Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Release

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Re: Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Rel

Post by Meandthem »

The DSoTM and WYWH are the ones I'm looking forward to - and would consider Meddle and AHM obvious, too...
As of AMLoR, I have never really liked it in the present edition - so if remixed, I might find whatever ya all been seeing, that has been a monumental lapse for me!?
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Post by Stinibobs »

I'm a sucker for special editions and the like, and as the only PF CD I own is DSotM I can't wait for these! I'm thinking the Immersion versions, the extras look interesting!
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

drafsack wrote:
snifferdog wrote:Though if anyone can make The Dogs of War sound less than horrible, I'd be fascinated. In a morbid sort of way :lol:
They would need a turd polishing cloth for that to happen
Well there's only so much you can polish a turd before you realise you've got sh** all over your hands :twisted:
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I'll be getting every single Immersion set they release!

To any Aussies planning on getting the Immersion box sets, get them through Amazon.co.uk if you want to save a lot of cash. $132 delivered compared to nearly $200-$220 at retail. Of course the DVDs will be region encoded for Europe, but most Australian DVD players are region free or can easily be unlocked. The BR region is the same for Europe and Aus.

=]
prosopon73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by prosopon73 »

I would like to get al the inmersion box sets but its expensive.

I have pre-ordered the DSOM inmersion box set, and the discovery box set.

I would love an Animal inmersion boxset to
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Ive decided I will make my own Wembley 1974 2cd set since theyre only going to give us dislocated fragments, copying the tracks that do get officially released and thenm adding to them from my own live/rare archives

that way I can add the Echoes encore to the end of cd2, and the Jimmy Young bit (from another show, maye Getting Better All the Time) to the beginning of cd1
make some customised artwork
and there it is, I get the album the way I want it sitting on my shelf and wont need to to bother with scarves or marbles or 5.1 surround sound remixes anymore

so many cds come out today in awkward "ecopackaging" makings it difficult to safely store the cd, I usually put my cds in jewel cases with customised artwork anyway
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Although I am incredibly excited about a professionally mixed Pink Floyd show from the 70s, I'm actually more excited about the fact that we're finally getting super high quality versions of the Quad mixes to listen to!!!
hookeve
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hookeve »

Yes, but why doesn't The Wall in 5.1 surround mix? [-X
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I don't know that a surround sound version was ever produced back in the 80s.

Quad mixes of DSotM and WYWH were made and released in 73 and 75 and a further 5.1 mix was made for DSotM in 2003.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: ENTIRE CATALOG AND DELUXE EDITIONS COMING OUT! Unrelease

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:Are they better than the 90s remasters?
Most probably not.

New remasters in the era of the loudness war tend to be more compressed and with loss of fidelity. They may sound loud and clear at first glance but actually have less dynamic range and more distortion (clipping) in the audio file. So feel glad you were able to got your 90s remasters before this Discovery versions replace them in the stores.

A good example is the PATGoD recent re-issue. The 90s remaster is actually of higher quality than the 40th anniversary remaster. Same goes with the DSoTM 30th and the 90s remaster. Sometimes new doesn't necesarily means better.

Although, if they remaster the whole catalog they way The Beatles did, it may end sounding better indeed. Although the difference it's not going to blow your brains off for sure.
I think the 40th anniversary (2007) mono remaster sounds better than the (1997) 90s mono remaster, which sounds like a distorted AM-radio. The 40th anniversary version has a fuller, warmer sound. Although I haven't compared them side-by-side.

However, now I'm shocked to discover that at least the 40th anniversary version contains clipping, turning the VU meter into RED. ('Lucifer Sam') No matter how high the dynamic compression, there is no reason to go past red. The compression of the audio can simply be limited to never get past zero, which is the highest digital value. Whenever digital audio goes into red, I think of a sloppy reproduction. I'd very disappointed to pay loads of money for box sets that have CDs going into red.

I thought Pink Floyd was a harbour for audiophiles. I never expected to see a remastered Pink Floyd CD going into red. Or am I just smelling the coffee now?

Randomly I picked the remastered 'The End' of The Beatles. (stereo) No clipping. The remastered mono mix of 'It's All Too Much'. No clipping.
Comparing this with Pink Floyd's 40th anniversary clipping remastering of Piper, I'm even more than happy with my Beatles mono box. Even though I paid the full price for it.
Are The Beatles the real kings when it comes to audiophiles?

All the re-re-releases and the re-re-re-mastering has made me loose my pride. The discovery of the clipping even more so. I'll be downloading the immersion sets when they come out. I'll look at those downloads as a free present by Pink Floyd, thanking me for already having bought multiple CDs of the same material.

Also, the fact that fans still must guess if maybe, very maybe the Vegetable Men and the Seabirds finally will get released, is just the same, lame old news.
Okay, Mason has discovered some early recordings where Barrett is still crystal clear. But does 'Lucy Leave' weigh up against the 1966-1967 material that made Barrett and Pink Floyd so special? I think's it's comparable with listening to The Beatles's down-to-earth, crystal clear Decca Sessions, instead of their experimental Pepper sessions.

Putting 'Is There Anybody Out There' into the box set of The Wall is almost criminal. If downloading is stealing, then what is letting fans buy the same material over and over again? I think the 'By The Way' box set turns out to be a nasty money maker. Letting your fans buy an expensive box set that gets obsolete within a few years, is just nasty.

Rant, rant, rant... This somehow happens to me every time when the words "Pink Floyd" and "previously unreleased" are used in the same sentence. When I saw the immersion news I was very excited, only to discover within seconds, that AGAIN there's the same old mystery around Barrett material from the period of summer to winter 1967.

In case anyone gets to ask a question, then let it just be the simple question if we fans can expect immersions of the Barrett years. I've already seen talk about remixing an album from the Gilmour years. ('Momentary'.) No news about Barrett, other than Mason finding some embryonic tapes.
Let them just be clear about this. Even if it's yet another no.

Rant, rant, rant... Where are my pills? ](*,) ;)
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

I honestly have no relationship at all with them but have just pre-ordered the Dark Side immersion box from Tesco Entertainment in the UK for £75, using a current pre order discount code, which makes it the cheapest price I've seen so far. It also comes with a "price promise" so that if the price drops further prior to release they will charge the lower price. My card will not be charged until release in September. Go to http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/browse/home/ and then type the code 15PO15-1 in just before checkout.
This works for any pre order over 15 quid so you could get all three box sets if you were rich! This is legit and I hope it is helpful to those who are taking the plunge!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

jambo wrote:To any Aussies planning on getting the Immersion box sets, get them through Amazon.co.uk if you want to save a lot of cash. $132 delivered compared to nearly $200-$220 at retail. Of course the DVDs will be region encoded for Europe, but most Australian DVD players are region free or can easily be unlocked. The BR region is the same for Europe and Aus.
Further on this, JB HiFi have announced their prices for the Immersion box sets at $159 AUD, which is actually pretty decent. DVDs will be the correct region and you'll be able to pick them up day 1 instead of having to wait for shipping.

I might just go retail, I want them as soon as I can get them!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I'm glad I became a Pink Floyd fan when I did. I haven't even bought all their studio albums yet, so I'm going to suck it up and wait until the Discovery Box Set comes out. I can kill 14 birds with one stone that way.

When EMI does campaigns like these, they really know how to please the fans. Once September comes around (Good God, almost one more month!), things are going to get epic.
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

I'm really interested in hearing what the new remaster of ASOS sounds like.
I bought the "Oh By The Way" box set a few years ago and I was mostly satisfied with the sound quality except on the ASOS album. Not sure why, but some of the songs sounded like they were being played on an old FM radio. I hope this new remaster cleans the album up really good because out of all of PF's albums, this one needed the most polish.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

The albums that are SERIOUSLY in need of some clean-up are a few of the earlier albums, like More, AHM, and ASoS. Animals needs some cleaning, as well, IMO.