Pink Floyd The Wall Immersion Edition 2012

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Are you getting The Wall Immersion Edition?

Yes
30%
No
39%
Maybe
29%
Don't Know
2%

Total votes: 56

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Immersion Edition 2012

Post by snifferdog »

I'd love to know if they ever did make much of an effort to enhance the original concert footage. Although today's technology can't work miracles on footage that's not great in the first place, I wonder how well it would have come up?
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

no idea who thought it would be a good idea to put an albumthey have already released as one of the bonus discs, well two as it's a double album.

Had they run of steam by the time they got round to The Wall Immersion set ?

Would have preferred a boot from another night, or at least something different to the album i've already got
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

True. I'm thinking as well about Nick Mason's comment that Roger's demos always sounded terrible!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I wonder if there are lots of nice photos of the recording sessions and the Earls Court back stage in the large booklet? We will have to wait and see.

You will notice on the Why Pink Floyd website that there is no exploded packshot as with WYWH and DSotM. This is because there have been changes made and they are awaiting another photograph which I should have on 9th Jan or there abouts. Now I don't know what the change is but I cannot imagine it was just aesthetics, it surly is something to do with content. I hope so. Perhaps they are including The Wall by Roger Waters 2011 with David and Nick in London with it. I can only hope of course. 8)
whackystrings
Axe
Axe

Post by whackystrings »

To me, the album - not the film, not the demos, not the performance - is something I dearly love. I enjoy the superb studio production. Makes up for the sometimes 'meh' linking tunes.
Without the 5.1 version, there is very little value in it for me to get the Immersion box. Shame. I love the WYWH and TDSOTM boxes.
The nasty thing is, my inner Floyd will call to me and make me order the Immersion box anyways.
Sigh.
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

The DSOTM and WYWH immersion boxes had multiple things going for them:
  • high resolution audio
  • surround sound mixes
  • previously unreleased live material
  • previously unreleased studio material
  • video content
The Wall immersion box lacks the first three and to me the last two are the least important. Unless something changes, I just don't see getting it.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote:It is very disappointing that there is no 5.1 mix available.
Maybe they don't have all the tapes on one place? 'The Wall' was recorded in various countries. 'Atom', 'Dark' and 'Wish' were recorded mostly at Abbey Road.
In 1979/1980, quadrophonia had flopped and so there wasn't a reason to think of such a mix.
whackystrings
Axe
Axe

Post by whackystrings »

Wolfpack wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:It is very disappointing that there is no 5.1 mix available.
Maybe they don't have all the tapes on one place? 'The Wall' was recorded in various countries. 'Atom', 'Dark' and 'Wish' were recorded mostly at Abbey Road.
In 1979/1980, quadrophonia had flopped and so there wasn't a reason to think of such a mix.
Is Pink Floyd's The Wall Immersion edition going to have a 5.1 Surround Mix?
James: My understanding is that EMI plan to stick to their release schedule for the 'Why Pink Floyd?' campaign, which means there wouldn't be time to include a 5.1 mix in 'The Wall' Immersion Box. I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet. The original multitrack tapes are in pretty bad shape, so the project will take some time. I'm currently working on a Blu-ray release of 'The Wall' Movie.

(source: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/albums/pi ... es-gu.html )
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

I'm still not sure what's on this new edition. I mean, are we finally going to get:

- The studio version of "What Shall We Do Now"?
- The film versions of songs, such as "Mother"
- The Bob Geldof-sung versions that were used in the film? (He sang the two "In the Flesh" versions...)
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

sherer wrote:no idea who thought it would be a good idea to put an albumthey have already released as one of the bonus discs, well two as it's a double album.

Had they run of steam by the time they got round to The Wall Immersion set ?

Would have preferred a boot from another night, or at least something different to the album i've already got
Yeah, that's what I want. Complete concerts, and from different eras. I love the live versions of "Grantchester Meadows," "Cymbaline," "Embryo" and others from that period. I love certain live versions of "Welcome to the Machine" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" (a different version from the one released on WYWH, although that's great too). There's a bootlegged version of "Echoes" that features saxophone that I'd love to hear in great quality.

Besides the concerts series, there should be an outtakes series. You know, collect all those rarities on different discs: the Household Objects songs, Pigs on the Wing (with Snowy White's guitar solo), the studio version of "What Shall We Do Now," versions from "THe Wall" film (such as "Mother" and the Geldof-sung "In the Flesh"), Waters' demo of "Money," and alternate version of "Wish You Were Here" and "Have a Cigar," etc etc. AND I'M CERTAIN the band must have recorded early versions of "You Gotta Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling" in the studio during the WYWH sessions. Let's hear 'em.

The way they are doing it is the way *not* to do it, IMHO.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

petediscrete wrote:Next thing you know they will release Pink Floyd box set in 24.1 Super Douper Dolby complete with holograms so you can have the Floyd in your living room playing for you while you have your scarf around your neck playing with you marbles while drinking your beer off your coasters.
I don't need a boxed set and holograms for that. :lol:
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Releasing a remastered ITAOT in the Immersion set isn't a bad idea. NOT releasing it individually is, seeing as it was originally an individual release.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's true. Sticking it into the Immersion box set is something of a lazy way out, isn't it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

How many of you own Is There Anybody Out There though? Perhaps sales of it were not that good so they figured most people don't own it so putting it in the Immersion Boxset would be a good idea perhaps. I don't know.

Either way, it is a good live recording to listen to. 8)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's a good question :) I own a copy but more because it was going cheap in a sale in HMV... I do like it though