David Gilmour - About Face

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
2%
24%
32%
29%
1- Worst
14%

Total votes: 59

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour - About Face

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've never really engaged properly with this album. To me it sounds a bit like David didn't really have a strong musical direction for the album and he was trying different things.

Given that there is discussion here, I've given it my first listen for quite some time.

For me, the songs I like the most are the most Floydian songs. 'Murder', and 'Out of the Blue', 'Near the End'. Plus 'Let's Get Metaphysical'. Some of the other songs sound very competently done, e.g. 'You Know I'm Right' sounds a bit like Steely Dan to me, but there's something missing from it somehow. I like Steely Dan, but if this were a SD song it would not be a standout in their oeuvre. 'Cruise' is similarly competently done, but I find it a bit uninteresting. It might be me imagining it. 'Blue Light' was a single, but for me is one of the weaker songs on the album.

If the previous four songs had been released as an EP, then they would be great. But, I feel that the low points (for me) on this album make it a bit less than the sum of its parts.

Despite recent comments, DG writes nearly all the lyrics on this album. So, he has the occasional idea then. They aren't fantastic lyrics, but they aren't bad.

It's still my least favourite DG solo album, but I should listen to it more. And, I must make a four song EP playlist.

Hmm.... I feel that OaI is also a bit inconsistent. I'm now curious to make an album out of the above four songs and some from OaI.

The highpoints from AF may be better than the highpoints from the self-titled debut solo album, but somehow that album gels as an album better than AF for me.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am The highpoints from AF may be better than the highpoints from the self-titled debut solo album, but somehow that album gels as an album better than AF for me.
I think it's the consistency. David Gilmour is a more consistently good album, whereas About Face has really high points and really low points. "Blue Light", for my money, is a really stupid song. To be honest so is "Love on the Air", but I must admit to finding a charm in that song.
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am Hmm.... I feel that OaI is also a bit inconsistent. I'm now curious to make an album out of the above four songs and some from OaI.
I honestly believe that On an Island would be perfect if not for "Take a Breath". It is so outside the atmosphere of the rest of the album as to be intrusive.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Returning to AF, partially, I think that DG finally worked out how to do a straightforward pop song for 'Rattle that Lock' (the song). To my ears, this song is in the pop ballpark of 'Blue Light', but RtL works for me while BL doesn't. And perhaps 'Today' from RtL (album) is similarly a perhaps more successful attempt of what he tried on some of AF.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:05 am Returning to AF, partially, I think that DG finally worked out how to do a straightforward pop song for 'Rattle that Lock' (the song). To my ears, this song is in the pop ballpark of 'Blue Light', but RtL works for me while BL doesn't.
For me it's the hook of the song. The French Rail sample used as a hook is immediately catchy, whereas such a hook is absent on "Blue Light".
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:04 am
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:05 am Returning to AF, partially, I think that DG finally worked out how to do a straightforward pop song for 'Rattle that Lock' (the song). To my ears, this song is in the pop ballpark of 'Blue Light', but RtL works for me while BL doesn't.
For me it's the hook of the song. The French Rail sample used as a hook is immediately catchy, whereas such a hook is absent on "Blue Light".
The sample is probably the only reason I can really enjoy 'Rattle That Lock'. Without that hook, it would be just a bland pop song with decent lyrics and an awesome guitar solo. 'Blue Light' is one of the only songs on About Face (along with 'Cruise') that I still think are average and nothing special. Although, the Pete Townshend penned songs are AWESOME.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Personally I think that the vocal hook of the song RtL is sufficiently catchy by itself. The French Rail sample does add to the song, but I think it would be a good song and much better than 'Blue Light' without it.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:00 pm Personally I think that the vocal hook of the song RtL is sufficiently catchy by itself. The French Rail sample does add to the song, but I think it would be a good song and much better than 'Blue Light' without it.
I agree with you there. But the French Rail sample does make for an immediately catchy entrance to the song.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:49 pm I agree with you there. But the French Rail sample does make for an immediately catchy entrance to the song.
It does indeed.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:28 pm
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:24 am After another listen, I've changed my views on About Face: It's actually decent album. Rattle That Lock and On An Island were better, but it's better than his debut solo album. I quite enjoyed this recent listen to it.
I honestly believe his self titled and About Face stand on pretty even terms. The production on the self titled is a little less 80s, but the flow of About Face works better for me and it's a bit more of a rocker.
Working from home and I'm doing a big Floyd binge.

I'll put the Debut and About Face on the platter after The Wall to test your ideas!
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Fairly easy listening trad rock, with a great band and solid arrangements. But the only reason I would listen to this is because of Gilmour. Mid-rating from me.