What if?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
sherer
Axe
Axe

Re: What if?

Post by sherer »

I wonder if The Wall Immesion box set will shed any light on this.

At the end of the day without listening to all the demo's Roger brought to The Wall sessions we son't know exactly what was and wasn't planned for The Wall.

Just because songs have the same title doesn't mean the lyrics weren't changed between the two albums
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

sherer wrote:I wonder if The Wall Immesion box set will shed any light on this.
I seriously dount that it will.
sherer wrote:At the end of the day without listening to all the demos Roger brought to The Wall sessions we son't know exactly what was and wasn't planned for The Wall.
I have little expectation that we will get to hear these.
sherer wrote:Just because songs have the same title doesn't mean the lyrics weren't changed between the two albums
The lyrics, meaning, intention, melodies and entire purpose of any or all of the songs may well have altered several times in the process; I think it unlikely that we'll ever know ... but it is fun to speculate!
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

One little clue can be heard in the previews of the Wall Immersion edition that have been released at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNjTggageY. "It's Never Too Late" sounds like an early version of the coda to "Southhampton Dock". An instrumental version can be heard in the end credits of the movie, part of the revised version of "Outside The Wall", but we now know its musical (if not lyrical) origins go back further than the film sessions to the original album sessions of 1979.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

:-k hmm, good call! I hadn't noticed the similarities between that track and the last part of Southampton Dock, it's indeed the same melody.

Perhaps when the immersion box is finally released we should give this thread yet another spin!

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... 29&t=21763

Edit: oh oh, I believe I just created some kind of Ouroboros connection between this two threads... :D

Edit: actually I think that's a melody from When The Tigers Broke Free that's also reused in the middle part of Southampton Dock.