There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by kjek1 »

azza200 wrote:I don't mind that version funnily enough prefer it too any of Dave K's solos
I like Kilminster. Best guitar player Roger's used in a long while
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

azza200 wrote:the 88-94 version of CN are superior to this and other versions Roger has done over the years
The 1988 version of CN might be the definitive one, with the Gdansk version coming in close second. The 1994 version is pretty weak though, as if they were not sure if they wanted to play it like they did on the AMLOR tour (the way Gilmour envisioned it from the start) or more faithfully to the album version (which was a compromise between Gilmour's idea of a more gritty song and Waters' idea of a more mellow one, where as it turns out Waters eventually did have more say), so that particular version is neither here nor there and its only real plus is that the solo is longer than pretty much any version afterwards.

Waters' own version is of course more faithful to the album version (which, funny enough, I must admit is my least favorite one even though CN is one of my favorite PF tunes), which means rather mellow - and rather bland. The White/Bramhall guitar duel was very fun to witness though, but strangely enough the DVD version has only a fraction of guts I remember it for. I'm not saying the solos were that good, just that it sounded more than just suitable at the particular time and place. There is no such thing as a Kilminster version of the solo though, he just does a Gilmour impersonation, a very good one but still only an impersonation.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I really enjoy Live 8 version...

Gdansk? I would agree for Echoes but Comfortably Numb? not that much... Imo 1994 is the best and yes mostly because of the 5 minutes outro solo.

Roger Waters on the other hand, only tries to emulate original studio version, like with most songs.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Follix wrote:I really enjoy Live 8 version....

Best version, IMHO. Dave's guitar best I've ever heard it.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

News on the new album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ur-w444785

The best producer of the last 20 years, Nigel Godrich of Radiohead is working hard with Roger, and acting as a bullshit detector.

That clip we heard has Nigel's strings all over it. Very, very good news. I expect this to be the best piece of music since The Wall.

Nigel's really good. He said to me, "People always want to do these long records. How long was The Dark Side of the Moon?" I said 38 minutes.

Sounds like Nigel chucked the radio play. Good.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Nigel's really good. He said to me, "People always want to do these long records. How long was The Dark Side of the Moon?" I said 38 minutes.
Short records (~40 minutes) are all the rage again.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Interview of two pages with Roger in the latest Uncut.
It's a song cycle! It contains lyrics (Not entire song) of new song "If I Were God". Which sounds like it hasn't got any rhyme to it, but will probably turn out to be great. Or not.
"May" is the prospective release date.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

And interesting instagram footage of Roger tracking bass guitar, with wholehearted support by Nigel Godrich... Speaking of Godrich (Godrić?!), he could have made David's "On an island" a much adventurous listen...
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Wow! This is the edgiest, rawest sounding post-Wall work!

Roger is jamming out on an Echoes-like riff here, with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-wa ... view-2017/

So glad one of the Floyd's wised up and decided to make an album without a "Yes" Man. The results should be fantastic. Note how raw and rangey Water's bass sounds...such a huge relief from the studio glossy, lifeless bass of Guy Pratt.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Flathead wrote:...Roger is jamming out on an Echoes-like riff here
To me it sounds more like a riff based on 'Have a Cigar' ... <ii>
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:Wow! This is the edgiest, rawest sounding post-Wall work!

Roger is jamming out on an Echoes-like riff here, with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich.

So glad one of the Floyd's wised up and decided to make an album without a "Yes" Man. The results should be fantastic. Note how raw and rangey Water's bass sounds...such a huge relief from the studio glossy, lifeless bass of Guy Pratt.
You really are a boring c***
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

kjek1 wrote:
Flathead wrote:Wow! This is the edgiest, rawest sounding post-Wall work!

You really are a boring c***
Be nice [-X or be banned for trolling - your chioce
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Couldn't agree more with you Flathead. Both Waters and Gilmour have been for decades desperately in need of a bullshit detector/rival partner in their solo work, in order to trim the fat and cut the crap out. This little clip has me really excited because it's the first post-Wall Floyd related piece of music that has that classic 70s vibe going on.

It also kinda proves something I've been saying for years: Roger Waters' simple and spare bass sound was integral to the classic Pink Floyd sound, and it's one piece of the puzzle that both Dave Floyd and Waters' solo work have been missing all these years. Really glad to hear it back!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

He's basically sat playing Have A Cigar.

If that's what gets your juices flowing then so be it. He might want to drop his creative genius tag if he's going to regurgitate though.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well if "Vera" was the only thing we'd heard of "The Wall" what do you think the forum would of thought!

It doesn't sound like Radio KAOS for a start, more shuffle and beat than anything off Amused To Death.
And sounds more awake than Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking.

Yes, it sounds very Floydian in tone and chords, but a more lightweight jokey style of Echoes.
Of course he's not going to be able to sing AND play that Bass at the same time!
Still holding off until heard the whole album.
Even if at its worst it's a Floyd forgery, I'll still take that over the Rock deaths of 2016!