thunder? or din´t that happen until DB?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Yucateco wrote:Isn´t Rick listed as "full" member of PF again in Delicate Sound of Thunder? or din´t that happen until DB?
Until TDB.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yucateco wrote:Isn´t Rick listed as "full" member of PF again in Delicate Sound of Thunder? or din´t that happen until DB?
The latest editions of AMLOR are rather "revisionist" in that Rick's name is (I believe) now as big as Gilmour and Mason's...AND...Rick has also been CGI'd into the "band photo" that once showed only Gilmour and Mason.

You can kinda tell that Gilmour and Mason were photographed in the mid-late eighties while Rick looks more like his 1994-model self. :lol: :lol:
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

He played on all the albums except Final Cut. Although he DID play on The Wall, his name does not appear on the album as a member of Pink Floyd. It was said that Roger had fired him because " he did not contribute enough" to the making of the album. He was paid a straight salary for his work on the album.