Wish You Were Here Immersion Edition Discussion

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Wish You Were Here Immersion Edition Discussion

Post by danielcaux »

The problem with the Genesis boxsets is that for some reason neither uses the original album mixes, all of them are remixes :roll:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I got the Magritte reference Daniel (esp since the image is so typically Magritte-ish, Storm is obviously a Magritte fan), but had not figured out the logic that Magrittes statement is true (while seemingly false) but Storms is just plain false
good insight

question:
what do folks who've never listened to the bootlegs think of these protypical version of Shine On, Sheep and Dogs?
Id love to read a review from one whos just hearing these for the first time
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Hopefully, mine have arrived when I come home from work!
Don't remember these song specifically, but I'll tell you later, J Ed!
GnollinZ
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GnollinZ »

danielcaux wrote:
GnollinZ wrote:I'm annoyed the cover art on the box isn't the handshake picture. Why use the rear cover art?
Because it's more visually interesting perhaps? Who wants to see the handshake logo inserted in a huge black background when you can look at a huge invisible man or even the burning man instead? Good choice IMO.

Although I would have photoshoped there a copy of the Immersion boxset intead of the suitcase! :twisted:
I don't agree that it's more visually interesting. At a glance perhaps, but the burning man cover art is visually striking, distinctive and would have looked great on display ;)
NUMBER61
Axe
Axe

Post by NUMBER61 »

davidjay wrote:in regards to my other thread concerning the collector's cards. can some who already has this set tell me what cards come with it? i'm in the US so mine hasn't arrived yet.

mine has;
NUMBER61
Axe
Axe

Post by NUMBER61 »

But indeed Storm is missing completely the point of the original, since that one wasn't actually a pipe, but rather a painting of a pipe. This one is indeed a box.
[/quote]

i believe "boite" ("box") also translates as "bin",
whatever it is, as it cannot be both,
it must be one and not the other.
Sordel
Axe
Axe

Post by Sordel »

danielcaux wrote:The problem with the Genesis boxsets is that for some reason neither uses the original album mixes, all of them are remixes :roll:
I understand that they are also mastered very hot: basically I was not going to fork out for compressed versions of the Genesis albums and will wait until they do an audiophile version (which won't be long if this super-deluxe bandwagon keeps rolling!)

I think that there's a certain amount of purchase repentance involved in the Immersion boxed sets. I skipped them and got the Achtung Baby super-deluxe instead (and Quadrophenia coming up) but - even though you know in your heart of hearts that it can't possibly be worth the money. I suspect that Immersion owners have gone into a self-protective huddle wrapped up in their scarves. :lol:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Sordel wrote: Achtung Baby super-deluxe instead
Yet another that's on my ever lengthening list. Need that lottery win soon :D
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Sordel wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The problem with the Genesis boxsets is that for some reason neither uses the original album mixes, all of them are remixes :roll:
I understand that they are also mastered very hot: basically I was not going to fork out for compressed versions of the Genesis albums and will wait until they do an audiophile version (which won't be long if this super-deluxe bandwagon keeps rolling!)

I think that there's a certain amount of purchase repentance involved in the Immersion boxed sets. I skipped them and got the Achtung Baby super-deluxe instead (and Quadrophenia coming up) but - even though you know in your heart of hearts that it can't possibly be worth the money. I suspect that Immersion owners have gone into a self-protective huddle wrapped up in their scarves. :lol:
So they say. I wouldnt buy them for the stereo version. I got then for the SACD which is not compressed and 5 channels of course. The definitive 1992 remasters are the best thing for normal listening so there is no need to wait until they re-master them again :D
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Meandthem wrote:Hopefully, mine have arrived when I come home from work!
Whoa, whoa, wait a minute Mr. Postman
I've waited so patiently
Please check and see just one more time
If it's in your bag for me!

Thanx Mr. Postman...
Don't wait and see
The box has fine'ly come right home to me
'Cause I've been waitin' for such a long time
To immerse in this box of mine!
:D

Edit: BIG, big hugs and excuses to the Marvelettes for manhandling the lyrics!!!
Last edited by Meandthem on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

Just listening to the Wembley live version of "Shine On". I don't know why Waters insisted on singing it. Gilmour does it infinitely better. Someone should have told good ol' Rog to just shut up and stick to writing...

Sorry, I know that it's harsh, but Gilmour is a far superior singer.

V.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

NUMBER61 wrote:
davidjay wrote:in regards to my other thread concerning the collector's cards. can some who already has this set tell me what cards come with it? i'm in the US so mine hasn't arrived yet.

mine has;
ok thanks. i'm presuming they all have the same ones. mine should arrive in a few days!
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

crowman wrote:Picked up my Experience version today. I can echo the comment above, Gotta Be Crazy is amazing, as are Shine On and Raving and Drooling. Many of us will have heard the 74 shows in bootleg form, but these tracks are something very special indeed. Rick's "See Emily Play" lament at the end of Shine On has never sounded so beautiful.
I have had two of the four nights of the Wembley run in my collection for many years, but these versions seem to differ radically from both. Amazing what technology can do. Especially the clarity of the vocals on the last verse of Gotta Be Crazy.

Indeed, we now have an almost total recreation of one of those shows, barring the Echoes encore of course.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Zack wrote:Amazing what technology can do. Especially the clarity of the vocals on the last verse of Gotta Be Crazy.
Yes, amazing, the problem is that now we are left wishing for this same treatment to a lot more of their ealy live stuff !! Imagine listening to the Man And The Journey, The Amazing Pudding, their trademark space-rock set or a live 1977 Pigs 3DO and Pigs On The Wing Part 2 with Snowy's guitar solo in THIS quality! =P~ [-o<

They gotta have more multi-track recordings than just this one.
jambo wrote:I just realised that I can take the 3 live tracks from the WYWH box set and play them before the live set of DSotM and have almost a complete official 1974 concert.
Almost, yes. Although it would be more like an official "best of" the 1974 Wembley nights, not just a single concert. But that's how Floyd do things anyway, same thing happened with The Wall Live.

Jambo, I'm curious, do the Wembley songs from Disc 2 of WYWH "flow" nicely from one to the next? Or do they have abrupt cuts or fade outs between?
spectrum one
Embryo
Embryo

Post by spectrum one »

After forking out for DSOTM Immersion , although a splendid thing that it is, the kitty had run dry so I settled for WYWH Experience.

Thrilled to bits with it . Absolutely love disc 2 , especially "You Gotta Be Crazy" One happy punter <ii>