Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

Post by my breakfast. »

Somebody needs to tell this Chris Field guy what century it is. This guy will cheapen and ultimately destroy Barrett by making him some pathetic Jagger/Bolan flashback with a Dick Van Dyke mockney accent who swaggers around an Austin Powers-type swinging London.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

They could get Christopher Lloyd to play the "Abbey Road" Syd

zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

:smt044
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:
P.U.L.S.E wrote:I'v read an article about Johnny depp that he would love to incarne Syd Barret and since this time i wait to see him become syd in a movie... But it look like it's not gonna happen... He's probably too expensive !
And far too old
Special effects can do AMAZING things these days. :D
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

LMAO!

"Abbey Road Syd"
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

mosespa wrote: Special effects can do AMAZING things these days. :D

Did you like him as Hunter Thompson?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'll give Depp all the credit in the world for the research that he actually did put into the role.

But in the end, Hunter S. Thompson is such a larger-than-life figure that the best an actor can hope to convincingly pull off is the recreation of the "legend" that figure represents.

Sort of like Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison.

A BRILLIANT portrayal of the Morrsion mythos, imo...but was that REALLY what Morrison was like?

Although I think Depp is a more accomplished actor.

Did any of that answer the question? :lol: :lol:
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Sure.

I liked Bill Murray as Hunter but Fear and Loathing was a better movie than Where the Buffalo roam. At least in terms of direction. Let's face it, Art Linson is no Terry Gilliam. Depp grew on me.
Bio-pics are often a let down. I think Val Kilmer did a good job but Oliver Stone kind of made a soap opera out of it.
Writing that just now I realized that the Doors saga WAS kind of a soap opera.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Val Kilmer was brilliant in The Doors considering what a poor script he had to work with. Although i don't particularly like the film i reckon his performance (particularly during the live sections) makes it well worth a viewing and has earned it a place in my DVD collection
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Plus Kilmer actually sang in Kim's voice. Apparently he got the role as he submitted a tape of him singing Doors tracks, telling the producer to work out which one was him and which one was Jim. The catch was the recordings were all of Kilmer. :lol:
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

David Smith wrote:Val Kilmer was brilliant in The Doors considering what a poor script he had to work with. Although i don't particularly like the film i reckon his performance (particularly during the live sections) makes it well worth a viewing and has earned it a place in my DVD collection
I thoroughly agree; good film and great performance ... mostly as a result of kilmer's portrayal
my breakfast. wrote:Plus Kilmer actually sang in Kim's voice. Apparently he got the role as he submitted a tape of him singing Doors tracks, telling the producer to work out which one was him and which one was Jim. The catch was the recordings were all of Kilmer. :lol:
If that is true it's quite impressive. Has Kilmer displayed his alleged singing talents elsewhere?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

If you listen to the commentary on the DVD mr Stone gives a lot of compliments to Jim's vocals. Check out the soundtrack on IMBD to see just how many of the songs he was singing on
AbrahamLover
Embryo
Embryo

Post by AbrahamLover »

This pisses me off.

I have to say something now, because I just have to!!

I was a "research assistant" when this movie went into pre-production and it wasn't going to be directed by the same guy or even the same crew. A NY film company (which I will leave nameless) sold the rights to the film to this new company that casted that Chris Field or whatever his blasted name is.

Chris Field will cheapen this movie, for sure.

A relatively unknown 19 year old kid from Ohio was being eyed by the company I worked for, and they wanted to cast him as Syd in the first time around. When the movie got bought out, obviously the kid lost his opportunity to play Syd Barrett, and the movie went somewhere else completely.

Even the direction of the film was different when I read the script. It was a really good idea. And some big, big name people were being contacted by my company to get involved. One of the people SERIOUSLY interested was Michel Gondry! (a genius).

I am pissed that the movie got bought out. I'm pissed that the original choice (who looks more like Syd and is younger and not a stuck up 60s throwback like Chris Field) wasn't picked, and I'm even more pissed because I lost my job on this movie.

I'm not a regular on this board, I just thought I'd join specifically to say that I had something to do with the old concept but nothing to do with this piece of crap that will be coming out.

To see Nicholas Megalis, and hear his music, (this kid is the original pick for Syd Barrett), visit his website at http://www.nicholasmegalis.com. Playing Syd's girlfriend was some girl named May Pastlee, but I can't find her myspace or website. She was so charming. So is Nicholas.

Arrrgh.

Angry!

much love,
Abe
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Beowulf wrote:Sounds pretty unlikey to me - article or not - all in all I think David is probably a pretty decent guy and whilst we all make mistakes I doubt whether there is much truth or mileage in it all
Well, let's not forget that David Gilmour did steal Senator John Kerry's girlfriend while he was touring in support of MLOL...and he was still married to Ginger at the time :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

AbrahamLover wrote:I was a "research assistant" when this movie went into pre-production and it wasn't going to be directed by the same guy or even the same crew. A NY film company (which I will leave nameless) sold the rights to the film to this new company that casted that Chris Field or whatever his blasted name is.
Perhaps you would like to send me a copy of the script for my perusal? 8)