When did you last listen to a Syd Barrett solo album?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: When did you last listen to a Syd Barrett solo album?

Post by Damn!t »

tristah wrote:If you don't like Syd's solo albums you can get out!
Get out where?
So, if you dont like something you should keep your mouth shut and speak only if you adore that?

Minus one for your first post, boyo...
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

a couple of weeks ago I listened to Barrett,
a couple weeks before that Madcap
I keep the double lp reissue of the two records close to my turntable

if that doesnt seem so recent, its much more recent than I listened to any other Floyd album, including bootlegs
the overfamiliarity meant I havent listened to the studio Floyd albums for years, and even the live/rare material is so repetitive I rarely feel the need to listen yet again
but Im still finding my way though those two Syd solo albums so they get replayed

Ive been looking for Opel on vinyl, suddenly thats hard to find now
a couple years ago when I wanted the 1st two on vinyl I kept running into Opel instead and kept turning it down like it was MLoR, now thats the one I need its disappeared!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

zag wrote:ermm, back to the topic...

I listen Syd´s solo albums more than any official Pink Floyd stuff, except Piper !
Me too, although my most-played Pink Floyd album is London 66-67, with Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie. I don't know if that counts as an official release or not, but it's my favourite recording from the 1960s by any band.

I don't get the resistance to Syd's solo albums in this thread, but oh well. I suppose that crowd doesn't get my resistance to most of the post-Barrett Floyd albums!
tristah
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tristah »

Damn!t wrote:
tristah wrote:If you don't like Syd's solo albums you can get out!
Get out where?
So, if you dont like something you should keep your mouth shut and speak only if you adore that?

Minus one for your first post, boyo...
Its a thread called "When did you last listen to a Syd Barrett solo album" not "What do you think about Syd Barrett's solo albums?" The point of the thread therefore would be to talk about the last time you listened to a Syd Barrett solo album. If during that last time listening one didn't enjoy it then they could simply say something like; "I listened to the Madcap laughs for the first time, I didn't like how etc." The point isn't to say "I have trouble getting through it in general."

Minus one for your seven thousandth eight hundred ninetieth post 'boyo' or girlo.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Sometime this year I played The Madcap Laughs but found myself skipping a few songs and not bothering with the "bonus" tracks.
I was shocked when I first heard them, by his voice more than the music? Lyrically, I think he improved after PATGOD, it's just the trouble he had expressing himself in the studio and the second guesses the producers and Soft Machine had to make.
Barrett gets played more or less in full when I feel the need to listen to him.
And I need another copy of Opel after giving mine to a woman I fell out with years ago!
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Oh man gotta have my Barrett fix weekly. Either you get it or you don't.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't listened to any Barrett for some time now. Time to whip open the box set! 8)
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Barretts music is very soothing. Enjoy your Syd, Jordan!! :D
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

PublicImage wrote:Me too, although my most-played Pink Floyd album is London 66-67, with Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie. I don't know if that counts as an official release or not, but it's my favourite recording from the 1960s by any band.
Well, it's *certainly* my favorite recording of The Pink Floyd, although a couple of their BBC Radio appearances are quite close. You listen to those London 66-67 tracks and think "Aha! *This* is what all the fuss was about at The UFO Club and The Roundhouse! *This* was the band that grabbed the attention of Underground London!" I remember when those tracks first surfaced in the late '80s, I got 'em on a pink vinyl 10 inch short player on the Sigma 6 label.

I listened to Vols. 3 & 4 of "Have You Got It Yet" Version I in my car last week... does that count for listening to a Syd Barrett Solo Album?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

We will never know what Pink Floyd really sounded like at the UFO or the Roundhouse. That Tonight All Makes Love session is a bit stilted and awkward at times. They don't really let go. Piper is an overproduced mess of a potentially good idea.

I burned Baby Lemonade and Dominoes onto a mix CD months back and I still play that CD quite often. It has a lot of things on it I also like.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Man the Syd Barrett forums feel like the twilight dimension of Neptune Pink Floyd, there's a lot of people here I have never "met" before.

Anyway, listened to Madcap and Barrett today, I enjoyed more the songs of the former and the production of the latter overall (It Is Obvious sounds like it could have been extracted from, or included in, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, guess is the Wright effect). Madcap sequencing is a total mess though, and it seems that the producers went for the "crazy mood" and opted to include some of the more stark and disadjusted takes; just compare some of the songs (Octopus and Dark Globe especially) with the ones that appear on Opel, which sound a lot more "professional" and controled.

I particualry enjoyed this little sequence that I programmed in my CD player:

Terrapin
Here I Go
Feel
Golden Hair

Yeah I know it's a lame list with only 4 tracks, but those songs flow REALLY well in that order. Right now I'm trying to find the "right" order for the whole album. :D
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Let's face it folks, Syd is 2 different cups of tea. 1966-67 was basically his "Golden Boy" period. The solo recordings are all together different; his mind (or what was left of it) was definitely in a different place. Even the way he looked: The perm was gone, the clothes weren't as flamboyant as they were 2-3 years b4. He was starting to hide even then. The solo stuff was more internal I think. I think even then he was trying to sort himself out & unfortunately failing. Syd in 67, Syd in 69.....VERY different people. To each his own as to why he pursued the solo career. I love it all but solo stuff is sadto me ONLY because he's hurting & the imagery, although still there is much more bleak. I mean 24-36 months b4...Unbelievable!!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'm in luck with this thread as I was listening to both of them a couple of days ago.
When I first got into Pink Floyd (and swallowed of of bullshit myths about him in the process. But I'm alright now! Honest... <.8.> ) it was The Madcap Laughs that was my favourite. But I know favour Barrett.
I suppose I'll be getting the new remixed Introduction after all then?
What I liked about Barrett was the way other instrumentation had been added to the songs.
Still can't let go the conspiracy sabotage theory about not including Opel on The Madcap Laughs.
And I still find it hard to listen to the alternate takes. (At least "Opel" cut the chaff out!)