Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
55%
26%
11%
6%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 106

Gregor
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by Gregor »

In my opinion, the first album of Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn in its form and content in an amazingly twin way refers to the initial stage of Zeppelin's work, while the cover of their debut work in an artistic and visionary way encrypts this issue. It doesn't take much effort to tell. Comparing the cover of the currently discussed album with the cover of the third album of Led Zeppelin, you can see some similarities, and all skepticism will quickly “fade away” as you read the lyrics of individual songs of both these bands.

The same applies to the illustration on the back of the Floyd album. Well, this strange character can symbolize what content you can expect - bearing in mind all the time that this is not just a "random" artistic vision of a "random" artist. The fact that this is not just an "ordinary", one of many, quickly forgotten illustration, is guided by the opinion expressed below - the last sentence of the quote.
"It's hard to believe that almost half a century has passed since the release of this album. The band, whose then spiritus movens was soon to venture too deeply into the world of drugs, with this work pushed rock into new areas of psychedelia. Experimental, sometimes trance-like music is accompanied by a photo intended to depict hallucinogenic visions.

The standard of the time was posting on the cover of the band's photos. That Pink Floyd did not yet have a clarified artistic vision, this was taken for granted (group photos on the covers from the 70s did not appear anymore). EMI chose the first photographer from the edge and then left his free hand, without paying special attention to the packaging of the record.

Vic Singh did not have too much budget, and wanted to capture the dreamy nature of music in the picture. Instead of spending money on post-production, he used a lens-prism mounted on a friend donated by a friend, Georg Harrison (both have not yet seen any use for her). The photographer recommended musicians to put on the brightest clothes possible and invite them to the studio. They came, they made a couple of joints with him and presented them. Barrett liked the project very much, he even took test photos through the lens and after the session he painted the graphics on the back cover.

For those to whom the psychiatrist notes in red the answer to the task "say what you see in the picture": above is not a mutant from radioactive swamps, but a mere outline of a group of dancing people.
http://okladki.net/okladki/show/134-pin ... es-of-dawn

Just like the front side of the cover is to symbolize the broadly branched and "chaotic" evolution - which is one of the main principles of this process of change over time, so the reverse is an ideogram that personifies these changes in the literal sense of the word. It is contained in one symbol of the entire process that the human being underwent - all the previous developmental stages of the human being are superimposed on them, from which, as a result of evolutionary changes, modern man has "crystallized". And this is the whole "secret" of this cover, which is confirmed by all the songs on it.
Last edited by Gregor on Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregor
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gregor »

Gregor
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gregor »

Mr_Evil_Breakfast
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mr_Evil_Breakfast »

I do a 'trawl' of my town's charity shops about every 3 weeks or so; and have, in the past, picked up some right bargains.
Including Piper (on CD) for a quid.
<ii>
Last edited by Mr_Evil_Breakfast on Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

5/5 for me.

I don't listen to it regularly anymore, but when I do put it on, there's not a moment that I don't like.
There's only a few other albums in the PF catalogue that I can say that about...
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I do love this album, and I do enjoy Barrett. But it does lack some of the edge Floyd had at the time, because the producers wanted a more poppy album. So I don't think it's the masterpiece it could have been. But some very great stuff on it, so a 4 for me.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Morty wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:45 pmI do love this album, and I do enjoy Barrett. But it does lack some of the edge Floyd had at the time, because the producers wanted a more poppy album.
I love how 'The Piper' is produced. If it would have been less "poppy", it might have been an ignorable weird album.
The most Pink Floyd fans find the pre-Gilmour album already weird and ignorable enough.
Didn't Norman Smith do a great job?

Also, there's a huge difference between the mono and stereo mix.
The mono mix having more of an "edge".

For the hardcore Barrett Floyd fans, two completed alternate versions of 'Interstellar Overdrive' are available.
The 'Tonite Let's All Make Love in London' version of January 1967. With 'Nick's Boogie'.
And a limited vinyl-only October 1966 version. (Record Store Day 2017)

'The Piper' is perfect! In mono and in stereo!
Flaws? For example, it doesn't contain 'Jugband Blues'!
There should be a deluxe version containing the whole Barrett Floyd period!
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Wolfpack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:41 pmI love how 'The Piper' is produced. If it would have been less "poppy", it might have been an ignorable weird album. The most Pink Floyd fans find the pre-Gilmour album already weird and ignorable enough. Didn't Norman Smith do a great job?
I really enjoy the more raw stuff, it has some great edge to it. But it`s a nice album.