Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Just Another Guest

Post by Just Another Guest »

Roger waters is over-rated.

Post by Guest »

And david gilmour is over weight
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

And my dad is bigger than your dad :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

this is getting silly! He is a very fat man. We all know. Nothing to learn there!! :)
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Well, he IS fat, that's true...

But going back to the point, I don't think that Gilmour (with Wright and Mason) should give up the name Pink Floyd. First of all, who should be the new owner??, Waters??, I don't think so, he is only 1 of the classic 4 members (at least, now we have 3 of 4), and he seems more comfortable working in his solo carreer than going back to the Floyd. I guess the idea of the new Wallis-Pratt-Renwick-Carin Floyd isn't too bad... :D

In fact, I think Gilmour's efforts to keep the Floyd alive are highly underrated by us (the fans). Out there will always be people crying "ohh, when you'll come back Roger??", but don't even try to listen to the last albums. I know A momentary lapse of reason it's not a good album (at least, not a good PINK FLOYD album), but he was almost alone working on it. Wright wasn't an official member, and was creatively destroyed 'cause Roger's attacks in the past (and some... stuff, too), and Mason wasn't even there while playing, so, it took only to Gilmour's talent to make this think work, and we all know that, in the lyrics, Roger is far more than Dave, and that was evident in AMLOR (Anthony Moore wasn't the man, was he??). In The Division Bell, the old Pink Floyd sound is back and even the lyrics are (just) a bit better (but not so good as Roger's). The album seemed stronger, with a couple of good songs, and the rest, I think, is a good stuff to listen.

After all, if some people think that the name of the band should have been given when Roger left, then why it wasn't given when Syd left??, he named the band, he defined it's first sound... the same question that created this discusion board was made in the old '68 i think, when the fans were divided: "Roger is a crap compared to Syd" some fans said, and "noo, Roger is a good song-writer too" other fans replied.... now take this words to the actual fight, and just change the names... "Syd" for "Roger" and "Roger" for "David"... the band survived then, why not let them try now??

Don't misunderstand me, I really like Roger's work, except for Radio KAOS, and I believe that Amused to Death is better than Broken China (In fact, ATD is the best solo work of any of the Floyd members), but i think that coming back to the old "Waters vs. Gilmour" take us to nowhere. If you don't like the last albums, don't listen to them, and don't buy them, but don't forget that these are labeled as "Pink Floyd" works, and, especially, that there are 3 persons that worked hard to keep the band we all love alive, and I'm thankful for it (even if sometimes they seem to fail) :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Stilgar wrote:Well, he IS fat, that's true...
I don't understand why anyone cares about Gilmour's weight. He's not a male model. So what if he's over-weight? I don't get it...
Stilgar wrote: But going back to the point, I don't think that Gilmour (with Wright and Mason) should give up the name Pink Floyd. First of all, who should be the new owner??

I think the name should be retired. In fact, I think Pink Floyd should have "retired" immediately after The Wall Tour.
Waters??, I don't think so, he is only 1 of the classic 4 members (at least, now we have 3 of 4)
3/4 does not equal 4/4, but I do not believe Rick Wright, Nick Mason, and David Gilmour are 3/4th of what was once Pink Floyd. Although I do believe Pink Floyd was once a group made up of Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason, that does not mean I am saying each member was SIMPLY 1/4th of the band. The contributions from each member were NOT equal. As such, I feel it is ludicrous to say they WERE all equal (i.e., each member essentially made up 1/4th of the band).
and he seems more comfortable working in his solo carreer than going back to the Floyd. I guess the idea of the new Wallis-Pratt-Renwick-Carin Floyd isn't too bad... :D
I'd be more than amused to death by such a lineup. They could star on the Comedy Power Hour each week.
but he was almost alone working on it. Wright wasn't an official member, and was creatively destroyed 'cause Roger's attacks in the past (and some... stuff, too)
See the thread "December '99 Mojo Magazine Article" in the Pink Floyd forum.
After all, if some people think that the name of the band should have been given when Roger left, then why it wasn't given when Syd left??, he named the band, he defined it's first sound... the same question that created this discusion board was made in the old '68 i think, when the fans were divided: "Roger is a crap compared to Syd" some fans said, and "noo, Roger is a good song-writer too" other fans replied.... now take this words to the actual fight, and just change the names... "Syd" for "Roger" and "Roger" for "David"... the band survived then, why not let them try now??
In 1968, Pink Floyd were not as big as they were in 1986. It is logical to argue that the Floyd easily could have changed their name after Syd's "departure," and still went along the path they did until the DSOTM, which still would have launched them to superstar success world-wide (DSOTM sold well initially, for the most part, because of its content not the band's name, unlike the Post-Waters Floyd albums). Instead of us referring to them as "Pink Floyd" today, we would be referring to them as something else. I believe it's rather outlandish to compare Pink Floyd (Formerly known by many as "THE Pink Floyd") circa 1968 to "Pink Floyd" circa 1986- :wink: onward.

Post by Guest »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
Stilgar wrote:Well, he IS fat, that's true...
I don't understand why anyone cares about Gilmour's weight. He's not a male model. So what if he's over-weight? I don't get it...

Are you the same Real Pink on The Inside that was on the pinkfan board? If so, I used to visit there sometimes and quite a lot of the posters there, including you wasted alot of space making fun of his weight and posting insults and unflattering pictures. I'm not surprized that board is gone now.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I am the same guy from Pinkfan.com. Yes, I did post a few pictures of David Gilmour on there (Along with pictures of RW, RWi, SB, and NM). All of the pictures I posted were from numerous Pink Floyd web sites. One cannot really say they are too unflattering if they are on a Pink Floyd web site, right?

Anyway, if I did make fun of his weight on there it was simply to crack a laugh, not to be mean-spirited. I honestly do not give a damn about his weight, and I doubt many PF fans do.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

nobody cares about his weight, it's all a joke

Oh look, i know this probably hasn't been raised on this thread, hut i have to ask, a fan shotung 68, how do you know they weren't requesting the song summer 68?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Oh look, i know this probably hasn't been raised on this thread, hut i have to ask, a fan shotung 68, how do you know they weren't requesting the song summer 68?
Did they shout it before summer 68 was released?? Were they simply requesting Syd material? :)
mihalis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mihalis »

is it only me who like tDB and aMLoR? :? i like the different style of music :lol: . and those who would like a PF reunion, it would not be at all possible for them to come together if Waters had won the legal battle and killed PF. Everyone seems to say that Gilmour wanted to over power Wright but Gilmour would have wanted the music to have a lot of guitars in it, cause he plays the guitar. Why would he ask Wright back if he didnt want him in the band? :? If he had given up with PF after the departure of Waters, you would probably all be saying how stupid he was to not keep going.
ok so thats all just my view and im not bothered if you all disagree with me because i love the division bell, its my favourite album in fact. :P :P :P :!:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Oh as for that summer 68 question, no, it was sometime in the 70's and roger shouted this isn't 68, this is (insert year i can't remember)
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

mihalis wrote:is it only me who like tDB and aMLoR? :?
Well, yes and no... There are IMO 3 good songs on those albums (Learing To Fly, Sorrow and High Hopes), the rest of the stuff on those albums is just boring/poor.
Moonturtle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Moonturtle »

I think David Gilmour has rights to the name after all Roger Waters didn't name the band Syd Barrett did and David and Syd were friends first. I think he has tried with all his heart to continue Pink Floyd. David contributed to that band just as much as Waters did. Sure Waters was unquestionable a great lyracist but with out Gimours awesome sounds to back up those lyrics what would Floyd have been like? I am a diehard Gilmour fan but I do recognize Waters for the amazing talent he was too. When I listen to Floyd I am so into the music. I can't even describe what happens when I listen. It's amazing. Even with out the lyrics the music stands on its own. Mason was such an awesome drummer and he and Gilmour gave Floyd their unique sound as much as Waters lyrics ever did. I think they worked best when they were all together though. Floyd lost something when Waters left but you gotta give Gilmour credit for trying. He is my favorite guitarist ever. I rate him higher than a lot of the greats like Hendrix and SRV and all them not because of the complexity of his talent but the emotions his music generates. He is one of the greatest and in America one of the most underated guitarist. Mason is also underated here. When we hear the greatest guitarist and drummer we often hear Hendrix and the dude from The Who.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

If Gilmour dont want to continue why doesn't he give up the name and let Mason and Wright do with it what they want.