David Gilmour Joins Roger Waters at London O2 May 12th 2011

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Re: Gilmour playing tonight !!

Post by siderealxxx »

Full-length pro shot from official PF site: http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/news_release.php

Like many I'm SO gutted I missed this (I have tickets for Tues & Weds) but at least we have the document. I can't imagine what it would've been like but at least I still get to see the show.

That said, this is (unfortunately) not the greatest performance I've seen from Mr. G at all. His singing is ropey at first and of course he then gets the words wrong. Even his trademark solo is not his most inspired or accurate.

I imagine the pressure and nerves simply shook him a little when he was up there. That's why I imagined in reality he would play more than one show... it was always a risk at this level. That said it hasn't dented anyones credibility and this has obviously gone epic in the media etc.

I only wish and dream that this isn't the end. Why Mason wasn't more actively involved I don't know (what was the harm in having him playing too?). I also don't understand why the 3 of them might consider doing a 'one-off for charity' but not for the fans... as if it's not a good enough reason. Especially when they're all in the building at the same time!

C'mon! PINK FLOYD REUNION!
tommyball
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tommyball »

siderealxxx wrote:Full-length pro shot from official PF site: http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/news_release.php

I only wish and dream that this isn't the end. Why Mason wasn't more actively involved I don't know (what was the harm in having him playing too?). I also don't understand why the 3 of them might consider doing a 'one-off for charity' but not for the fans... as if it's not a good enough reason. Especially when they're all in the building at the same time!

I wondered about this too, but I'm guessing for this kind of show, being reliant on timing with the videos, it may have been more trouble to bring in and mic Nick's kit, rehearse so he got the timing right, etc.. I don't know, just my 2¢. Also, the drummer is hidden for a lot of the show and except for the front part of the venue, largely invisible to most of the audience anyway.

-t.
tkdyce
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tkdyce »

Just back from my trip to London and attended the show on Thursday, having no access to the internet with me I had no idea of the rumours doing the rounds and fully expecting a no show until the end of the run at the O2, but when Dave was lit above the wall during Comfortably Numb, it was a moment I will never forget, that wave of noise from the audience was something else, and then to round it off with Dave and Nick on Outside The Wall and the emotion shown by Roger, truly a very special evening, never seen so many grown men with tears in their eyes at a concert before :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

siderealxxx wrote: Why Mason wasn't more actively involved I don't know (what was the harm in having him playing too?). I also don't understand why the 3 of them might consider doing a 'one-off for charity' but not for the fans... as if it's not a good enough reason. Especially when they're all in the building at the same time!

Politics I'd guess. I don't think David would want a "reunion" to happen in Roger's show. Just like I'd not have expected to see Roger pop along to play bass the evening that Nick made a guest appearance in the Royal Albert Hall. While it was very nice to see the three of them standing on a stage together again, I was thinking "That's all that's left of Pink Floyd now" :(
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Here is the official HD video of Outside the Wall complete with speech from Roger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqS7LAyup4