There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Re: There will be a new album

Post by mastaflatch »

You use the term "debate" very liberally...

I'm torn about that little clip. Of course it's great to have Waters play bass like he used to in his best days, it sounds alive, no doubt, but if that song isn't Have A Cigar, then it's gonna be another "Hello I Love You" case for me - I mean, why putting out an inevitably inferior re-make of a past hit dubbed as something new? Waters and Godrich know their share about finding sounds and creating atmospheres, it should be a match made in heaven.
So if it's indeed a "new" song, then Godrich failed at detecting a blatant re-hash of an old staple... or at telling it to his new boss.
Maybe it is Have A Cigar. Then props to them for infusing new life in it :)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

If semantics is an issue and it's that important then let's call it a discussion instead
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I'm not really interested in your antics anyway, I'm here to talk about Pink Floyd.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

mastaflatch wrote:I'm not really interested in your antics anyway, I'm here to talk about Pink Floyd.
What was I discussing? You might want to have a read over it again. You read it and saw fit to be snide the First time so I get the feeling it did grab your interest

"Antics"

Oh dear

Anyway I'll see you all later. You get some good discussion in here on occasion, but you don't half get some shit too.

Toodles
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote:"Probably wrote", if you don't know the facts piss off and do one.
Well, the thing is, it's still a matter of dispute. Gilmour says Ezrin wrote it, but on the album the song is credited to Waters.

There's also the possibility of Joe DiBlasi coming up with the actual arpeggio when he was hired to record the guitar part...

So, there's that. A lot of people involved in writing that track: two Floyd members, a producer and a session musician. Would the song be any better if only Gilmour and Waters had been involved? Probably it would be quite the opposite.

Although I agree with you that solo work is always going to be more "pure", that doesn't mean is going to produce better musical results. The truth is teamwork more often than not brings the best of all involved parts and eliminates their worst tendencies. And in the end, to my ears, that's what really matters: that the music produced is actually good and interesting. I have no use at all for a 100% "authentic" piece of music that totally sucks, like either On An Island or Radio KAOS. Both Gilmour and Water have been missing a good teammate all these years, here's hoping Nigel Godrich will play that role in the new Waters album. He's a hell of a great producer.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Never mind mate.

I've been a bit strong and over the top with my responses. Just been a bad day, I apologise. I'll probably chime in again in the future at some point
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:They were both part of the Floyd's musical palette though. These producers aren't

Neither was Bob Ezrin until The Wall. Or Alan Parsons for Dark Side.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Neither of whom ever were.

Give it up, you've contracdicted yourself spectacularly
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

So, do you guys think Waters is going to integrate some of the songs he has already released over the last 20 years into this new album?

I kinda expect him to include To Kill The Child, since he said the concept of the album was about an old man and his grandson asking him why they were killing the children... wouldn't mind if he includes new versions of the other non-soundtrack songs too...

So if he goes down that path, and following DSOTM template, the album could look something like this:

Side A
1. -Atmospheric Intro-
3. Leaving Beirut ("Instrumental Verses" version)
4. Lay Down Jerusalem
5. To Kill The Child

Side B
6. Each Small Candle
8. -Instrumental Jam-
9. Crystal Clear Brooks
10. Flickering Flame

So the album would begin in an angsty note and would progress gradually into a more hopeful mood, ending with that bittersweet Barrett-esque song that is Flickering Flame :)
Last edited by danielcaux on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I liked the crystal clear song, though it did sound like an outtake from The Final Cut
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:So, do you guys think Waters is going to integrate some of the songs he has already released over the last 20 years into this new album?

I kinda expect him to include To Kill The Child, since he said the concept of the album was about an old man and his grandson asking him why they were killing the children... wouldn't mind if he includes new versions of the other non-soundtrack songs too...

So if he goes down that path, and following DSOTM template, the album could look something like this:

Side A
1. -Atmospheric Intro-
3. Leaving Beirut ("Instrumental Verses" version)
4. Lay Down Jerusalem
5. To Kill The Child

Side B
6. Each Small Candle
8. -Instrumental Jam-
9. Crystal Clear Brooks
10. Flickering Flame

So the album would begin in an angsty note and would progress gradually into a more hopeful mood, ending with that bittersweet Barrett-esque song that is Flickering Flame :)

I doubt any of those songs are on it. I think Godrich is taking Waters in a completely different direction. Godrich focuses on musicality and tone rather than concepts and lyrics, this why you see Roger always with a bass in his hand in the clips. The new clip is quite revealing. It's going to be space/art rock, IMHO, with some Animals/Meddle mixed in. Lots and lots of texture, cool sounding drums and bass, less lyrics.

The best thing about that clip is that the glossy, overproduced sheen that plagues all Pink Floyd and solo works after The Wall is gone.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's just a have a cigar jam. If it was a vid of Dave playing the same thing you'd be spewing shite about a lack of creativity or unwillingness to change.

And just wanted the gloss is added afterwards
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:It's just a have a cigar jam.
No, it really isn't. More like the Echoes jam or Pigs.
If it was a vid of Dave playing the same thing you'd be spewing shite about a lack of creativity or unwillingness to change.

And just wanted the gloss is added afterwards

Why are you so hostile in every post?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

You make trolling comments and ask why you get these responses

No sense playing stupid. Even if it was more echoes or pigs, which it isn't, is that any better?

I see right through you. Im sure plenty of others do too seeing the grief you've had when you 'try' and talk music over on the Gilmour section of the forum
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Play nice.