Who Was Pink Floyd's Chief Songwriter?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Who Was Pink Floyd's Chief Songwriter?

Post by ddebil »

bong2 wrote:I have to say that I agree with rpity 100%
That this is definitely a good resource for people who are new to floyd and want to be able to tell at a glance, who wrote what.
If I may be so bold as to post another resource which was found buried somewhere in my email box, it also gives vocal credits for the various songs up to the final cut, because we know that AMLOR and TDB don't really count. But that is not up for debate. This however clearly shows that although Dave's melodic harmonies are much more recognizable and easily picked out than Roger's gargling with broken glass, it is clearly Roger once again who has sang vocals on more songs than Dave.

The Early Singles & + Relics + Works
1 to 5- Syd Barrett
6-Wi
7-Gi-Wa*
8-Wi
9-Gi
10...etc..etc...

Had you a bong2? :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

bong2 wrote:I have to say that I agree with rpity 100%
That this is definitely a good resource for people who are new to floyd and want to be able to tell at a glance, who wrote what.
If I may be so bold as to post another resource which was found buried somewhere in my email box, it also gives vocal credits for the various songs up to the final cut, because we know that AMLOR and TDB don't really count. But that is not up for debate. This however clearly shows that although Dave's melodic harmonies are much more recognizable and easily picked out than Roger's gargling with broken glass, it is clearly Roger once again who has sang vocals on more songs than Dave.
Another classik post from Bong in the cannon of Pink Floyd webboard history :lol:

Been banned anywhere lately, buddy? Do share...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Damn!t wrote:So basically, Roger Waters is Pink Floyd and the others have just been playing some guitar/keyboards/drums parts that he orchestrated and made some coffee for the fuhrer?
I doubt anybody on here thinks that. Do you?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Let me say this again:

Q: Which One's Pink?

A: Roger Waters.

Q: Which One's Floyd?

A: Wright, Gilmour and Mason.
So basically, Roger Waters is Pink Floyd and the others have just been playing some guitar/keyboards/drums parts
That seems to be about it, to me.

Obviously, Roger didn't "orchestrate" or "dictate" their parts to them (unless you count Wright not being able to please Roger with anything he wrote as a passive attempt at doing so,) but Roger WAS writing the majority of the songs to which they added their guitar, keyboard and drum parts, now wasn't he? :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes, he didn't call them "the muffins" for nothing, did he? [-D-]
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

This however clearly shows that although Dave's melodic harmonies are much more recognizable and easily picked out than Roger's gargling with broken glass, it is clearly Roger once again who has sang vocals on more songs than Dave
Well, there nothing more deceiving than a half-truth. Yes, Roger Waters sang more songs overall than any of the other three, BUT that doesn't mean he was the band's lead singer ALL those years. By number of songs sung it has been proven that David Gilmour WAS the lead singer of Pink Floyd from 1968 until the release of The Wall. Roger Waters just took the lead for the last two albums.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

mosespa wrote:Let me say this again:

Q: Which One's Pink?

A: Roger Waters.

Q: Which One's Floyd?

A: Wright, Gilmour and Mason.
Which would make Syd "The". :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Or "Sound," perhaps. :lol:
henno

Post by henno »

how did this thread go further than two posts?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Q......"who is pink floyds main songwriter?"

A....."Roger Waters"
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

danielcaux wrote:
This however clearly shows that although Dave's melodic harmonies are much more recognizable and easily picked out than Roger's gargling with broken glass, it is clearly Roger once again who has sang vocals on more songs than Dave
Well, there nothing more deceiving than a half-truth. Yes, Roger Waters sang more songs overall than any of the other three, BUT that doesn't mean he was the band's lead singer ALL those years. By number of songs sung it has been proven that David Gilmour WAS the lead singer of Pink Floyd from 1968 until the release of The Wall. Roger Waters just took the lead for the last two albums.
Roger also had more vocals on Wish You Were Here and Animals than David, so I guess you could argue David Gilmour was the lead singer from SoS through DSotM with Roger Waters being the lead singer after DSotM. It only makes sense that Roger would see to it that he has the most vocals after DSotM beings as he is the one who wrote all of the lyrics.

If you look at the catalog as a whole, Roger sung the most songs by far, but one could argue nobody was really THE lead voice or THE lead singer. Much like that role was shared by Lennon and McCartney when it comes to the Beatles, it was a role shared by Waters and Gilmour when it comes to Floyd.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Sorry, Bong, but some entries on your list are inaccurate. For example, Let There Be More Light was written by Waters, not Gilmour.

And what's that IN you used in the list (like "Ummagumma (studio side only) 1-In") ?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Does it really matter who wrote the most or who sang the most? It sounds like a game of "Mine's bigger than yours" to me
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:If you look at the catalog as a whole, Roger sung the most songs by far, but one could argue nobody was really THE lead voice or THE lead singer. Much like that role was shared by Lennon and McCartney when it comes to the Beatles, it was a role shared by Waters and Gilmour when it comes to Floyd.
Indeed.

I don't know about anyone else, but MY copy of Pompeii has Roger singing on STCFTHOTS and CWTAE; evidently Gilmour wasn't THE (as in sole,) lead singer at this point in the band's history.

Also...my copy of the KQED performance has Waters singing lead on those same two songs, PLUS splitting lead vocal duties with Gilmour on Grantchester Meadows...so, obviously here as well, Gilmour wasn't THE (as in sole,) lead singer.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

snifferdog wrote:Does it really matter who wrote the most or who sang the most? It sounds like a game of "Mine's bigger than yours" to me
Now that it is unarguable that the band Pink Floyd is definitively done (i.e., the band is history), it's especially important to have concise, accurate descriptions of who did what and when. It's partly up to us fans to get the historical records straight.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:It's partly up to us fans to get the historical records straight.

We're fucked.

Join us next week for "who had the biggest balls in pink floyd, 1966- 1972?"

I vote for seamus! He never got a writers credit but he definitely improvised the lead vocals on one song from the Meddle LP.