Best and worst of 2009 and the decade

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Best and worst of 2009 and the decade

Post by ddebil »

davidjay wrote: for the decade, my "worst" was having a guy slip ghb into my drink at a bar and blacking out only to awake sometime later in the evening behind the wheel of my car with a cop shining his flashlight at me through the driver's window. it's a long and sorted tale that i won't recount in full now (though i suppose i would at length later if anyone's interested) but suffice it to say that it all involves a car crash followed by a long court battle, blood samples and a number of polygraph exams.
Blimey! <.8.> Would love to read the whole tale, if you don't mind posting it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

ddebil wrote:
davidjay wrote: for the decade, my "worst" was having a guy slip ghb into my drink at a bar and blacking out only to awake sometime later in the evening behind the wheel of my car with a cop shining his flashlight at me through the driver's window. it's a long and sorted tale that i won't recount in full now (though i suppose i would at length later if anyone's interested) but suffice it to say that it all involves a car crash followed by a long court battle, blood samples and a number of polygraph exams.
Blimey! <.8.> Would love to read the whole tale, if you don't mind posting it.
+10
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

well, okay. here's my sorted little tale:

back in january 2001, i had just finished my first week of a great new job. i decided to go downtown and celebrate my new employment on friday night. i parked my car in a lot where it was okay for me to leave it overnight. i had gotten a DUI a number of years before and had learned the hard way not to drink and drive.

an old girlfriend of mine by the name of denise worked at a restaurant in the downtown club district. even though we were no longer seeing each other, we had remained friends. i figured she'd be able to give me a ride later. (and, who knows? maybe she might want to take me home with her. whatever! LOL)

i stopped by to ask her about it and she said that she was getting off work in a couple of hours and she's be happy to give me a ride. i had my first drink there and then told her that i'd be back before her shift was over.

i went across the street to a bar and bellied up for another cocktail. within a few minutes, a guy walked up to me and said something like, "gee, you're looking good. mind if i sit down?" i probably said something like, "yeah, sure. whatever."

this guy proceeded to tell me that he wanted me to take him home with me so we could have sex and he'd make me breakfast in the morning. i told him that he was barking up the wrong tree. i don't roll that way. i said, "sorry man, i'm not gay. sit down. i'll buy you a drink and i'm sure we can find you a guy to go home with." i have no problem with gay people, so i was okay with sitting next to him for a while. i turned my back on him to get the attention of the bartender to get him a drink. i'm sure that was the moment he slipped me the mickey.

we got his drink and talked for awhile. he just wasn't getting it. he kept trying to kiss me and put his hands on me and he wasn't taking no for an answer. after about 10 minutes of this, i'd had enough. i told him that he wasn't getting lucky with me that night and i was out of there! he looked very alarmed and said, "be really careful driving!" i told him that i already had a ride so he shouldn't worry about it.

i left that bar and went to a little irish pub a couple of doors down. that last thing i remember, i was ordering a nice single malt scotch. the next thing i remeber, i'm in my car, pulled over on the side of the road and there's a cop shining his light into my car saying, "hey, it looks like you've had a little accident and your forehead is bleeding." i sort of faded in and out for a while. they called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. i don't remeber it, but i got a bill from the ambulance company, so i know it happened!

i have a vague memory of being in the emergency room, but it's pretty sketchy. i don't remember the ride to jail, but after a few hours i realized where i was. the rest of the story i know only because it was in the police report.

apparently i told the cops that i had been to a couple of bars that i don't remember being in. i was blacked out when i gave my statement. it's interesting that i didn't tell them about the drinks that i had before my state was altered. only the ones after. perhaps i didn't remember them. i had no intention of driving that night, but i was so out of it, i did.

i got hungry and went through the drive through at burger king to get food. when i got to the window, i told the server that i couldn't find my wallet. he could tell that i was wasted, so he told me to park my car and come inside for my food when i found my money. i told him to fuck off and slammed my foot on the accelerator. i crashed into the back of a parked car and almost pushed it into a ravine that ran alongside the parking lot. then i sped off down the street.

the manager called the police to report what had happened. about the same time the call went out over the police radios, a cop saw me driving down the street with the front of my car smashed up with my headlights off. he put 2 and 2 together and pulled me over. my joy ride was over! like i said, i have no memory of any of this.

while i admit that i had been drinking, it wasn't nearly enough to cause a black out. the next day as i was thinking back on what i could remember and realized that i must have been drugged. i live in santa barbara and there had been a series of women who had been drugged with GHB in clubs downtown and raped. being a straight male, i never thought it would happen to me, but when i thought about it, i realized that it might have.

one of the guys that had done that in santa barbara was andrew luster. you may have heard of his case. i know that it was big news in england and america. he's an heir to the max factor fortune and ironically lived about a mile from me. he was arrested and found guilty of raping several women in the area. he fled to mexico before he was sentenced. you might remember that "dog the bounty hunter" was the one who went down there and brought him back to america to face justice. dog was arrested by the mexican authorities because bounty hunting is illegal there.

i'm kind of going off on a tangent here, but it's relevent. because there was so much interest in this case in england, bbc radio's live 5 program came to town to put together a show on the whole thing after it was over. they rather serendipitously learned about what had happened to me and interviewed me for the program. so, in a strange way, it was kind of neat for me as an american radio broadcaster to be able to say that i'd been "on the beeb". too bad it wasn't under better circumstances.

okay, now back to the story. i got a lawyer and told him my story and my suspicions about being drugged. because i had been taken to the hospital, there was a sample of my blood from that night that was taken to test my blood alcohol content. i gave my lawyer a statement of what i thought had happened to me as well as a sworn affidavit from denise stating that i had not planned to drive and had asked her for a ride before i started drinking. my lawyer went to court to have the blood tested for drugs and sure it enough, it came back positive for GHB.

with denise's statement and the GHB in my blood coupled with the history of girls who had been drugged and raped in town, i figured the case was over. no such luck. the district attorney said he had no way of knowing if i took the GHB volunarily. since i had a prior DUI conviction, he didn't trust my story. he told my lawyer that if i passed a polygraph test, he might consider dropping the charges. i hired a very reputable examiner (at the time, he was the vice president of the california association of polygraph examiners) and passed with flying colors.

still it wasn't good enough for the DA. he sent me to the police department's polygraph examiner for another series of lie detector tests. i easily passed those as well. finally, after 8 long months of going to court, he dropped the charges. it was absolutely the most grueling experience that i've ever been through.

that's how i started the new millenium. thankfully it's been all uphill since then. they never caught the guy who drugged me. he's out there somewhere and someday i hope to run into him again. he wanted me to stick something down his throat that night. next time, i'll oblige. it'll be my fist!

whew! now i'm spent. i think it's time for bed!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

What an absolute nightmare! :shock: Well done for refusing to give in to it and fighting 'til the end. [-D-]
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

:shock: I think the most shocking part of that story is you went into an Irish bar and ordered a scotch !! :wink:

Seriously though ... what a horrible thing to happen to you - well done for fighting the case.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

wiped wrote::shock: I think the most shocking part of that story is you went into an Irish bar and ordered a scotch !! :wink:
:lol: i do enjoy irish whiskey, but i find that the 3rd distillation removes a lot of the character that i enjoy in scotch. plus, there's that whole thing about the extra "e". my whisky has no "e"! :D
henno

Post by henno »

davidjay wrote:
wiped wrote::shock: I think the most shocking part of that story is you went into an Irish bar and ordered a scotch !! :wink:
:lol: i do enjoy irish whiskey, but i find that the 3rd distillation removes a lot of the character that i enjoy in scotch. plus, there's that whole thing about the extra "e". my whisky has no "e"! :D
maybe no E..... but it does have a G, H and a B..... :D

(sorry David, couldn't resist )
boo
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by boo »

<.8.> how awful...........
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

WOW! davidjay!!!

Yikes.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

oh henno, you so craayzee! you gotta find a way to laugh at shit like that. otherwise, life is too depressing to go on!
woodstock21
Embryo
Embryo

Post by woodstock21 »

I would say one of the last things to come out of last year was all those cash for gold companies. I hate all those "we buy gold" adverts on the tv and what's more they seem like a complete con. The best thing for me last year was getting a new job and moving into a new flat with my girlfriend. I hope 2010 can match it!
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

^ get her some Gold .... :lol: