Pink Floyd The Wall Immersion Edition 2012

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Are you getting The Wall Immersion Edition?

Yes
30%
No
39%
Maybe
29%
Don't Know
2%

Total votes: 56

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Immersion Edition 2012

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am looking forward to seeing the video of the original Wall being performed. Is it possible that Roger used some of this Wall video to project onto the wall in his recent Wall tour? Was it during Mother that he played along with himself from the 1980s recording? Anyway, looking forward to seeing what clips are in the box set. Not sure what to expect of the video quality so, setting my expectations low, I could be in for a treat!
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Keith Jordan wrote:Was it during Mother that he played along with himself from the 1980s recording?
Yes but that footage was from a single camera on Roger and was heavily treated with video FX making it appear b/w and with a lot of contrast.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Well if I set my expectations by the quite poor standard of that video, I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised with the boxset video! ;-)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised with the boxset video! ;-)
Yes of course, what I fear is that said boxset video is the only thing from that film that we are ever going to see in official "restored" quality. That would be extremely sad for us Wall fans.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

From what I've been told, the full original concert will be released. I'm assuming this will happen only once Roger is finished touring The Wall.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That would be great! 8) I shall look forward to seeing that. Shame I was born in December 1981 and missed the opportunity of seeing it live first time round. ](*,)
Welcome2TheMachine
Axe
Axe

Post by Welcome2TheMachine »

<ii> Woohoo!, I just found the 1978 demo version of Young Lust that is going to be on The Wall Immersion Set!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-flo ... ng-review/
One secret revealed on the Pink Floyd Immersion Edition of ‘The Wall’ box set is that the original recording of ‘Young Lust’ was a smooth and sultry blues tune, instead of the edgy, guitar-and-drum driven sexual liberation anthem fans have come to love.

“Standing away from those desperate days / Leaving a trail of fear and degradation,”

“Deep down next to his heart on the inside / Hugging in his cheap leather jacket (unintelligible).” The band definitely made the right choice as to which version to include on the original 1979 album, but the newly revealed demo version is a fascinating listen that adds depth to a story that isn’t completely understood without visual aid.

In short, Pink Floyd traded bluesy psychedelia for a menacing rock song. It was the better deal then, but it’s more than interesting to see how the song progressed through various stages.

‘The Wall’ Immersion Edition will be available on Feb. 28.

Go down to the bottom of the news story and click the green play button.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Thanks for the link! <ii>
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Nice demo!!!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

siderealxxx wrote:The main reason I was hoping to get this was for the DVD footage of the 80-81 show... but here it is in its entirety:

80-81: The Happiest Days Of Our Live, Pink Floyd The Wall - Earls Court, 1980

One song. Thats it. If they're holding some of it back for something better then fair enough, but if ever there was an opportunity...
I think that they're holding the footage back because it's too inferior to be an official Pink Floyd product. The film quality is too dark and too distant. Seeing the footage gives me the wrong impression: "Was that all?" I think Roger Waters's current tour version does far more justice to the original idea.
The original tour worked in the early 1980s, but it wouldn't work as much today. The average customer who sees Waters's version, won't bother about an ancient, dark footage film of a film being projected on a huge cardboard wall. The footage reminds me of Barrett's Pink Floyd standing in front of a huge white curtain being used as screen. Impressive for those days, but not really of much interest for Pink Floyd's market. Pink Floyd is an aesthetic group, so don't expect much dusty or sloppy material. No matter how interesting it is for collectors.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Wolfpack wrote:
siderealxxx wrote:The main reason I was hoping to get this was for the DVD footage of the 80-81 show... but here it is in its entirety:

80-81: The Happiest Days Of Our Live, Pink Floyd The Wall - Earls Court, 1980

One song. Thats it. If they're holding some of it back for something better then fair enough, but if ever there was an opportunity...
I think that they're holding the footage back because it's too inferior to be an official Pink Floyd product. The film quality is too dark and too distant. Seeing the footage gives me the wrong impression: "Was that all?" I think Roger Waters's current tour version does far more justice to the original idea.
The original tour worked in the early 1980s, but it wouldn't work as much today. The average customer who sees Waters's version, won't bother about an ancient, dark footage film of a film being projected on a huge cardboard wall. The footage reminds me of Barrett's Pink Floyd standing in front of a huge white curtain being used as screen. Impressive for those days, but not really of much interest for Pink Floyd's market. Pink Floyd is an aesthetic group, so don't expect much dusty or sloppy material. No matter how interesting it is for collectors.
The music is better though, isnt it?!! and although that is available its always good to have the option to see the band playing than not, even if the quality is not that good.
Roger's recent production is far far better in technical terms and in the filming of but remember they sent them along as a surrogate band.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I may be boasting a bit here but EMI have given me access to their pre-release music platform so I may listen to The Wall Immersion boxset discs 3-6. 8) In a way I don't want to spoil my unboxing ceremony with the immersion boxset but, on the other hand, I am curious as to the quality of these demos. So... here goes.... 8)
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Keith Jordan wrote:I may be boasting a bit here but EMI have given me access to their pre-release music platform so I may listen to The Wall Immersion boxset discs 3-6. 8) In a way I don't want to spoil my unboxing ceremony with the immersion boxset but, on the other hand, I am curious as to the quality of these demos. So... here goes.... 8)
As you have the ear of EMI Keith, you could ask them what thet think of the fact that twice as many people think no or maybe on the pole here than yes! Last ditch attempt to delay release until they have a 5.1 version. ](*,)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I'm afraid it is full steam ahead for 27th in UK and 28th Feb ROW and perhaps the week before in some places like Australia.

When is the release in Australia?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:I may be boasting a bit here but EMI have given me access to their pre-release music platform so I may listen to The Wall Immersion boxset discs 3-6. 8) In a way I don't want to spoil my unboxing ceremony with the immersion boxset but, on the other hand, I am curious as to the quality of these demos. So... here goes.... 8)
We expect a prompt report of your findings. :D