Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

Post by Beowulf »

theshockofthenew wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:I emailed Pink Floyd's manager and he said "People have been in touch but whether it is this film or not I’ve no idea. I’ve had nothing specific and certainly nothing with actor/s linked to it".

So, I think it is likely to be true. This Chris Field seems like he is a respactable musician? I had never heard of him until now. If he is a legitimate musician, I doubt he would write such lies on his website.
Ok, cheers for contacting them! Sounds promising at least.

I just find it incredibly odd that there has been really no mention of this project in the British media. It seems rather odd.
Personally I don't think the Field guy looks or sounds anything like Barrett, but at least he can play guitar though his own music is really, really, really bad.
I have zero expectations of this now - so whatever (if anything) comes out of it then it will likely exceed those expectations! Would be nice to see it done; but I think it would be very missable
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

If I ever watched anything of this kind it would probably only make me angry. They shouldn't try to recreate his life because they could never do it. I don't think anyone could or should. And people that could do it wouldn't.

I'd probably just make fun of it.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

mandy35353535353 wrote:If I ever watched anything of this kind it would probably only make me angry. They shouldn't try to recreate his life because they could never do it. I don't think anyone could or should. And people that could do it wouldn't.

Still, would give us something to get irritated about on the forum, and we all seem to enjoy doing that!
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Post by theshockofthenew »

mandy35353535353 wrote:If I ever watched anything of this kind it would probably only make me angry. They shouldn't try to recreate his life because they could never do it. I don't think anyone could or should. And people that could do it wouldn't.

True, but one could make the same argument about the books written about him. I'll gladly admit that the majority of knowledge I've gained about Barrett has come from the bios. Most of the info contained is probably speculation, but none-the-less, in some way, it's afforded me a better understanding of him and his music. I think if a film is done right, it could do a great job in bringing his story and more importantly his music to a wider audience. I can't see that being a bad thing really.
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Yes, I suppose it could be done.
But at least in books people aren't trying to be him. I don't know know if anyone could ever be as beautiful looking as Syd Barrett. And play his personality on screen.
Sounds pretty impossible.
And like a waste of time. I'd rather read about him.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

mandy35353535353 wrote:Yes, I suppose it could be done.
But at least in books people aren't trying to be him. I don't know know if anyone could ever be as beautiful looking as Syd Barrett. And play his personality on screen.
Sounds pretty impossible.
And like a waste of time. I'd rather read about him.
I'm starting to like you.

What's with the 35353535353? It looks like you passed out on your keyboard while you were typing your name.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yeah, if a film is ever to be made about Syd, I'd like the truth to have come out about him first. As has been pointed out on this thread, there's a lot of speculation but not a lot of concrete fact. Only Syd's family knows what happened to him and unless they are willing to write a book or whatever, all that will ever happen in a film is piecing together fragments and making up stuff. If you go the fictional route, why bother saying it's a bio-pic?
P.U.L.S.E
Embryo
Embryo

Post by P.U.L.S.E »

I'v read an article about Johnny depp that he would love to incarne Syd Barret and since this time i wait to see him become syd in a movie... But it look like it's not gonna happen... He's probably too expensive !

There's some article on the net you should check it

"Reportedly, a biopic was in the works, with interest from Johnny Depp, before the family categorically refused to negotiate rights. " http://www.rhino.com/RZine/StoryKeeper. ... toryID=889

Even a petition http://www.petitiononline.com/PinkF123/
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Have to admit I am not ready for a film...I prefer a documentary.
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Wow that article/petition thing is so ridiculous. But I also prefer a documentary. This guys being considered for the part look like idiots.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

I expect neither is going to happen anytime soon
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

:lol: i made a video clip for Vegetable man i used a potato and pictures of Syd it was really strange of course its gone now as i formatted my pc a while ago
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I think that PublicImage should be Syd.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

and moom should direct :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

P.U.L.S.E wrote:I'v read an article about Johnny depp that he would love to incarne Syd Barret and since this time i wait to see him become syd in a movie... But it look like it's not gonna happen... He's probably too expensive !
And far too old