1990 - The Wall Live in Berlin Performance

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 1990 - The Wall Live in Berlin Performance

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

...can you repeat the question? It was cut from the original album as they shuffled things around to make it all fit within the four sides of a double vinyl album; the sleeves were already printed, so they included the lyrics to "What Shall We Do Now?" They needed the longer version for the live performances in order for the crew to finish building the wall across the stage in the first half, helped along with a few extra guitar solos and even an instrumental break leading into "Goodbye Cruel World".
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

battra wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:56 pmI mean, I knew it...but it wasn't ON THE WALL...
Lyric for "What Shall We Do Now?" is printed on The Wall album cover. They omitted that song in the last minute, but they did not have a time to change the whole akbum cover.

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Roger, discussing the album song-by-song with Tommy Vance in 1979:

TV: ...And then comes the track “What Shall We Do Now.” The assumption this would be when the emergent adult…

RW: That’s right. Now that’s the track that’s not on the album. It was quite nice! In fact I think we’ll do it in the show. But it’s quite long, and this side was too long, and there was too much of it, it’s basically the same as “Empty Spaces” and we’ve put “Empty Spaces” where “What Shall We Do Now” is.

TV: Because without those words listening to the album….

RW: Yeah it makes less sense.

TV: Well it’s not so much that it makes less sense it just means that there’s a period in Pink’s life that isn’t indicated. I mean he jumps from the recap of side one immediately into “Young lust.”

RW: Right. No, he doesn’t, he goes into “Empty Spaces” and the lyrics there are very similar to the first four lines of “What Shall We Do Now?” But what’s different really is this list - “shall we buy a new guitar, drive a more powerful car, work right through the night,” you know, and all that stuff.

TV: “Give up meat, rarely sleep, keep people as pets.”

RW: Right. It’s just about the ways that one protects oneself from one’s isolation by becoming obsessed with other people’s ideas. Whether the idea is that it’s good to drive…have a powerful car, you know, or whether you’re obsessed with the idea of being a vegetarian…adopting somebody else’s criteria for yourself. Without considering them from a position of really being yourself; on this level the story is extremely simplistic, I hope that on other levels there are less tangible, more effective things that come through. I think it’s ok in a show, where you only hear the words, you probably won’t hear the words at all the way rock and roll shows get produced.

TV: But they’re there obviously if you need them?

RW: Yeah. That’s why we didn’t go into a great panic about trying to change all the inner bags and things, I think it’s important that they’re there so that people can read them. Equally I think it’s important that people know why they’re there, otherwise I agree it’s terribly confusing.
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

For all the posts about this album and concert, no one noticed that The Show Must Go On was missing from the track listing, I suppose it was mainly a Gilmour vocal on the original album and ITAOT which Adams could've easily covered too. Oddly enough this along with Hey You was missing from the Wall film.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

shoutinyoursleep wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm For all the posts about this album and concert, no one noticed that The Show Must Go On was missing from the track listing
Maybe he felt it was a little superfluous? I mean the movie proves the album works pretty well without it.