Revive this forum time!

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Revive this forum time!

Post by Stephen »

Keith Jordan wrote:If lots of people "like" a particular topic, for example, that is a signal to other people to look at that topic. It is a way of the community highlighting things to itself so that you don't miss gems of goodness amongst your spamming and negativity. <.8.>
'Stephen' likes this.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

J Ed wrote:could we sort the historic forum back into subforums by year? not just the current year, but all years going back to 1966?
right now its a bit too much work to dig back to find a discussion that may or may not have been had relating to 1971, for example

also I like the idea of an "ask a dumb question" thread or even subforum (call it something more encouraging though)
we can either answer the question where its asked or point the asker to an appropriate existing thread (which would probably be more work)
but everybodys got a question and should be encouraged to ask it
for example Im still wanting to know the name of Rogers first opening act in the 1990 Berlin concert and I posted that question 7 years ago!
I remember the hooters and thats about it - it was hot and we spent alot of time looking and queing for something to eat and drink
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i don't see whats wrong with the occasional negative post - sometimes its the only way to make a connection and spark some interest in the forum.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

This could be an opportunity to do some kind of community project, like Double Core etc... I really regret not throwing my hat into the ring on that one!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote:If lots of people "like" a particular topic, for example, that is a signal to other people to look at that topic. It is a way of the community highlighting things to itself so that you don't miss gems of goodness amongst your spamming and negativity. <.8.>
Fair enough.
On the side-note, I'll make it clear about the text in bold.
1. mostly gone
2. it NEVER came from ME.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Keith,seems that the e-mails got the forum moving so far
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Indeed, my friend. That is the first part of the plan. More home page features about forum threads has been working too and I shall feature the forum more on Facebook/Twitter/Newsletter too. 8)

Hopefully this weekend I will get the site on the new server then focus on adding some of the ideas from this thread to the forum like the social media side and statistics about the community. :D
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

well done, mr. Admin. :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:could we sort the historic forum back into subforums by year? not just the current year, but all years going back to 1966?
right now its a bit too much work to dig back to find a discussion that may or may not have been had relating to 1971, for example
I agree with this strongly...LIKE!!!
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

Hudini wrote:
danielcaux wrote:the problem is that most of the interesting topics have already been discussed to death or have been abandoned.
What's also a problem is that there are in fact new people on board that try to start a topic only to meet instant discouragement by the older folks, in the form of a "this has already been discussed a thousand times already" type of sentence, and never come back again.
Good thing we are not bound by such rules in everyday life, because the silence around the world would be staggering. There are topics that have been discussed before, especially concerning a defunct band like Pink Floyd. But there is also nothing new under the sun and I can bet that just about anything that anyone can discuss about any subject has been discussed before, at some point and some time during the course of the history of the world.

What is different, though, is that no two conversations are ever the same. It will never be discussed in exactly the same way. As a result, the problem is not the fact that it has been discussed before but that there are a group of closed minded individuals who think they know everything about a given subject and refuse to value new opinions.

This appears to me to be a discussion forum, not an archival one, so as long as people want to engage in discussions, they should be free to do so, regardless of how many times the subject has been visited. If this is not allowed, then please change the name of the site to Neptune Pink Floyd Wiki and be done with it.

My two pence. Thank you for reading and, by the way, hello to all. :D
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Making me a mod again would go a long way to bringing this forum back to it's former glory...

>_>
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

pastchristmas wrote:This appears to me to be a discussion forum, not an archival one, so as long as people want to engage in discussions, they should be free to do so, regardless of how many times the subject has been visited.
Feel free to discuss whatever you want, and welcome. Maybe your example will make some other new people post as well. That's what we need here.

Now I'm not an admin or a mod or at any position here that my voice should count more that anyone else's, but I believe that I speak for a lot of people here when I say that this in fact is a discussion board and that we're open to new conversations.

And I also believe that there are still numerous interesting topics left to discuss about Pink Floyd, despite the fact they don't work anymore, at least not under the name of Pink Floyd. Maybe you could start one?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

pastchristmas wrote:As a result, the problem is not the fact that it has been discussed before but that there are a group of closed minded individuals who think they know everything about a given subject and refuse to value new opinions.
Some of us DO know everything. :)

And just because a line of thinking is rejected doesn't mean that it hasn't been examined. I have opened my mind to a great many things that I followed out to their logical conclusion before rejecting.

But seriously...it's not even about that so much.

New opinions are not a problem...new opinions are welcomed.

But let's get a few things straight...Comfortably Numb does NOT extol the virtues of heroin usage (it is, in fact, about being injected with a stimulant...something that heroin is kinda the opposite of,) Roger Waters did NOT write Dark Side Of The Moon from inside an asylum, nor is he a modern prophet who foresaw the Falklands conflict in 1978 while writing The Wall, only excising the bits that became The Final Cut at the insistence of the rest of the band...and there was NEVER a member of the band named Eugene who was kicked out of the band after he murdered someone with an axe.

These are not "old opinions" that could benefit from "new blood."

These are facts.

But...welcome to the forum.

Discuss whatever you wish. :)
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

Well stated, Hudini and mosespa.

I am well aware of these facts and am by no means a "noob" to Pink Floyd lore.

I am also well aware that Roger Waters didn't write Dark Side of the Moon from an asylum, but rather in response to the truck driver in Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking telling him to stick it where the sun don't shine....

...but I digress....

As you can see, new members like me are pretty well versed in these sort of things and can indeed shed a "new light" on such discussions.

Thank you for your warm welcomes. :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I wonder if a lot of other forums have found a strong decrease in activity since social networking really took off...