Should Dave Gilmour give up the pink floyd name?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Syd_Count wrote:I agree that the style is different at all albums, but the themes are a lot better and deeper then on Division Bell, though. Some stupid lovesong isn't very Pink Floyd, to me.
Yeah, but surely if you want to go by Pink Floyd style it would be psychadelic words with little depth and meaning like they did until 1973.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:
Syd_Count wrote:I agree that the style is different at all albums, but the themes are a lot better and deeper then on Division Bell, though. Some stupid lovesong isn't very Pink Floyd, to me.
Yeah, but surely if you want to go by Pink Floyd style it would be psychadelic words with little depth and meaning like they did until 1973.
just because no meaning is inspired in you Mr Smith doesn't mean that the stimuli that was the songs pre 1973 have no meaning! Art is a mirror which shows the viewer himself. Perhaps you see nothing for another reason?!?!?! :lol:

Only joking. I guess the early stuff was not for everybody. Devil worshiping and all!! :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Keith Jordan wrote: Art is a mirror which shows the viewer himself. Perhaps you see nothing for another reason?!?!?! :lol:
Could be the problem with most PWPF-"haters".
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I love it all. Blind faith, I guess! :wink:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Keith Jordan wrote: Only joking. I guess the early stuff was not for everybody. Devil worshiping and all!! :lol:
Uhhhhh......Luke? :shock: :| :-s [-X
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:Uhhhhh......Luke? :shock: :| :-s [-X
PATGOD lucifer sam? :lol: Others too!
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Heh...Keith...that was in light of recent LM posts. Um...guess nobody likes my humor but me. :roll: Hehe.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:Heh...Keith...that was in light of recent LM posts. Um...guess nobody likes my humor but me. :roll: Hehe.
I don't really follow the threads there anymore. Luke is just annoying. He needs to be in hospital I think. :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Spinoza wrote: Could be the problem with most PWPF-"haters".
I love the majority of stuff before DSOTM.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

when i said the words had no meaning and nor did the music i would like to point out i very much like it, it just lacked depth somewhat and although tracks like STCFTHOTS were great they really didn't mean much.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

So if David would give up the Pink Floyd name. What should Rick and Nick do with it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

madcap69 wrote:So if David would give up the Pink Floyd name. What should Rick and Nick do with it?
Paint it black!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Well if Dave gave it up and for some reason Rick or Nick thought it was in any way a good idea to continue with Pink Floyd then they have every right. It would be awful though, Pink Floyd with no Roger or Dave would be flogging a dead horse really.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

It could be very interesting and different then the PF music. They could do some jazzy psychedelic songs with a session bass player. Or some ambiental, or world music...
Neil

Post by Neil »

David Smith wrote:Well if Dave gave it up and for some reason Rick or Nick thought it was in any way a good idea to continue with Pink Floyd then they have every right. It would be awful though, Pink Floyd with no Roger or Dave would be flogging a dead horse really.
Mmm yeah - look at Genesis!! When Peter left, they carried on - that was ok. When Steve Hacket left, they carried on - that was ok. When Phil Collins left, they carried on - that wasn't ok!!! Rutherford and Banks probably had every right to hire 'what's-his-name' Wilson (was it?) and release 'Calling all Stations' as Genesis, however it was pretty awful stuff!!

My point is at least with PWPF and 'PostPeterGenesis' there was someone there on both occasions to assume the main singing/songwriting duties.. (ie, Dave and Phil)

If Nick and Rick carried on as Floyd and hired a seperate singer (Paul Carrack say) - they'd be in EXACTLY the same position as Genesis are currently in. And probably get very little respect..

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should !!
BTW I'm not trying to slag off Mike Rutherford or Tony Banks - I respect them both :)