Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Alright, I'll try as well:

1. Brick II
2. Money
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Learning to Fly :shock:
5. High Hopes :shock:
6. Time
7. CN
8. Take It Back :shock: (it WAS a single after all, and it WAS played a lot on MTV back in 94)
9. See Emily Play
10. Run Like Hell
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Well , NEM, i think you underestimate the songs echoes and /or OOTD. Quite a lot of people i know, that are no diehardfans or even floydlikers, know these songs. Concerning CN, it frequently played by groups during concerts eg Anathema and The Sisters of Mercy.
Maybe the knowledge of certain songs is also a bit region-bound. Maybe in the US they play more Braindamage ? I don't know. Thanks for the replie.

BTW, my list was not a listing with the most-importantsongs coming first etc. I just wrote them down as they came up in my mind.

BTW, even when you skip Echoes and OOTD, just diminish the creditvaleus with two.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

What a disaster, Spinoza.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Concerning CN, it frequently played by groups during concerts eg Anathema and The Sisters of Mercy.
Sorry for going off-topic, but that Sisters of Mercy cover is horrible, and yes I like The Sisters of Mercy otherwise.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

ive thought about this, and these are the most popular songs in order of popularity

1. Another Brick in the Wall part 2
2. Money
3. Brain Damage
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Comfortably Numb
6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond

in my opinion, after that, you have songs like time, great gig, us and them, mother, and other radio friendly songs, but they are all on the same par, not really near the top 6. its amazing considering how popular pink floyd is and how little people recognize and know the names of their songs
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

What in satan's name is all this radio stuff about Mother? Does it get played a lot in the US or something? Why?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:What in satan's name is all this radio stuff about Mother? Does it get played a lot in the US or something? Why?
because its one of the best songs off the wall, and yes, it gets alot of radio play in my city, heres a huge list of songs ive heard on the radio, its huge. one of these days, breathe, time, great gig in the sky, money, us and them, brain damage/eclipse, shine on 1-5, welcome to the machine, wish you were here, have a cigar, another brick, mother, one of my turns, hey you, comfortably numb, run like hell, two suns in the sunset, not now john, learning to fly, sorrow, and some live stuff
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Tommy wrote: 1. Another Brick in the Wall part 2
2. Money
3. Brain Damage
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Comfortably Numb
6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Now this is a very sensible list (Let's face it: These are practically the only PF songs that almost every music lover recognizes immediately as being by Pink Floyd). This is basically how I see it, too, although I would probably treat Brain Damage and Eclipse as one song because that's how most people see it, or so I gather.

Using Tommy's list and Spinoza's idea of a "conclusion" from such a list:

Waters: 6
Gilmour: 3
Wright: 1

Reminds me of my earlier post in this thread where I said Pink Floyd was:

Roger: 60%
David: 30%
Rick: 9% (Nothing after WYWH)
Nick: 1%
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Now this is a very sensible list (Let's face it: These are practically the only PF songs that almost every music lover recognizes immediately as being by Pink Floyd). This is basically how I see it, too, although I would probably treat Brain Damage and Eclipse as one song because that's how most people see it, or so I gather.
i meant to put eclipse, just forgot, but your right, people know them together as one song, thats how its always played on the radio and stuff
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Where I live there are really 3 good rock radio stations,they all play Pink Floyd everyday.1 of them will play 2-3 in a row,they call it time for your Floyd fix.All 3 play a wide range of songs from Piper to the TDB.It's hard to say what the play the most cause the play such a wide variety of songs.I'd say they play at least 15 songs between them and not the same ole songs.1 of them at least once a year will play nothing but Pink Floyd all weekend long,it's great.So they really educate a lot of people to all P-F songs.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

In RPITI's list of six songs , I would replace Brain Damage. It's probably the least played song here in Europe. Could in fact easily be replaced with Learning to Fly, High Hopes, Keep Takling or Take it back. Not because these last songs are "better" than Braindamage, but because as being singles, they will probably be played a lot, so maybe more people could recognise and know them.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

There are more rocks stations in the US. More PF albums have been sold in the US than in Europe (Excluding Britain, where Brain Damage is just as popular as in the US). As a result, Brain Damage should stay. It's probably the third most popular song over here. Keep Talking? :lol: High Hopes? :lol: Who the hell plays those on the radio in 2003, let alone more than the classic BD/E from the DSOTM? Most people actually think Brain Damage/Eclipse is CALLED "The Dark Side Of The Moon."

I have to admit I have heard Learning To Fly on the radio quite a bit, but not nearly as much as the other six songs. It fits in the "Mother," "Have A Cigar," "Welcome To The Machine," etc. category. It gets played on the radio some, you'll find it on Kazaa, etc., but most people won't recognize it immediately as PF. Really, those six songs are the only HUGE PF songs that most everybody who listens to any rock recognizes.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Tommy wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:What in satan's name is all this radio stuff about Mother? Does it get played a lot in the US or something? Why?
because its one of the best songs off the wall, and yes, it gets alot of radio play in my city, heres a huge list of songs ive heard on the radio, its huge. one of these days, breathe, time, great gig in the sky, money, us and them, brain damage/eclipse, shine on 1-5, welcome to the machine, wish you were here, have a cigar, another brick, mother, one of my turns, hey you, comfortably numb, run like hell, two suns in the sunset, not now john, learning to fly, sorrow, and some live stuff
PS I don't dislike Mother or anything. :oops: :)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I feel this argument is just getting a bit stupid now, not because it brakes any rules, but because the direction has just turned illogical with this list of 10 best pink floyd songs and stuff.

How about we come to this agreement which should suit everyone:

Roger was definitly more talented than David Gilmour when it came to being a song writer for pink floyd. He did afterall write more songs and sing more songs. David Gilmour is still talented on the guitar and even if he doesn't deserve it (which is debateable and is based on perosnal opinion) David owns the pink floyd name and isn't going to lose it any time soon.

Wether or not Roger's contributions are being exaggreated here, it is fair to say he was the best song writer to grace pink floyd because he was the best lyricist and wether or not Gilmour helped with the music he principally did write the wall

Anyway, what does everyone think of that?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

"Keep Talking? :lol: High Hopes? :lol: Who the hell plays those on the radio in 2003, let alone more than the classic BD/E from the DSOTM?"

The local Classic Rock station plays "Keep Talking", and "High Hopes" on a pretty regular basis. Along with the usual suspects ("Money", "Brian Damage", "Wish You were Here", "Comfortably Numb"). They also have an all request show on Saturday nights, where anything goes. A few weeks back someone requested "Several Species...", and they actually played it. I keep meaning to call in to ask them to play "Revolution 9". :D