Syd Barrett's Lyrics Appreciation Thread

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Syd Barrett's Lyrics Appreciation Thread

Post by PublicImage »

What's sarcasm?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

:) good one, and now I'm going to moomify myself:

Sarcasm is proverbially said to be the lowest form of wit.[3] It is often associated with the use of irony. Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironical way such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive but understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding is lacking in people with brain damage, dementia or autism[4] and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.[5] [6]

In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm is indicated with a sarcasm mark, a character that looks like a backwards question mark at the end of a sentence, similar to Alcanter de Brahm's proposed irony mark

see! sarcasm -> brain damage -> Pink Floyd! everything is connected!!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I always read "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" to be a sarcastic statement in itself.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:I always read "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" to be a sarcastic statement in itself.
Yup, it is. Just being humble. It's actually second best, only loses to satire... of which it sometimes is a part.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Another favorite of mine, you can really feel the disappointment with life, dissatisfaction and overall restrained pain going on in there:

The watch, black watch, my watch
with a black face and a date in a little hole
and all the luck, its what I got,
Its what I wear, Its what you see,
It must be me, Its what I am!
Vegetable man! ...where are you?
Ah, ah ah ah, ah ah ah Hah, ah ah ah, ah ah ah - oh!
I've been looking all over the place for a place for me
But it ain't anywhere
It just ain't anywhere.
Last edited by danielcaux on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

moom wrote:
PublicImage wrote:I always read "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" to be a sarcastic statement in itself.
Yup, it is. Just being humble. It's actually second best, only loses to satire... of which it sometimes is a part.
What does this mean? Seriously? Satire is the lowest form of wit? Do you even have satire in Estonia?
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

I really love you and I mean you!
Lime and limpid green (i had to look up in dictionary the meaning of limpid. never had to do that with anyone else)
His head did no thinking.
There's a kind of stink about blue velvet trousers.
Pussy willow that smiled on this leaf.
Please hold on to the steel rail.
In the sad town cold iron hands clapped the party of clowns outside.
A bare winding carcass stark, shimmers as flies scoop up meat.
That cat's something I cant explain.
She's often inclined to borrow somebody's dreams til tomorrow.
Wined and dined, oh it seems just like a dream.
Inside me I feel alone and unreal
He isn't loved on Sunday's mail.
The dolls house darkness old perfume.... (old perfume is the colorful lyric here I think)
Honey love you honey little honey funny sunny morning, love you more funny love in the skyline baby. Ice cream scuse me I seen you lookin good the other evening (If someone can show me a happier lyric than this I would love to see it)
Grooving around in a trenchcoat with the satin entrail. (really now, how may folks have used entrail in a song lyric?)
Isnt it good to be lost in the wood, isnt it bad so quiet there.
You feel me away far too empty oh so alone, I want to go home. .....
Well I sing about dreams and I rhyme it with seams cause it seems that my dreams always mean....(i love how he rhymes)
Please lift a hand, I'm only a person
He ate the elephant.
She and I are in love..... we've agreed. (this is one of my favorites)

My wife and I are having our second child in 2 weeks. It is a boy and his middle name will be Barrett in honor of this wonderful songwriter/singer that has entertained and intrigued me for a long long time. There are lessons to be learned in his songs. Many of them are very happy songs. I like that.
Rest easy Piper.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Waters & Barrett were two completely different writers & your favorite is going to be the one you can most relate to. For me, it's Syd. He didn't write about this world, he wrote about a world he might possibly have seen or one where he would've like to have gone to & maybe even lived in & if he did, we all know that he never came back. WE can come back from there to here & sometimes Water's world is too much; you see it every night on the news. I always preffered riding bikes, drinking wine & wanting Mom to read fairy tales. And after some bad days at work, I STILL do! (LOL!!!) To each his own, but they are both brilliant in their own way.