Revive this forum time!

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Revive this forum time!

Post by jambo »

I frequent a few other forums and to be honest I don't think social networking has negatively affected them at all. If anything it's the opposite, with a lot of people getting news and rumours from Twitter and Facebook and posting them on the forums to start discussions.

I think it's more that there hasn't really been a tonne of Pink Floyd activity when you compare it to what it was like 5 or 6 years ago. We had the reunion at LIVE8, the bootleg torrent tracker, David Gilmour releasing a new album and then touring around Europe and North America, as well as the Pulse DVD finally coming out and a few other things.

All that we've had in the last couple of years is rumours of the WYWH SACD and Roger Waters touring old material.

However, I think there will be a large spike in forum activity as the premiere of the "Why Pink Floyd?" releases draws near. I know I'll definitely be sticking around to have a good chat about what I think of the new releases.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

A spike in forum activity is a given I am sure. There is so little to talk about that hasn't already been explored that people will gobble up the opportunity to talk about something new.

I think it is possible, though, to engage in new conversations about old topics without it being stale or boring. There are enough new people here and, according to some of the past threads I have read, there has been quite a bit of turnover, i.e., old members not posting anymore.

I believe that revival of this forum is very possible if people pull together and find creative ways to reinvigorate conversations and discussions about Floyd related stuff, no matter how old the topics. I believe that if people see that example and compare it to the other forums that contain a lot of in-fighting and same-old-same-old chatter, they will be drawn here.

I do know that this place provides the most friendly vibe that I have ever seen on any forum, let along Pink Floyd ones. That also goes a long, long way.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, here is something that happened yesterday: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... =1&t=22996

This is mentioned on the AFG site by the Doctor:

"i have to say... i posted the same thing on Neptune Pink Floyd and they're completely just plain rude. The site owner seems to have a Napoleon complex or something and there is this one arrogant heckler... unbelievable.

I'm reminded why THIS IS THE BEST FORUM in the world for anything Pink Floyd. The reason being is simple... everyone here is respectful, kind and well... happy.

you all rock!"

This happened to rontoon on this forum a few years ago...and a few months ago Keith and Col had an exchange on the AFG site about the size of the community...

Still, there are a number of us who post on both forums.

Who knows? The internet is full of opinions.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

As far as I'm concerned, anyone here who was rude to The Doctor (if that's the one that did the PF podcasts) or Rontoon is a twat. And there are some complete twats here - generally (but not necessarily) identifiable by long posts. I could name names :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

nosaj wrote:Well, here is something that happened yesterday: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... =1&t=22996

This is mentioned on the AFG site by the Doctor...
BOOM rant editted. Sorry but I don't like the attitude that A Fleeting Glimpse is seen as a corner of the internet Floyd community. As far as I can see it is a poorly maintained and old fashioned looking site. I've never seen bootleg material being liberated from there, and I've never seen anything reported there that isn't all over other Floyd websites as it happens. It is just another site that seems to have a larger ego than most. I find it ironic that an Australian (not American, my bad) website is seen as being the place to go for info from His Holyness Col T regarding a British band. Sorry but a certain % of the psyche coming out of Floyd is a British phenomenon so I will always think Neptune is a better site, even if the grating irony can be a bit much for some of the more 'fantabulous' Floyd fans.
Last edited by my breakfast. on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

^^^ It's Australian. But, in any case, it can relate to Pink Floyd as well as any English site (I nearly said British, but that would include the possibility of Scottish PF sites, which is an absurd idea).
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Boom rage editted again. I get grumpy if I don't keep my blood sugar level high enough...

I would like to see what A Fleeting Glimpse has achieved... a few interview slots with Dave Kilminster?! I could write to the guitar mag he works for here and probably get emails from him personally. :?
Last edited by my breakfast. on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

nosaj wrote:Well, here is something that happened yesterday: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... =1&t=22996

This is mentioned on the AFG site by the Doctor:

"i have to say... i posted the same thing on Neptune Pink Floyd and they're completely just plain rude. The site owner seems to have a Napoleon complex or something and there is this one arrogant heckler... unbelievable.

I'm reminded why THIS IS THE BEST FORUM in the world for anything Pink Floyd. The reason being is simple... everyone here is respectful, kind and well... happy.

you all rock!"

This happened to rontoon on this forum a few years ago...and a few months ago Keith and Col had an exchange on the AFG site about the size of the community...

Still, there are a number of us who post on both forums.

Who knows? The internet is full of opinions.
I just found it quite odd that PF management said they were not giving any out because EMI didn't want to and there is a website sharing copyrighted material that has been made an exception to the rule. Its not rude, just fact finding.

Lets have less Col Turner bashing too. He is a good chap and puts lots of effort into his website. Its tough to maintain a website you know!!
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Keith Jordan wrote: Lets have less Col Turner bashing too. He is a good chap and puts lots of effort into his website. Its tough to maintain a website you know!!
You know...Col T thinks he is the perfect PF fan and if you don´t agree with all his opinions, you might get banned from his website.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Only ONE arrogant heckler? :smt017
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Without intention of sucking up to anyone, I must state that I've been a Pink Floyd fan for over 15 years now and that this is the only Pink Floyd forum I ever posted on and the only fan managed Pink Floyd website I've visited more than three times overall, mostly because it's well organized and doesn't look absolutely dreadful and the forum is a lovely place with a lot of nice people. Yes, some of us can occasionally be real dicks, but isn't it how it's like in the real world as well? A forum full of polite poltroons where everybody agrees with everyone would be boring as hell, IMHO.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Hudini wrote:Without intention of sucking up to anyone, I must state that I've been a Pink Floyd fan for over 15 years now and that this is the only Pink Floyd forum I ever posted on and the only fan managed Pink Floyd website I've visited more than three times overall, mostly because it's well organized and doesn't look absolutely dreadful and the forum is a lovely place with a lot of nice people. Yes, some of us can occasionally be real dicks, but isn't it how it's like in the real world as well? A forum full of polite poltroons where everybody agrees with everyone would be boring as hell, IMHO.
I concur.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Duckboy wrote:
Hudini wrote:Without intention of sucking up to anyone, I must state that I've been a Pink Floyd fan for over 15 years now and that this is the only Pink Floyd forum I ever posted on and the only fan managed Pink Floyd website I've visited more than three times overall, mostly because it's well organized and doesn't look absolutely dreadful and the forum is a lovely place with a lot of nice people. Yes, some of us can occasionally be real dicks, but isn't it how it's like in the real world as well? A forum full of polite poltroons where everybody agrees with everyone would be boring as hell, IMHO.
I concur.
Stop sucking up to Hudini
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

thefinalcut wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote: Lets have less Col Turner bashing too. He is a good chap and puts lots of effort into his website. Its tough to maintain a website you know!!
You know...Col T thinks he is the perfect PF fan and if you don´t agree with all his opinions, you might get banned from his website.
Agreed. Everybody must be telling him he is the ultimate fan because he's been one since the very beginning of Floyd. Which is, indeed, respectful, but does not give him any additional rights.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

moom wrote:
thefinalcut wrote: Agreed. Everybody must be telling him he is the ultimate fan because he's been one since the very beginning of Floyd. Which is, indeed, respectful, but does not give him any additional rights.
I just can't get over how that spinning cube isn't a cube. I keep looking at it but looking at it will not change it.