Pink Floyd on Tour by Nick Mason Book Oct 08

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd on Tour by Nick Mason Book Oct 08

Post by my breakfast. »

Yucateco wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Snifferdog was talking about their get together in 1996, not 2008. Besides Guy Pratt isn't really a Pink Floyd member.
it was an answer to omnicron who said they (Gimli and Nick) NEVER appear together
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. 8)

As for Guy Pratt, I don't think he would have been able to slot into Pink Floyd in the 1970s, and was lucky to get the gig because that slightly OTT bass playing he has was in vogue in the 80s and early 90s.

Also watch Pulse and see him hog the limelight, whereas Pink Floyd was meant to be about the external visuals etc...
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:As for Guy Pratt, I don't think he would have been able to slot into Pink Floyd in the 1970s, and was lucky to get the gig because that slightly OTT bass playing he has was in vogue in the 80s and early 90s.

Also watch Pulse and see him hog the limelight, whereas Pink Floyd was meant to be about the external visuals etc...
Well, that's one perspective. Maybe if he was regularly playing in the band then he was 'in the band', or was he just a paid session musician? If, then waht about Rick Wright on The wall tour - as a paid session musician (in effect) was he therfore not in the band?

When is a band made up of band members and not 'hired hands'?

(Not pretending I know/have answers to any of this ... just got me thinking)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Rick Wright knew he had no gig after The Wall tour was done... so in effect he was a hired hand, added to keep the continuity alive. Wright played a bit of Hammond organ but not much else by this point.

Afterall, the Sex Pistols recruited Glen Matlock to play bass lines when recording Never Mind the Bollocks after they kicked him out.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Guy was never, legally, in the Floyd.
He is part of their sound for 20 years now, even wrote wearing the inside out with Rick and Dave...but was never in...obviously, will never be. Same goes for Jon Carin. Both were hired help. They've became close to Davey's heart and stuck a bit longer then other "hired help", thats all.
Theres no point discussing who were the Floyd members, is it? I believe you all know that.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Damn!t wrote:Guy was never, legally, in the Floyd.
He is part of their sound for 20 years now, even wrote wearing the inside out with Rick and Dave...but was never in...obviously, will never be. Same goes for Jon Carin. Both were hired help. They've became close to Davey's heart and stuck a bit longer then other "hired help", thats all.
Theres no point discussing who were the Floyd members, is it? I believe you all know that.
Yes, sure we do. I was just inviting dicusssion of where the line might be drawn in our eyes. Relatively easy to discern with Pink Floyd: but how do you begin to even consider it for, say, uriah Heep, Yes or (to take an extreme example) Hawkwind!

(Sorry guys, wandered off topic; how out-of-character of me .... NOT!)
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

snifferdog wrote:Mysteriously, the Dark Side of the Spoon
You just reminded me that Ministry used that title for an album already.