New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by UsNotThem »

Crosby and Nash have been confirmed as not appearing on the album, but are in fact on David's solo album, which sounds like it's almost certainly in the pipeline. So that's good news!

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/cr ... dless.html

:)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ultimatefloydian wrote:even if Waters is not involved with the production of the album itself, I think he may well show up at some of the shows at least..that is if Roger is true to his word on letting go of past bitterness. Because they've recently worked together on some things quite nicely, why not now? This is the last shot at proving all is well again.
Waters and Gilmour only have reunited concerning the work they both(!) did in Pink Floyd.

Maybe that even excludes the Barrett years, because of Waters and Pink Floyd not appearing together on stage during a Barrett memorial.
(Waters was too busy rehearsing... Yeah, right.)

Expecting Waters to appear during a 'The Endless River' concert,
would be more or less the same as expecting Gilmour to appear during an 'Amused to Death' concert.

BTW. An "Endless River", but no "Waters"... :P
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Isntthiswherewe wrote:That is a strange thing to say. Do you think that nobody should be playing Mozart or Beethoven out of respect? Surely, playing it is a celebration of Wright's music. The biggest tribute you could make.
Although I must admit I thought it strange at the time when Gilmour said of Ricks death "there are things I wont be able to play anymore" I'm sure there are many capable session musicians who could perform this work. The genius of these guys is in writing it in the first place.
When it comes to music, it's not just how you play those notes on the sheet but also how you play those empty spaces between. Sure, there are many session musicians capable of reproducing Wright's style and sound, but neither one of them is Rick Wright. Rick Wright was an essential member of Pink Floyd and couldn't be replaced by any other musician, no matter how good. That is what Gilmour meant when he said he wouldn't be able to play some songs any more. It's not a technical but an emotional issue. Wright's death has left some wounds that are yet to start healing and should be left to heal on their own, not hastily patched up. That is why I believe Gilmour is not going to perform as Pink Floyd any time soon, if ever.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Yes, I am a musician myself so I understand what you are saying.
But I still think its possible, during a live performance, to present something very acceptable played by someone else.
I wasn't in any way disappointed by Roger's Wall shows for example.

I do respect your opinion though.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Isntthiswherewe wrote:Yes, I am a musician myself so I understand what you are saying.
But I still think its possible, during a live performance, to present something very acceptable played by someone else.
I wasn't in any way disappointed by Roger's Wall shows for example.

I do respect your opinion though.
If people want to see the music played by someone else, then there is The Australian Pink Floyd Show + other tribute bands.

To see one or two PF band members plus other support musicians playing PF music, there are the solo tours. Of which I suspect we haven't seen the last.

I wouldn't want to see Dave+Nick or (even if it were legally possible) Roger+Nick touring as Pink Floyd. But if pigs did fly again, and there was a Dave+Nick+Roger tour, then I would think it would be entirely appropriate for them to tour as Pink Floyd. It wouldn't be the same without Rick though.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I don't know why we're discussing a tour under the monicker of Pink Floyd. We all know it will never happen.

I reckon we'd be lucky if we saw another solo tour from either members.

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

UsNotThem wrote:I don't know why we're discussing a tour under the monicker of Pink Floyd. We all know it will never happen.

I reckon we'd be lucky if we saw another solo tour from either members.

It's very unlikely to happen. But in the past a full reunion would have looked extremely unlikely to happen, but it did. Dave guesting at a Roger concert would have been very unlikely, but it happened. I'm not saying that this means that a PF tour is likely, but similarly strange things have happened. Besides, how many months is it until the album is released? We have to talk about something.

It looks as if both Roger and Dave are going to release albums. I'd expect that there's a good chance that both will tour after their respective albums.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They certainly won't tour again, especially since Rick has left us.
Luvelle Raevan
Axe
Axe

Post by Luvelle Raevan »

Great to see the news re the new music! The tweet by Polly Samson, who wants to be known as Pink Floyd lyricist first and Mrs. David Gilmour second, went all around the world in a flash!!

David is a brilliant musician...and his art is his reason to be - we've seen him come through time and time again, and as a fan I'm respectful...but as a superfan I say Pink Floyd, shine on!
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

It would be weird hearing the keyboards in "Shine On" without Rick playing them (though Jon Carin would be good since he's been with the band so long). But I can't imagine Roger going on stage and playing anything from AMLOR or TDB :)
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Freddie Mercury wrote:It would be weird hearing the keyboards in "Shine On" without Rick playing them (though Jon Carin would be good since he's been with the band so long). But I can't imagine Roger going on stage and playing anything from AMLOR or TDB :)
You already can hear Jon on Shine On; he was on Roger's In the Flesh tour, and their rendition of Shine on is excellent. You can check it out here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4Z6RhxRcE
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I'm hoping that when Gilmour tours his next solo album he plays a track or two from the new album.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Hudini wrote:This got me all interested again, so it better be good! \:D/
Holy fuck you are alive! Good to know that! [-D-]

Hope J Ed is OK too.
That is a strange thing to say. Do you think that nobody should be playing Mozart or Beethoven out of respect?
Yes, nobody should play Mozart or Beethoven claiming to be Mozart OR Beethoven, out of pure respect.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:
Hudini wrote:This got me all interested again, so it better be good! \:D/
Holy fuck you are alive! Good to know that! [-D-]

Hope J Ed is OK too.
Nice to see you too! :D

I missed this place and the people here, so I though, if the mountain won't come to Muhammad... 8)
danielcaux wrote:
That is a strange thing to say. Do you think that nobody should be playing Mozart or Beethoven out of respect?
Yes, nobody should play Mozart or Beethoven claiming to be Mozart OR Beethoven, out of pure respect.
Nice point! [-D-]
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

danielcaux wrote:
Bands are different from individuals. Mozart and Beethoven are from the days of orchestra, and of course the Vienna Symphony Orchestra still plays even though there are none of the original members left. And I don't think that anyone claims that the continued existence of the orchestra is in any way disrespectful to anyone. So, I'm not sure that the analogy works.

I'd agree that it's very, very, unlikely that PF will ever tour again. But given that unexpected things have happened in the past, I'm not sure that I'd say that it's absolutely certain that it won't happen. And if the tour was Gilmour/Mason/Waters, I'd think it entirely reasonable to use the name PF.
jambo wrote:I'm hoping that when Gilmour tours his next solo album he plays a track or two from the new album.
If/when Gilmour tours, I'd think it very likely that he'll play at least one of the tracks from ER.