When did you first go on the internet and what did you do?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Re: When did you first go on the internet and what did you d

Post by pastchristmas »

It was about 1996 for me. A friend of mine had a computer with AOL installed and he dialed it up for me. I spent some time navigating around AOL but had no clue about search engines or anything like that. I thought it was like a telephone and that you could only access web pages by manually entering the addresses into the bar, so I did not view any web pages outside of the AOL network. A year later, in college, one of my classes featured some basic instructions on how to use the Internet, at which time I learned the meat and potatoes of how to locate things.

It has now become a wellspring of information for me, an indispensable learning tool and enhancer of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for years now.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I thought it quite amusing that AOL tried to "contain" the internet within its own platform in the early days of the internet! I found that rather disturbing in the late 90s when I myself was using AOL in the UK. SCUM! Apple have taken over from them doing that sort of shit.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

Keith Jordan wrote:I thought it quite amusing that AOL tried to "contain" the internet within its own platform in the early days of the internet! I found that rather disturbing in the late 90s when I myself was using AOL in the UK. SCUM! Apple have taken over from them doing that sort of shit.
Unfortunately it took me several years of using AOL before I discovered some shady practices there, including what you mentioned. The provider I use now has been known to censor some things from time to time and I find that to be a bunch of *EXPLETIVE DELETED* nonsense.

See what I mean? *EXPLETIVE DELETED*

](*,)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

There was a time when you couldn't buy a magazine without an AOL CD falling out of it. I'd love to know just how many CDs they had made up back in the day. They're probably responsible for global warming.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I was mid 90s also. Would've been about 6-7 years old and my father got a work PC to use at home as part of his contract, Internet connection too.

I'm pretty sure I just surfed randomly around, most of the time looking at sites for video games.