New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
henno

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by henno »

Hudini wrote:They should have definitely spent more time mastering the whole thing. I know it's just a poor radio recording, but you can still tell this is nowhere near their own production standards. l.
If anything they have gone way beyond their own production standards on this album ???
All evidence from the recordings points to that.

Personally i wont make up my mind until ive listened to the whole album from start to finish in 5.1

then and only then will i comment on the production values.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

henno wrote:
Hudini wrote:They should have definitely spent more time mastering the whole thing. I know it's just a poor radio recording, but you can still tell this is nowhere near their own production standards. l.
If anything they have gone way beyond their own production standards on this album ???
All evidence from the recordings points to that.

Personally i wont make up my mind until ive listened to the whole album from start to finish in 5.1

then and only then will i comment on the production values.
That's what I was thinking as well. I recall an interview where it stated that the interweaving of all the instruments and keyboards would be best listened to on the blu ray in 5.1 to get the full effect. Otherwise the sounds will not dance the way they were meant to and may tend to step on each other. The system you listen to ANY album on can make all the difference for some.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

henno wrote:...
+1 ... :)
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

kjek1 wrote:What are the chance the sound and mix experts on here are actually sound engineers? Something tells me those chances are slim.
By that logic I would also need to be a composer of opera in order to dislike opera. Very flawed argument.

The production on the released tracks so far is clear, but extremely dry, and extremely cold. It lacks the analog warmth of their 70's productions and the instruments wind up almost sounding midi at times. On the musical side of things, my worry with this album after hearing what's been released is that there are no memorable melodies. On this newest instrumental, you basically have a chord progression with no melody to carry it through. Something like that might work as the background music to a movie but for my active listening, after hearing it 5 times the only part that really stands out as memorable is the piano part (which is unfortunately buried in the mix).
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
kjek1 wrote:What are the chance the sound and mix experts on here are actually sound engineers? Something tells me those chances are slim.
By that logic I would also need to be a composer of opera in order to dislike opera. Very flawed argument.

The production on the released tracks so far is clear, but extremely dry, and extremely cold. It lacks the analog warmth of their 70's productions and the instruments wind up almost sounding midi at times. On the musical side of things, my worry with this album after hearing what's been released is that there are no memorable melodies. On this newest instrumental, you basically have a chord progression with no melody to carry it through. Something like that might work as the background music to a movie but for my active listening, after hearing it 5 times the only part that really stands out as memorable is the piano part (which is unfortunately buried in the mix).
Not every instrumental music needs a clear melody in order to be efficient though. One Of These Days doesn't have any more melody than this but it works because the actual arrangements are strong enough to keep the listener entertained. Terminal Frost has this motif that runs through the song that holds it together nicely. This one sounds like an under-developped idea and I don't like it all that much but I still don't think it's down to the lack of a melody. Also, the guitar tone seems to be overly crude as a sort of balance against the schmaltzy sax and clarinet.
DJWilliams
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DJWilliams »

FloydianCPKU wrote:Pink Floyd - Anisina:
http://www.izlesene.com/video/pink-floy ... na/7869152
I think I prefer Terminal Frost. :-;

Nick has repeatedly used the word "ambient" - I wonder if he has a different definition of the word (to me).

Still looking forward to hearing the whole thing - I suspect this will turn out to be one of the least interesting tracks though.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

DJWilliams wrote:
FloydianCPKU wrote:Pink Floyd - Anisina:
http://www.izlesene.com/video/pink-floy ... na/7869152
I think I prefer Terminal Frost. :-;

Nick has repeatedly used the word "ambient" - I wonder if he has a different definition of the word (to me).

Still looking forward to hearing the whole thing - I suspect this will turn out to be one of the least interesting tracks though.
That's entirely possible. The interviews suggest echoes of all of the PF eras contained on the 4 sides. A doubt that all 4 sides will be all that similar if that is any indication. This is my hope anyway that the 4 sides will be sort of a journey through the years culminating in a farewell at the end.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

hypermikem wrote:I recall an interview where it stated that the interweaving of all the instruments and keyboards would be best listened to on the blu ray in 5.1 to get the full effect. Otherwise the sounds will not dance the way they were meant to and may tend to step on each other. The system you listen to ANY album on can make all the difference for some.
Good music doesn't need good playback equipment.
In the 1960s, lo-fi mono AM radio was an important standard. And I think it still should be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaural
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo-fi_music

If 'The Endless River' doesn't sound good on a lo-fi mono AM radio,
it just isn't good.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I know that music today is usually made to be fully appreciated on a 5.1 mix, but when a piece of music is mastered in such a way that it can be appreciated only on a 5.1 mix that's just a lazy production. The beauty of the DSOTM production was in that it was still great while listened to in stereo but was only different and not necessarily better in quad. In other words, you didn't need four speakers to enjoy the music and it didn't sound hollow and dry on only two.

I like to listen to music on my cellphone while I commute and I want to have an option to enjoy music like that. I refuse to admit it's my problem if an album sounds like crap unless I grow another three ears.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

Who said it NEEDS to be listened to in 5.1? That's the BEST way to listen to it but not the only way. If you don't like it then you don't like it period. Obviously that does not apply to you as you will not like it even if they are playing it live for you. For those that don't like it, that's just too bad that you refuse to find any kind of enjoyment from likely the last thing you will ever get from Pink Floyd. Sure glad I am not on that side of the fence.
Alternate
Axe
Axe

Post by Alternate »

[/quote]Personally i wont make up my mind until ive listened to the whole album from start to finish in 5.1[/quote]

Now we are talking! this is exactly what i'm thinking too.
I'm not getting on this forum anymore before i got my Endless River Cd,Lp and Boxset at home. This is just ridiculous.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

hypermikem wrote:For those that don't like it, that's just too bad that you refuse to find any kind of enjoyment from likely the last thing you will ever get from Pink Floyd. Sure glad I am not on that side of the fence.
That's a bit condescending.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

bboynexus wrote:
hypermikem wrote:For those that don't like it, that's just too bad that you refuse to find any kind of enjoyment from likely the last thing you will ever get from Pink Floyd. Sure glad I am not on that side of the fence.
That's a bit condescending.
That's the truth. You will get no more Floyd. Too bad some will send them off into the sunset criticizing every aspect of their final work. That's not going to be me. If you find that concept condescending then so be it. I don't care one way or the other.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

hypermikem wrote:That's the truth. You will get no more Floyd. Too bad some will send them off into the sunset criticizing every aspect of their final work. That's not going to be me. If you find that concept condescending then so be it. I don't care one way or the other.
Personally, I've enjoyed everything I've heard so far from The Endless River. I just don't think it's tactful to parade around with a sense of superiority because you want to enjoy the album unconditionally when others don't.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

bboynexus wrote:
hypermikem wrote:That's the truth. You will get no more Floyd. Too bad some will send them off into the sunset criticizing every aspect of their final work. That's not going to be me. If you find that concept condescending then so be it. I don't care one way or the other.
Personally, I've enjoyed everything I've heard so far from The Endless River. I just don't think it's tactful to parade around with a sense of superiority because you want to enjoy the album unconditionally when others don't.
It's not that I choose to like the album unconditionally. It's that I realize that this is it for my favorite band of all time. There will be no more. So I choose to appreciate the album for what it DOES offer instead of knit picking it to death before it's even released, for what it LACKS. The same way it offends you that I seem to take the stance you describe, which was not accurate by the way, I find it offensive that some choose to crap on the album before its release. Dislike it if you don't like it, but to crap on it knowing it's the last thing you will ever get from PF? That lacks tact as well wouldn't you say? Not to say that you personally have been doing this, so don't assume my comments are aimed at any one particular individual. In any event I don't see too many people concerned with tact on this thread, so if we disagree, then we will just have to agree to disagree on some things and leave it at that wouldn't you say? Will every song on the album be the best Floyd ever? Most likely not. Times have indeed changed, but we can appreciate it for what it is, which is the last PF album EVER. Gilmour is still playing guitar on it, Wright is on the keys and Mason is still on the drums, so it can't be ALL bad now can it? I guess that's the gist of my stance.