50 coolest people who've ever lived. Who's on your list?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 50 coolest people who've ever lived. Who's on your list?

Post by Flying pig437 »

my breakfast. wrote:
Flying pig437 wrote:Why should I care about that?
Because it might, in some way, temper your belief that Thatcher was a 'cool' person. Unless perhaps her fashion sense redeems herself in your eyes. Who knows.

As for Africa, I'm not sure if you are trying to catch me out or something because your wording is quite vague. At some point when the human population gets much larger, even the most liberal-minded and sustainably versed economist will have to throw up their hands and realise that it is perhaps unwise to try and get Africa to adopt a more Western outlook. The fact that more African children would survive their formative years is a nice bonus (as long as they don't spend their 20s waving AK47s around), but what we/you/they are basically saying is "we need to get Africa to reach a standard of living we achieved through 200+ years of messy industrial revolution.... but without the industrial revolution bit". If you go too far down that line you end up sounding imperialist.

The other analogy I can think of here is the last time I went to my parents' church. Instead of a "children's address" we were given a powerpoint presentation of "work" carried out in South America by tireless missionaries. It seemed that they were providing basic clothing and health provisions for the local jungle people, and as an (un)fortunate bi-product the native people were adopting christianity as their religion. Hopefully somebody documented their indigenous culture before they threw it on the village bonfire. Again it stunk of imperialism to my angsty young liberal nostrils, but who knows.
All that might be right but it doesn't adress my basic point. Do you think those people are in desperate need of charity? Do you think we shouldn't just neglect them? If so why are you and people who champion the poor whether it be in Africa or East Kilbride not doing all, literally, all you can to help? My point is if you don't then all your doing is what Thatcher did which is basically put your own self interest ahead of other people except she did it via a bit of dodgy political jiggery-pokery and your doing it by neglect. Thatcher's 'victims' vis a vis her econoomic policies whether it was miner steel workers or Scotish people think they deserved to be cared about or feel they've got a right to get angry when people like me say they couldn't give a shit about what Thatcher did to them...the fact they don't and didn't do more to help themselves and other people less fortunate than themselves imo proves they don't have a right to get angry about people being callous and indiffernt to what Thatcher did to them but they do and they hate people like me who think her complete and utter destruction of union power was laudable and did wonders for our country. She kicked the unions commie assses all over the place and they fjuckin' deserved it and I'm fuckin' glad she did!
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Thatcher was cringeworthy, end of story.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

rememberaday wrote:Thatcher was cringeworthy, end of story.
One healthy person in a basicaly civilised country spending time and money on what they want to do while other people are in desperate need of help and charity insulting another healthy person in a basicaly civilised country spending time and money on what they want to do while other people are in desperate need of help and charity!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Why do you keep saying that? Is this your stock phrase for everything? It isn't actually that clever.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

my breakfast. wrote:Why do you keep saying that? Is this your stock phrase for everything? It isn't actually that clever.
because people think they're not like people like Thatcher but in some ways...ways I loathe...they are. I don't critise healthy people in civilized countries spending time and money on luxury and leisure I critisie them for thinking they've got the moral authroity to hate Thatcher for her economic policies for being 'callous' and all that kinda thing when effectively they're just as callous. I'm not trying to be clever I'm just saying what i think. The fact it's disparaging people's moral worth or people who think they've got moral worth might make me unpopular or you might take issue with it but that's just the way the world seems to be to me. If you were in desperate need of help and vulnurable to being discarded like a piece of shit by society, which of course really does exist because we are all so self-sacrificing and always going out of our way to help other people aren' we?, then maybe you'd see people in the same way.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Tell me, Pig man, are you doing something for all those poor people? Are you part of the Poverty is History Foundation?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

rememberaday wrote:Tell me, Pig man, are you doing something for all those poor people? Are you part of the Poverty is History Foundation?
ON acc. of prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems I'm excused from having to justify my little bit of luxury and leisure.

Wheter or not I've got a right to loathe a 'society' who's callouseness and indifference and negation of the extent of my health problems has made me fear constantly for my life and makes me feel I'm one thin line away from destitution and being driven to suicide I don't know. I just loathe that 'society' and am taking it upon myself to undermine people in that society's moral worth. This is what most people do to the rich and powerful but the difference is when you're suffering from prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems even normal everyday people are rich and poweful and downright greedy in someways it has to be said and it makes me puke having to listen them, you...hating on people like Thatcher and bankers and Cheif executives bonuses just as much as those people make you puke.
ScribbleCharger
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ScribbleCharger »

Mee too,really cool peoples! :)
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Hey, pig man, if you're so near destitution, why not sell your computer or something? Why are you spending so much time in NPF? Or are you just a sore complainer who rants the same thing again and again?

Edit: Scribble Charger, welcome to the forum!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Flying pig437 wrote:She kicked the unions commie assses all over the place and they fjuckin' deserved it and I'm fuckin' glad she did!
This is what I'm trying to get at, yet you keep kicking out shit about your health or your beefs with society or whatever. You clearly have a problem with trade unions and have a general lean towards right-wing politics (lonely middle-aged men tend to for some reason). Now if you have worked a factory floor and think that the trade unions never represented you fairly then so be it. However I guess you never had a tyrant boss you felt powerless to stand up to, otherwise you would be moaning about it on this forum. Yes it seems the unions did, at times, have too much power. For example if a typesetter in a newspaper print works dropped their 'dye' then it was somebody else's job to pick it up, otherwise a union somewhere would kick up a fuss. I think that on their own unions can get a bit too wrangled, but when I worked for the Royal Mail I was really glad the CWU were there giving us an oposing view when the bosses came round and made us sign random documents that meant they could wheel out pay freezes or make us work more hours for dodgy overtime.

Flying pig437 wrote:ON acc. of prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems I'm excused from having to justify my little bit of luxury and leisure.
You are not excused from anything. You aren't owed a living because you cannot enjoy the quality of life you imagine healthy people to have. I could argue that you are just making excuses here. Mother Theresa probably battled worse mental and physical health problems and managed to work tirelessly with the most needy people. You appear to have a certain level of independance that many ill people are not granted.

Flying pig437 wrote:Wheter or not I've got a right to loathe a 'society' who's callouseness and indifference and negation of the extent of my health problems has made me fear constantly for my life and makes me feel I'm one thin line away from destitution and being driven to suicide I don't know. I just loathe that 'society' and am taking it upon myself to undermine people in that society's moral worth. This is what most people do to the rich and powerful but the difference is when you're suffering from prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems even normal everyday people are rich and poweful and downright greedy in someways it has to be said and it makes me puke having to listen them, you...hating on people like Thatcher and bankers and Cheif executives bonuses just as much as those people make you puke.

Nah your argument still doesn't stack up. Honestly you sound like my old stoner mates who smoked too much and never went outside enough. All melodrama and self pity.

My uncle had his leg amputated last year yet he enjoys a certain quality of life and has a lot of people looking out for him. It sounds like you don't. I don't think your painful mental and physical health issues are entirely to blame here either, or rather you have let them swamp you in a certain way. People are generally willing to help, but it sounds like your two vices are talking to prostitutes in the street or trying to crash AA meetings, and then you angrily rile against both parties when they don't blow enough smoke up your ass.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

my breakfast. wrote:
Flying pig437 wrote:She kicked the unions commie assses all over the place and they fjuckin' deserved it and I'm fuckin' glad she did!
This is what I'm trying to get at, yet you keep kicking out shit about your health or your beefs with society or whatever. You clearly have a problem with trade unions and have a general lean towards right-wing politics (lonely middle-aged men tend to for some reason). Now if you have worked a factory floor and think that the trade unions never represented you fairly then so be it. However I guess you never had a tyrant boss you felt powerless to stand up to, otherwise you would be moaning about it on this forum. Yes it seems the unions did, at times, have too much power. For example if a typesetter in a newspaper print works dropped their 'dye' then it was somebody else's job to pick it up, otherwise a union somewhere would kick up a fuss. I think that on their own unions can get a bit too wrangled, but when I worked for the Royal Mail I was really glad the CWU were there giving us an oposing view when the bosses came round and made us sign random documents that meant they could wheel out pay freezes or make us work more hours for dodgy overtime.

Flying pig437 wrote:ON acc. of prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems I'm excused from having to justify my little bit of luxury and leisure.
You are not excused from anything. You aren't owed a living because you cannot enjoy the quality of life you imagine healthy people to have. I could argue that you are just making excuses here. Mother Theresa probably battled worse mental and physical health problems and managed to work tirelessly with the most needy people. You appear to have a certain level of independance that many ill people are not granted.

Flying pig437 wrote:Wheter or not I've got a right to loathe a 'society' who's callouseness and indifference and negation of the extent of my health problems has made me fear constantly for my life and makes me feel I'm one thin line away from destitution and being driven to suicide I don't know. I just loathe that 'society' and am taking it upon myself to undermine people in that society's moral worth. This is what most people do to the rich and powerful but the difference is when you're suffering from prolonged and painful mental and physical health problems even normal everyday people are rich and poweful and downright greedy in someways it has to be said and it makes me puke having to listen them, you...hating on people like Thatcher and bankers and Cheif executives bonuses just as much as those people make you puke.

Nah your argument still doesn't stack up. Honestly you sound like my old stoner mates who smoked too much and never went outside enough. All melodrama and self pity.

My uncle had his leg amputated last year yet he enjoys a certain quality of life and has a lot of people looking out for him. It sounds like you don't. I don't think your painful mental and physical health issues are entirely to blame here either, or rather you have let them swamp you in a certain way. People are generally willing to help, but it sounds like your two vices are talking to prostitutes in the street or trying to crash AA meetings, and then you angrily rile against both parties when they don't blow enough smoke up your ass.
w/e. I'm not going to let someone like you who hasn't got a clue about anything to do with my life except my breif occaisonal generalised descriptions tell me anything.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Hey FP437, you're really crossing the limit now. Didn't Keith tell us all to stop arguing in the other thread? There is a thing called SHUTTING UP, whether you're right or wrong.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Agreed. This thread has also gone way off topic so I'm going to lock it.