There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Of the the songs this one didn't bowl me over on first listen. Haven't pressed replay.
I thought the drumming was like "5 Years"! But I did notice how the tracks keyboards became more powerful as it went on. Likes more piano orientated Radiohead!
Clearly more an album track. Still interested in the album but if Smell The Roses is the only Rock track (A Saucerful Of Secrets, The Wall even TFC all have a great opening track from Roger) then I'll still buy the album as who am I kidding?
*Goes for second listen.
EDIT: OK now I hear his vocals more and with the visuals, yeah. All doubts erased! It's wonderful!
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

I read that Roger is a massive fan of John Lennon (particularly his solo work). Wonder if that explains the sparse piano / drum / passionate vocal delivery - have a listen to "God" from Lennon's solo album.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's sounds so synthetic. Like the thing has been put together on some Mac software

What's he paying his mate for? So far it seems he's collecting a wage to listen to old Floyd records and splice parts together to create Frankenstein like reproductions.

Hopefully during his tour he keeps these tracks to a minimum, just play the actual Floyd tracks instead, not the diluted rip offs.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I really like the lyrics by the way. I had major doubts after the last couple but I think this is proof Roger still has that in his locker
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Still interested in the album but if Smell The Roses is the only Rock track (A Saucerful Of Secrets, The Wall even TFC all have a great opening track from Roger) then I'll still buy the album as who am I kidding?
My exact same thoughts completely :lol:

I absolutely loved the synths, it's like The Wall demos galore! And the song has heart for sure.

Too bad the song is too short. But I guess is better to be left wanting more than wanting less of it.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

So the cracks start showing. They've been there all along but this just sounds unfinished. It's like 3 chords on a piano. Arrange the shit out of it. Add a... sad, just saddening singer on top of it. Done.
There really nothing to this song. The chords remind me of the beginning of nobody home. Wall offcuts. Then arranged to shits. Goodrich might arrange all of this to no end. Give it raw sound etc. But you can't polish a turd and get much for it. There's nothing behind it. Just rehashed and lots of ranting. Roger's been toast for long.
The drums sound like a student practicing. They're not wrong they're just pointlessly and naively busy. Very in your face. Reminds me of Weird Fishes by Radiohead.
Roger's singing is just sad. Nothing else going on really.
To some earlier point, you don't need great production and gear to sound great. Hiding behind massive production is a sing of inherent weakness to me. Sure the right mix is brilliant but sometimes even the worst gear can sound great. Check out Rick wakeman playing a toy keyboard (and a good laugh):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMqoRZsxOVc
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

One thing I'm still having a problem with is the vocals which sound way off in the mix, as though they're not meant to be for this song and some random guys put them in there on his iMac
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Roger should not sing some of his songs anymore. Hire a professional, not the bad ones at his live shows. Might make a hit.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Unless said professional is Gilmour, I'd rather have old man Roger singing his own songs than some random faceless dude.

That said, I wouldn't mind him doing some duets with some talented and similar styled artists. I actually liked his 1990 collaboration with Sinead O. The others from that concert, not so much though.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Yeah. Something along those lines. Not sure why he has to sing. He was never a particularly good singer nor did he sing most of the floyd stuff. If he is as pivotal as some think to songs like Money, then he can do without singing on his own records. Maybe do like a return to the centre of the earth or supernatural thing where different relatively famous people guest. But his singing is pathetic. I don't blame him for losing his voice but I blame him for putting it on record.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:One thing I'm still having a problem with is the vocals which sound way off in the mix, as though they're not meant to be for this song and some random guys put them in there on his iMac
Loving the vocals on the new tracks, more like the Pink Floyd mixes from the 70's (the vocal line in TLR is mixed smiilarly to Roger's Shine On vocals). His solo albums (and the terribly mixed In the Flesh live CD) have his voice way, way too upfront at the expense of the instruments and texture.

Nigel has clealr yput an emphasis on musicality and tone, and especially of note is the economy in Roger's lyrics.

It really is something special. The co-founder of Pink Floyd has released a hypnotizing track in "The Last Refugee". Great reviews already pouring in:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/05/ ... gee-watch/
The previews we’ve heard so far have been gripping (“Smell the Roses”) and downright beautiful (“Déjà Vu”). The Pink Floyd frontman’s third offering, today’s “The Last Refugee”, follows suit quality-wise.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote:Check out Rick wakeman playing a toy keyboard (and a good laugh):

I really hope you aren't comparing Rick freaking Wakemn to the co-founder and chief songwriter for the greatest rock band of all time.

Roger, and David designed the band to NOT sound like their pathetic and self-indulgent cape-wearing prog rock doofus peers.

"The Last Refugee" is not going to appeal to the stoned "where are the guitar solos, man?" burn out crowd. The song pulses alive and uncoils like a snake, with all kinds of wonderful textural flourishes. The subtlety is sublime.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

raisemyrent wrote:. Check out Rick wakeman playing a toy keyboard (and a good laugh):
Well, while I definitely dont agree at all with the rest of your post, I totally have to thank you for that link! Wakeman is such an awesome dude! And astounding musician too, of course. Much love to him, and really glad he's still with us. Especially in light of the recent events in the rock world. So sad all these premature deaths of such great musicians :(
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Cheers daniel

I'm talking about sound quality flathead, calm down and focus. No need to get all subjective. There's wakeman making a Walmart keyboard sound good because he is good. Roger can't hide behind Goodrich's production and when it's just him and his guitar or piano, he sounds like shit. Or an old man who's had a stroke and is doing music therapy.
And I'd listen to wakeman play the chicken dance over any of the 3 songs so far. And every album Roger has been involved with since the final cut and 75% of the wall (which is mostly filler).
Last edited by raisemyrent on Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:Cheers daniel

I'm talking about sound quality flathead, calm down and focus. No need to get all subjective. There's wakeman making a Walmart keyboard sound good because he is good. Roger can't hide behind Goodrich's production and when it's just him and his guitar or piano, he sounds like shit.
And I'd listen to wakeman play the chicken dance over any of the 3 songs so far. And every album Roger has been involved with since the final cut and 75% of the wall (which is mostly filler).
Wakeman's a tremendous musician. Only a real dullard wouldn't recognise this.

Agree about the production though, even then it's all poorly mixed to my ear. I just wish Roger was capable of adding some really emotive music to those lovely lyrics rather than to nick 5 years from Bowie then go all final cut once again.