New David Gilmour album!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New David Gilmour album!

Post by snifferdog »

I've mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's always nice to hear something new from a Pink Floyd person. We get so little of it these days. On the other, would we be lining ourselves up for more disappointment? On an Island really was underwhelming. At times the songs just seemed to be like vehicles for another Gilmour guitar solo
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New album!

Post by nosaj »

Enish wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:Dave's first two solo albums didn't include Wright, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Not disrespecting or doubting Wrights talent if he were still here. Just saying.
Yes, but that was at a different time in his life. For the past decade up until Wright's death, Gilmour was creating a close partnership with him through the On an Island album and tour. They were probably closer then than they were when Wright became a member of Pink Floyd again. I wouldn't have been surprised if they collaborated on an album together. Gilmour looked broken during his live performance of "Remember a Day" and it looked like it would have taken him longer that it has for him to finally work on some new material.
Actually, I think Richard had very little involvement with the On an Island album recording. He may have appeared on only one or two songs...I think.

Still, a new album from Gilmour would be nice...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Gilmour interview from 2008 with Mark Blake...

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... -interview

MB: What are the chances of another David Gilmour album?

DG: I undoubtedly will make another record. I'm not ready to retire. There's tons of stuff left over from On An Island. I just write and jot down ideas and one of these days I'll sit down again and have a listen.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

I really wonder what kind of album could be done next, from him. It seemed to me like OAI would be a great ending to a solo career, or at least to his. I mean, it seems that musically and visually, OAI would be as simple as it gets. I wouldn't want him to feel pressured into releasing another album, but what else could possibly be released?

What could the album's theme be (if any)? What would the album cover look like? Just thinking about all of this gets me excited, and I really hope it isn't too long before we get any more information.
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

TheFloydian1 wrote:I really wonder what kind of album could be done next, from him. It seemed to me like OAI would be a great ending to a solo career, or at least to his. I mean, it seems that musically and visually, OAI would be as simple as it gets. I wouldn't want him to feel pressured into releasing another album, but what else could possibly be released?

What could the album's theme be (if any)? What would the album cover look like? Just thinking about all of this gets me excited, and I really hope it isn't too long before we get any more information.
Sometimes I feel Roger and David get too caught up in the whole concept album tag. Why does there even have to be a theme. I'd rather 10 very good seperate songs than 15 songs linked together that are very weak. I'm sure this is what is holding up Roger
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

sherer wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:I really wonder what kind of album could be done next, from him. It seemed to me like OAI would be a great ending to a solo career, or at least to his. I mean, it seems that musically and visually, OAI would be as simple as it gets. I wouldn't want him to feel pressured into releasing another album, but what else could possibly be released?

Sometimes I feel Roger and David get too caught up in the whole concept album tag. Why does there even have to be a theme. I'd rather 10 very good seperate songs than 15 songs linked together that are very weak. I'm sure this is what is holding up Roger
I've always been under the impression that every album tells a story, even if it doesn't have a specific theme or narrative linked to it. It frames a specific point in time and the thoughts and feelings of the musicians recording it. The story could even come from the kind of sound that the album has. In that sense, I'd say that Saucerful and AMLOR both tell their own stories, but what they are is up for the listener to decide.

In the case of Waters and Gilmour, Waters is probably too busy with his Wall tour to work on whatever ideas he has for his albums. Gilmour doesn't have anything major going on, so he can put whatever energy he hasn't spent on his family into his new project.

But I will agree that Waters' concern over what the album should be about is probably one major reason why he didn't finish his project before conceiving the Wall world tour.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I misread "undoubtedly" as "doubtedly" for a second! 8-[ Good to hear that he's been working on some new material, albeit at a slow pace. This interview plus the fact that Polly Samson admitted to writing lyrics for her husband is really making the pieces of this mystery come together. Now it's only a matter of time before Gilmour actually makes an official announcement about it and not "A spokesman of the band".

Whatever he comes out with, I'm definitely going to buy it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Some info here > http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27356
According to information I had thanks to a French friend from the PF French forum, Gilmour is currently recording is new solo album in the South of France. Phil Manzanera is involved, as well as drummer Claude Salmieri.
Studio he is reported to be at recording Studios La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy de Provence....

Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Beautiful studio. Reminds me of The Astoria a little. I'm guessing Phil Manzanera is helping him produce the album, since Polly Samson seems to be on lyrical duty.

This is all so tantalizing...bring on the album and tour! :smt038
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Keith Jordan wrote:Some info here > http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27356
According to information I had thanks to a French friend from the PF French forum, Gilmour is currently recording is new solo album in the South of France. Phil Manzanera is involved, as well as drummer Claude Salmieri.
Studio he is reported to be at recording Studios La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy de Provence....
UPDATE:

"The information is rubbish. He's not in any studio with anybody and there will not be a tour without an album." -Paul Loasby

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27356

3/4 down page.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I wonder where the poster got that quote from. Article? E-mail? Phone call? A source might be helpful and a little reassuring.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Enish wrote:I wonder where the poster got that quote from. Article? E-mail? Phone call? A source might be helpful and a little reassuring.
Um, well, on another forum, the forum owner asked Gilmour management.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

nosaj wrote:Um, well, on another forum, the forum owner asked Gilmour management.
Oh, I see then. So the info just traveled through a series of networks.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Keith Jordan wrote:Some info here > http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27356

A studio with a range of monitor playback speakers?! Serious business.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

A studio with a range of monitor playback speakers?! Serious business.