Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

dgsyd1 wrote:I keep meaning to call in to ask them to play "Revolution 9". :D
:lol: :lol:

Now THAT would be something! Or you could request AHM so you will have the longest request by far! :lol:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I have never heard anything from the division bell on the radio, why would they play it on a classic rock station? its not classic rock! even so, in my life i have been forced to listen to newer stations (carpool middle school) and i dont remember hearing the name Pink Floyd ever, so i dont think TDB gets any radio play in america at least, dont see why it would, the songs dont work well individually
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:There are more rocks stations in the US. More PF albums have been sold in the US than in Europe (Excluding Britain, where Brain Damage is just as popular as in the US). As a result, Brain Damage should stay. It's probably the third most popular song over here. Keep Talking? :lol: High Hopes? :lol: Who the hell plays those on the radio in 2003, let alone more than the classic BD/E from the DSOTM? Most people actually think Brain Damage/Eclipse is CALLED "The Dark Side Of The Moon."

I have to admit I have heard Learning To Fly on the radio quite a bit, but not nearly as much as the other six songs. It fits in the "Mother," "Have A Cigar," "Welcome To The Machine," etc. category. It gets played on the radio some, you'll find it on Kazaa, etc., but most people won't recognize it immediately as PF. Really, those six songs are the only HUGE PF songs that most everybody who listens to any rock recognizes.
Rarely will you even hear anything off the Division Bell. The most popular songs that are played in the states off Division Bell is actually What Do You Want From Me. Some of the largest radio stations in the United States play that one more than any other song off DB. Learning to Fly gets airplay too... other than that I've never heard anything off DB or Lapse and we're talking about on some of the larger stations in the USA and the world like West Wood One who broadcast to all kinds of fm and am stations via satellite all over the world..
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I find the one era of Pink Floyd that gets little or no airplay in the US is the Syd Barrett Era, I don't think I've heard a single Syd song on the radio in the 3 years I've lived on this side of the Atlantic. But in all fairness, all of the pre DSOTM material is gets limited airplay at best over here. Infact I can remember one DJ talking about the bands history, and starting with DSOTM.
Last edited by dgsyd1 on Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

:roll:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

dgsyd1,I've heard it played on radio.Usually on double shot Tuesdays,that a good day to listen to my fovorite station.The Syd era isn't my favorite era.My favorite era is from where Dave came in till say The Wall.I like all Pink Floyd just some better than others.Any Pink Floyd beats 99% of the stuff out there.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Yes
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

David Smith wrote:I feel this argument is just getting a bit stupid now, not because it brakes any rules, but because the direction has just turned illogical with this list of 10 best pink floyd songs and stuff.

How about we come to this agreement which should suit everyone:

Roger was definitly more talented than David Gilmour when it came to being a song writer for pink floyd. He did afterall write more songs and sing more songs. David Gilmour is still talented on the guitar and even if he doesn't deserve it (which is debateable and is based on perosnal opinion) David owns the pink floyd name and isn't going to lose it any time soon.

Wether or not Roger's contributions are being exaggreated here, it is fair to say he was the best song writer to grace pink floyd because he was the best lyricist and wether or not Gilmour helped with the music he principally did write the wall

Anyway, what does everyone think of that?
Finally, someone is making sense.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Thank you :D
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

If he's willing to continue with the style on Division Bell, he shouldn't use it anymore. That just isn't Pink Floyd. If he is going back to the style from the seventies I have no problem that he's using the name.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Surely if he wanted to sound like pink floyd then he's go back to the 60's though.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Syd_Count wrote:If he's willing to continue with the style on Division Bell, he shouldn't use it anymore. That just isn't Pink Floyd. If he is going back to the style from the seventies I have no problem that he's using the name.
What style would that be? I've been a Floyd fan for nearly 25 years and I can tell it's Pink Floyd a mile away. All of their records released in the 70's have their own style and are different from each other; but I can tell it's all Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If he wants to continue with the vehicle known as Pink Floyd to put his songs out then that is fine. Rog may have been the main songwriter, singer and front man but he was only 1/4 of the band and it was his decision to leave. Roger Waters WAS NOT Pink Floyd. He was an important component of it. If Pink Floyd were just about Roger Waters lyrics then I think they would not have made it as a band. Indeed, I think their success is largley attributable to David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright. Syd Barrett's contribution is imeasurable also for the context he placed the band in with his musical creativity and the mythological legacy he left infront of him!! But Roger Waters, as much as I love his poetry, was no musician and, as such - in light of the fact that it was the music that made the Floyd - he is just a vitally important 1/4 of the band. This is my position. Care to move me? :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

thank you very much, keith !
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

What style would that be? I've been a Floyd fan for nearly 25 years and I can tell it's Pink Floyd a mile away. All of their records released in the 70's have their own style and are different from each other; but I can tell it's all Floyd.
I agree that the style is different at all albums, but the themes are a lot better and deeper then on Division Bell, though. Some stupid lovesong isn't very Pink Floyd, to me.