Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i don't feel Roger was the driving force of the band pre dark side, and by the way, the lyrics until that point weren't great either. Call that subjective if you like, but it's obviosu they got better after DSOTM.

When i say he was the bassist i don't mean that in a degading way, but come on, he was hardly the dominater of the band was he. Ok, so i'm sure he had more enthusiasm than the rest of the band (Gilmour said it in Mojo, december 2001) but i don't feel the pre dark side era owes more to him than Gilmour. Meddle i feel was more down to Gilmour than Waters. but even more down to a proper collaberation.

I know it's different but my point is that it's moe logical to come up with a bassline first so you have a rough rythm to the song.

Although roger wrte most of the music to TW and TFC is doubt he did for WYWH or Animals. the ideas are the concepts and the ways inw hcih the music interprets them. But by no means did he write Dave;;s guitar parts, perhaps recommended how they could sound.

Nick deserves no credit, but the band as a unit is basically the other 3.

Roger created the bassline, the easiest and most logical part of a song to create first.

Oh and by the way, i know roger dominated the wall and his era, but the point is, he didn't dominate the band for their whole career! He doesn't deserve credit of r65% of the musical output from pink floyd.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:What would be the point of that, Spinoza? Ask everyone in here to come up with their favorite 15 Floyd songs, and I guarantee you all of the lists will be unique.
I asked not for your favourite songs. I asked for Floyd Classics. Just as you can ask people for famous Rollingstones songs or famous Mozarttunes. Got it. We want to have look at the songs most people out there know as Floydtunes and use that as a tool to measure the contribution to Floyds reputation in the world.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Money and Another Brick In The Wall Part II are clearly Pink Floyd's best-known tunes.

It's just a silly question, Spinoza. Everyone has their own opinion of what "classic" Floyd tunes are or whatever. Clearly Money and ABITW Part II are the only real big singles they had.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Money and Another Brick In The Wall Part II are clearly Pink Floyd's best-known tunes.

It's just a silly question, Spinoza. Everyone has their own opinion of what "classic" Floyd tunes are or whatever. Clearly Money and ABITW Part II are the only real big singles they had.
I think only you find it a silly question. It's just the same thing as asking for well-known Wagner or Bachtunes. But i think the conclusion that will be drawn from my question is not what you like to hear.

BTW, i did not ask for big singles.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

But i think the conclusion that will be drawn from my question is not what you like to hear.
Oh? Let's play your game.

Facts:

- Pink Floyd's best-known albums by far are The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon, two of the best-selling albums of all-time. As a result, the songs on these albums are clearly the best-known Pink Floyd songs.
- Roger Waters wrote ALL of the lyrics and MOST of the music to The Wall and The Dark Side Of The Moon.

- Pink Floyd are best-known for their grandiose concept albums of the '70s.
- The concept albums of the '70s (i.e., DSOTM-The Wall) are concept albums solely because of Roger Waters.

- Money is the best-known song from DSOTM.
- Money is probably Pink Floyd's best-known song.
- Roger Waters wrote Money (Money hit it big because of its lyrics and the sound effects at the beginning. Ask anybody from the '70s who is not a huge fan of Pink Floyd about Money, and they'll respond "ca-ching!" or make a reference to the sound effects. They will probably quote some of the memorable lyrics too. If you ask a bunch of non-Floyd fans about Money, more people will hum the bassline than refer to the guitar solo on Money. Guitar solos are a "dime a dozen" in most people's eyes, and that is why they will not harp back on the solo in Money).

- Another Brick In The Wall Part II is the best-known song from The Wall.
- ABITW Part II is probably Pink Floyd's second best-known song.
- Roger Waters wrote ABITW Part II (BTW, do you seriously think Gilmour's unnecessary guitar solo at the end of the song is the reason why it topped charts across the globe? :lol: "We don't need no education!" is why it hit it big. The basic tune Roger Waters came up with and THE LYRICS, in particular, are clearly the primary reason why this rather disco-esque song hit it big!)

Conclusion: It is so obvious I do not even need to state it.

Happy? :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Hmmm...For some reason it posted my above message twice (This is the edit).
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Hmmm...For some reason it posted my above message twice (This is the edit).
Perhaps you got carried away a little and needed to press submit twice to hurry it up??? :lol: :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Well, I posted it, and it was taking a while for the "confirmation" message to load, so I pressed stop and then refresh on my browser. That may be why it posted twice. Sorry, Keith...
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Clearly just about everything you stated is true and logical, RPITI.

However, I think that Another Brick in the Wall part II is clearly their most well known song. Money is probably second.. but I think you mention Pink Floyd and people think "We Don't Need No Education"..

As far as classic Pink Floyd songs.. I think that just depends on the individual persons preference. If you ask the mainstream they will probably say anything off DSOTM or The Wall.
Last edited by NewEarthMud on Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote: Guitar solos are a "dime a dozen" in most people's eyes, and that is why they will not harp back on the solo in Money).
Damn right. it's the song that counts. Always. Listen to the Division Bell for example. Lots of technically great guitar work but it's all just decorating the worst excuses for songs. And the result? an album of complete dung.

What's that expression? 'you can't polish a t*rd'.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

NewEarthMud wrote:However, I think that Another Brick in the Wall part II is clearly their most well known song. Money is probably second.. but I think you mention Pink Floyd and people think "We Don't Need No Education"
i agree, ABITW II is definitly more popular than money, but money is pretty damn popular too. but yea, years ago i used to think "hmm, pink floyd, oh right, we dont need no education"
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I suppose I should have said ABITW Part II is more popular than Money. They're both very popular.

Since DSOTM has sold more copies than The Wall & the ABITW Part II single, I went with Money over ABITW Part II.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Well argue over this songs:

1. ABITW pt II ( Waters ): lots of covers by other groups ( hereafter LOC )
2. Money ( Waters )
3. CN ( Waters/Gilmour ) LOC
4. Run Like Hell ( Waters / Gilmour )
5. Wish You were Here ( Waters / Gilmour ) LOC
6. Shine On ( Waters / Gilmour / Wright ): LOC
7. The Great Gig In The Sky ( Wright )
8. Time ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )
9. One of these Days ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )
10. Echoes ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )

I'm not taling about albums nor about hits nor about the fact that many people own that particular album , just about Which songs do People know when they hear the name Pink Floyd. I'm not talking only about the masses nor about the diehard fan. I'm speaking in general terms.
Conclusions:
1. Waters: 9
Gilmour: 7
Wright: 5
Mason: 3
2. It gives another point of view. I'm not saying this is better, but clearly the songs most people clearly Remember are these. Just as you can make a "best of " of any other group.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote: 3. CN ( Waters/Gilmour ) LOC
Great song. One of PF's best-known songs, but not nearly on par with Money or ABITW Part II.
4. Run Like Hell ( Waters / Gilmour )
This certainly does not belong at number four. Just because David Gilmour decided it should be at the end of a bunch of shows on the MLOR and DB tours does not make it their fourth best-known song, or even one of their best-known songs (Note that RLH isn't even on A Collection of Great Dance Songs OR Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd OR Works).

Excluding CN and ABITW Pt. II, Hey You (Waters) is probably their most popular tune from The Wall.
5. Wish You were Here ( Waters / Gilmour ) LOC
Very popular. It's probably number three or four overall.
6. Shine On ( Waters / Gilmour / Wright ): LOC
Very popular among mainstream fans, but not nearly as popular Money and ABITW Pt. II, or even CN and WYWH.
7. The Great Gig In The Sky ( Wright )
8. Time ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )
I am willing to bet neither one of these is nearly as popular as Brain Damage/Eclipse (Waters). There is not a person on the planet who owns DSOTM that does not know where the line "The lunatic is on the grass..." is from. I bet if you were to ask a bunch of non-Floyd fans about DSOTM, the most prevalent initial responses would be "The lunatic is on the grass!"; "Money!"; and "There is no dark side of the moon really..."
9. One of these Days ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )
10. Echoes ( Waters / Gilmour / Mason / Wright )
These are relatively obscure pieces that get nearly no radio exposure.
I'm not taling about albums nor about hits nor about the fact that many people own that particular album , just about Which songs do People know when they hear the name Pink Floyd.
When most people hear the name Pink Floyd, they think immediately of either Money or ABITW Part II (Or DSOTM or The Wall) OR they think of their concept albums of the '70s if they're rock fans that like, NOT love, PF.
I'm not talking only about the masses nor about the diehard fan. I'm speaking in general terms.
Mainstream Floyd fans then? Or just everyone who knows anything about Pink Floyd?

Ask a bunch of people "What do you think of Wagner?" and almost all of them will simply reply, "OH yes, the guy who made Ride Of The Valkyries."
It gives another point of view.
It is another less objective point of view.
I'm not saying this is better, but clearly the songs most people clearly Remember are these.
No.

You actually think MOST people remember Echoes and OOTD? Man, dream on. I thought this was not about die-hard Floyd fans. Those songs are from Meddle, an album that has sold nothing compared to The Wall and The Dark Side Of The Moon.

Have A Cigar is probably more famous than Echoes and OOTD if only because of the Foo Fighters' recent cover of it.

GGITS over Brain Damage/Eclipse? Yeah, we all know why you put in GGITS over BD/E.

Having RLH on the list but not Hey You? Whatever. I've heard Hey You on the radio far more than RLH.

You could at least try to be somewhat objective, Spinoza :roll:
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

To list One of these Days and Echoes is quite absurd. Nobody knows those songs except die hard Pink Floyd fans. My dad, for instance, saw Pink Floyd in concert when they were promoting Dark Side of the Moon. He has a lot of their records yet had never heard Echoes until I played it for him. He had heard One of these Days but had forgotten about it when I played it for him.

Nobody thinks about "Echoes" or "One of these Days" when you say Pink Floyd...unless it's a die hard like one of us.

Infact, most people know Brain Damage/Eclipse probably more than CN. Brain Damage/Eclipse should be either number three or four on your list because most people think the song is actually called "Dark Side of the Moon" since it says.. "..I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.."

And I'd put Wish You Were at probably number three or four as well... over CN. Most everybody knows WYWH.