New David Gilmour album!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: New David Gilmour album!

Post by moom »

Yes, it was Waters who started the band.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

It was? But we can trace the origin of the band to Sigma-6, which was founded in London Poly in the winter 1962-63, by Keith Noble and Clive Metcalfe. They recruited their school colleagues, Waters, Wright and Mason, Noble's sister and Juliette Gale. However, they sort of abandoned the three losers (as Metcalfe put it many years later) after a rather short period. Perhaps it was Waters that encouraged his fellow "losers" to carry on. Anyway, they recruited Mike Leonard, which had a big apartment where they could rehearse (and the band's name became Leonard's Lodgers for a while). Bob Klose and Barrett then joined the band (which by then had got the name Tea Set) in the autumn 1964. By that time Leonard had left the group.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Disagree about Floyd fans tuning their nose up at "Yellow dress" being closed minded. I'm all for musicians trying something new, but it has to be quality and worthwhile, I think a lot of us dislike Yellow Dress because it's boring and very generic as far as jazz rhythm's go, add to that if has very cliched lyrics. Nothing to do with being closed minded.

Syd was a very influential figure and might have started the ball rolling, but for me he wasn't THAT good of a songwriter, not saying he wasn't a good songwriter, just not to that level. And as we know, when someone dies or goes off the rails it tends to enhance their reputation.

Wish You Were Here is about as close to a perfect song as there is. In saying that it depends how you look at it, if we're talking lyrically then Dylan's written several better songs. For the complete package WYWH is wonderful though

And I thought Roger touring an old album 40 years later was more to do with him being unable to come up with anything fresh than being a genius. Okay so that might not be completely fair but I thought it would be funny because we know if it were Gilmour and not Waters doing that, that's pretty much exactly what flathead would have said.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Flathead wrote: Genesis and Dire Straits are terrible.
When I listen to ''Supper's ready'' or ''Firth of Fifth'' I just can't judge it being inferior to WYWH... For Dire Strait it's all about the live version of ''Sultans of Swings''.

Don't take me wrong I like WYWH, it's probably the most accessible song of PF catalog but it still mostly a 4 chords acoustic song. Also who really wrote this song (the music?) We know David found the opening riff, but Waters said he wrote all the rest alone while David said they wrote it together...
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: And I thought Roger touring an old album 40 years later was more to do with him being unable to come up with anything fresh than being a genius. Okay so that might not be completely fair but I thought it would be funny because we know if it were Gilmour and not Waters doing that, that's pretty much exactly what flathead would have said.

No. The point is that maybe, *maybe* Paul McCartney could tour just Abbey Road and become the highest grossing solo act of all time.

What The Wall's record-breaking run meant is that The Wall (and thus Water's 70's songwriting) really has no peer in terms of relevancy and longevity 40 years later.

It is, for all intents and purposes, a Wagnerian achievement for art to endure like this.

Dylan (as much as I love him) could not tour Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks and fill stadium after stadium.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Follix wrote: When I listen to ''Supper's ready'' or ''Firth of Fifth'' I just can't judge it being inferior to WYWH... For Dire Strait it's all about the live version of ''Sultans of Swings''.
They are inferior, and the most accurate music snobs on the internet concur. Dire Straits is a decent band (terrible is a bit harsh) but they don't belong in the same breath as pioneers like Pink Floyd. None of their albums place in the top 1000 all time at Rate Your Music, while Floyd has five in the top 100.

Early Genesis has several albums in the top 500, which is actually quite good:

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

Floyd has 2 in the top 10.

They really shouldn't be mentioned with Genesis or the Straits.

Don't take me wrong I like WYWH, it's probably the most accessible song of PF catalog but it still mostly a 4 chords acoustic song. Also who really wrote this song (the music?) We know David found the opening riff, but Waters said he wrote all the rest alone while David said they wrote it together...
Since Waters wrote most of their songs, I'd have to go with track record. Dave added the beauty.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

^ Not talking about whole catalog just a single song being better... Pink Floyd is by far my favorite band, that doesn't mean I prefer all their songs over everything else.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:They really shouldn't be mentioned with Genesis or the Straits.
Pink Floyd, Genesis and Dire Straits are three completely different genres that kind of overlap in places, so people who have no clue about either think they can compare. Neither song by any of the mentioned bands is better than the entire catalog of another but there are quite a few tracks by one of the bands that are better than some by another band. If you need any more clarification than you haven't heard enough of Genesis and/or Dire Straits.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

or when in doubt, check rateyourmusic. who needs their own opinion.? the herd is always right (said the sheep). Roger is now Wagner. sigh.

also, basically what kjek said. except that I wasn't aware that WYWH was the perfect floyd song (?). to me it's a good tune, hence why it gets radio play, but so does justin bieber. back to the songwriter rant, if you will. wasn't it just about the only song they wrote the lyrics first for too? surely, there are other tunes that represent their art better (I propose shine on or marooned, but marooned leaves the lyrics out). likely, whatever rateyourmusic has at the top is th best song, what am I talking about.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

raisemyrent wrote:wasn't it just about the only song they wrote the lyrics first for too?
'Sorrow' is another.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

brell wrote:It was? But we can trace the origin of the band to Sigma-6, which was founded in London Poly in the winter 1962-63, by Keith Noble and Clive Metcalfe. They recruited their school colleagues, Waters, Wright and Mason, Noble's sister and Juliette Gale. However, they sort of abandoned the three losers (as Metcalfe put it many years later) after a rather short period. Perhaps it was Waters that encouraged his fellow "losers" to carry on. Anyway, they recruited Mike Leonard, which had a big apartment where they could rehearse (and the band's name became Leonard's Lodgers for a while). Bob Klose and Barrett then joined the band (which by then had got the name Tea Set) in the autumn 1964. By that time Leonard had left the group.
I vaguely remember reading about Syd coming to waters' place to apply for the band, no?
Is it the same Mike Leonard who later collaborated with David and, I think, Madonna?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

You're probably thinking of Pat Leonard of Madonna's fame. He also co-produced Amused to Death.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

According to Mason's Inside Out:

Bob Klose joined the band in September 1964. Although they were still rehearsing at Leonard's apartment at 39 Stanhope Gardens, he quit playing with them that autumn and the name changed to the Tea Set. Klose supplied the band with a new vocalist and frontman, Chris Dennis, who stayed with the band just for a month or so because his political views were very different from those of Waters and Mason (and propably Wright). Waters called an old friend from Cambridge and Barrett came to a rehearsal at Stanhope Gardens and said after hearing and old R&B: "Yeah, it sounded great, but I don't see what I would do in the band". Anyway, Dennis was kicked out (by Klose since he was the recruiter) and Barrett joined the band.

I do not know anything else about Mike Leonard.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

brell wrote:According to Mason's Inside Out:

Bob Klose joined the band in September 1964. Although they were still rehearsing at Leonard's apartment at 39 Stanhope Gardens, he quit playing with them that autumn and the name changed to the Tea Set. Klose supplied the band with a new vocalist and frontman, Chris Dennis, who stayed with the band just for a month or so because his political views were very different from those of Waters and Mason (and propably Wright). Waters called an old friend from Cambridge and Barrett came to a rehearsal at Stanhope Gardens and said after hearing and old R&B: "Yeah, it sounded great, but I don't see what I would do in the band". Anyway, Dennis was kicked out (by Klose since he was the recruiter) and Barrett joined the band.

I do not know anything else about Mike Leonard.
Yeah, I thought he was lending them a place to rehearse (hence the Leonard's Lodgers moniker) and provided them a homemade lighting rig. Never heard he once was playing music in the band.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

mastaflatch wrote:You're probably thinking of Pat Leonard of Madonna's fame. He also co-produced Amused to Death.
Ah.

Chris Dennis? Never heard of him. You learn something every day, it seems.