Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

crofloyd wrote:or world music...
Hahahaha, I love you!
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

As long as he plays with rick and nick, no

Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Agreed.
itsmeagain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by itsmeagain »

whats all this crap about % who contributed what , the group formed in the 60's , some left some joined,

I don't care which members are in or out , the group like life evolves , some pepole like the early stuff some like the later stuff

all i know is in 1994 i went to a concert in Earls Court to see PINK FLOYD and I WAS BLOWN AWAY , my wife who up till then did not like floyd , came out of that concert gobsmacked,

this wasn't a pop concert it was an event , it was PINK FLOYD
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

itsmeagain wrote:whats all this crap about % who contributed what , the group formed in the 60's , some left some joined,

I don't care which members are in or out , the group like life evolves , some pepole like the early stuff some like the later stuff

all i know is in 1994 i went to a concert in Earls Court to see PINK FLOYD and I WAS BLOWN AWAY , my wife who up till then did not like floyd , came out of that concert gobsmacked,

Hell yeah! :twisted:
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

itsmeagain wrote:whats all this crap about % who contributed what , the group formed in the 60's , some left some joined,

^A Bold Statement.

I agree with it.
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

K......First let me say that the last live solo performace Gilmour did was by far some of the best stuff he's done (solo wise) since his 78 solo effort. Gilmours Meltdown shows were killer.

2nd......I agree that after the wall they should have collectivly folded it up and gave the name back to SYD.

3rd.......All post Wall Floyd albums were essentially solo efforts by those who were in control. Though TFC is my favorite post WALL Floyd album. I don't kid myself, It's Rogers 2nd solo album. I bought AMLOR and I havent listened to it since and I haven't spent money on any of the subsequent releases. They're lackluster and sound like everyones going through the motions. And Dave always sounds like he's searching for another COMFORTABLY NUMB type hit.

4th........Yeah Dave ************************************

EDITED BY ADMIN - That wasn't very nice. No bashing members of the band or forum please. :-)
kipnow
Axe
Axe

Post by kipnow »

I don't think he has to give up the Pink Floyd brand. Why should he? He was in PF, he wanted to continue, the others didn't or didn't care but were willing to go along. MLOR is still one of the better releases of 1987 (or whatever year it was released) and if someone buy's it because of the name Pink Floyd, who cares? I know a lot of people who like the music, and even some who like the words ;)
But I think he already did give up the name at this time.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

So why don't he put Pink Floyd on the new album
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

madcap69 wrote:So why don't he put Pink Floyd on the new album
'Cause that really would be flogging the dead horse
mnagoda
Axe
Axe

Post by mnagoda »

Gilmour should not fold up Pink Floyd. Reason is is that that would totally KILL the chances of a reunion concert/tour with Roger. I know it doesnt seem very likely, but with nick, rick, roger kind of becoming friends again...it is possible in the future. folding up the floyd would kill that chance, and I for one who has never seen them in concert, would at least like to see them play before i die. nuff said.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Can't say i'd support a pink floyd tour without an album to promote

WYWH 30th anniversary would be ok of course though that's about as likely as George Bush appologising to the people of Iraq
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Post by dearboy »

Well, for all the litigation that DG had to go through to maintain possession of the name, I say he can do whatever he want with it.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Haven't read the whole thread but while reading some of the posts I changed my mind. I don't like the post Final Cut Floyd as much as I do like the "old" Floyd. But now you can go visit a concert with lots of good Floyd stuff every few years. Pink Floyd in the late 80's and early 90's and Roger Waters a couple of years ago. Actually quite a nice solution. So let David have the name.
Actually I think I like the Meltdown dvd better than a Roger In the flesh or Pulse dvd. It's much cosier than the large stadium concerts-recordings. I haven't seen David solo but rewatching Roger live on dvd didn't impress me as much as watching David.
sydsgnome
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sydsgnome »

kipnow wrote:I don't think he has to give up the Pink Floyd brand. Why should he? He was in PF, he wanted to continue, the others didn't or didn't care but were willing to go along. MLOR is still one of the better releases of 1987 (or whatever year it was released) and if someone buy's it because of the name Pink Floyd, who cares? I know a lot of people who like the music, and even some who like the words ;)
But I think he already did give up the name at this time.

i'm not sure that amlor would have sold as many as a gilmour solo than it did with the floyd brand but he's sntitled to use the name of coruse