New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

NME stick the boot in.
5 / 10 Pink Floyd’s fifteenth and final LP is more postscript than swansong, a curate’s egg that will no doubt sell like spacecakes, but which feels like an inglorious, anticlimactic way to bring down the curtain - however belatedly - on one of the biggest bands of all time. They’ve died as they lived - with a long, slow exhalation of sustained keyboard chords and icily-precise guitar solos - yet there’s no escaping that, for the most part, ‘The Endless River’ sounds like what it is: a collection of spruced-up outtakes from 1994's ‘Division Bell’. On those limited terms it works well enough, and it’s interesting from a certain geeky perspective, but it's never quite as satisfying or substantial as you want it to be.

At one point, Stephen Hawking turns up to remind us of the importance of communication, yet what the band themselves are trying to get across remains frustratingly unclear. If ‘The Endless River’ is intended as a tribute to the late Rick Wright, perhaps it should’ve been issued as a posthumous solo album, because as the final word on Pink Floyd, it feels like a lightweight coda from a truly heavyweight group. The exception is ‘Louder Than Words’, the album’s only conventional song, which nicely sums up their tumultuous 49-year existence: “We bitch and we fight, diss each other on sight... but this thing we do is louder than words.” A shame, then, that they’ve decided to bow out on a whisper.

Barry Nicolson
http://www.nme.com/reviews/pink-floyd/15772 Considering this is the same magazine that described them as "tedium incarnate" back in the late 80's etc!

I'll still buy the album though.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

NME. How did they even find out about his album with their head planted firmly up Alex Turner's ass for so many years now?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:How terribly this manager Paul Loasby must be hurt by fans sharing recordings which are commercially unavailable,
including recordings which Pink Floyd itself doesn't have.
](*,)
Why let someone share something for free when you own the rights to sell it good?
Well, USE those rights and SELL those recordings by officially releasing them. ](*,)

I guess those old recordings online must also be a pain because
they are a free, musically superior alternative to 'The Endless River'.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Reviews & Ratings I have read so far for the new record ;-

Q Magazine gave it 3 stars and called it an "Obscure farewell from sort-of-still existing megagroup"
Recommended Download : Skins, It's What We Do and Louder Than Words

The Mail on Sunday rated it 2 out of 5 stars. "The Endless River is a series of soundscapes in search of a vocal". The highlight for this reviewer was Louder Than Words "As in all the best Floyd songs from Money to Comfortably Numb, there's a tune that you can hum, a solo you can play on your air guitar, and a point you can ponder"

NME allocated it 5 out of 10 calling it "A lightweight coda from a truly heavyweight group"

Mojo Magazine rate it 3 stars and write. "...full of Floyd trademarks, Gilmour's string bending guitar solo's , Wright playing the Royal Albert Hall Organ". They summarise with " The Endless River is big on atmosphere, just a little light on songs"

Uncut Magazine awarded it 7 out of 10. "Finally! The first new album in 20 years proves a graceful, open-hearted swansong". They summarise "So, with a grand Gilmour solo, a departing wave of ambient noise and the same synth arpeggio that kicked things off almost an hour before, the record, and Pink Floyd, bow out. As always, with a little quiet desperation, but a lot of grace"
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I value my opinion. That's about it.
If I cared or agreed with what other people say, I'd be in a forum for The Voice.
I didn't even read them because to me they're spoilers too.

Ps I don't quite get why they released allons-y (1). It's short and it's basically what we heard on the preview. It cuts off drastically too. Maybe they wanted to let one loose without really giving much away quite yet.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Just spun allons-y a few times. Again, I'm taken aback by the dated production. It sounds very 1980's, and the part where the solo kicks in reminds me of a moment from a cop buddy movie (Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, etc), maybe a chase scene or some other moment.

Also, why does Gilmour's slide guitar sound like a yowling cat and not a slide guitar?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Mm maybe because the song kind of gets higher and higher? It sure sounds heavenly if you pardon the cheese. So far about 20% of it is out, so I'd say you won't like this album, flathead, no offence.

Ps there's a gong at the end of allons-y (1).
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Ron's review of the album over on Yeeshkul is excellently articulated and very positive. Great to see from someone who's well known in some communities for being a credible Floyd expert.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Is there a way to hear 'Allons-y' other than on Spotify, which isn't available where I am? It's not on YouTube.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Hudini wrote:Is there a way to hear 'Allons-y' other than on Spotify, which isn't available where I am? It's not on YouTube.
I was just about to ask the same thing.

Come on, some good soul, be nice to a fellow member and spare a megabyte or two...

Daj mail Mića, imam ga...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Dobio sam i ja. <ii>

The full EPK was also posted on the official PF YouTube channel yesterday: http://youtu.be/uwumke98koo
There's some new music in the background too.
DJWilliams
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DJWilliams »

Damn!t wrote:
Hudini wrote:Is there a way to hear 'Allons-y' other than on Spotify, which isn't available where I am? It's not on YouTube.
I was just about to ask the same thing.

Come on, some good soul, be nice to a fellow member and spare a megabyte or two...

Daj mail Mića, imam ga...
You can buy it from iTunes. Interestingly (when I purchased this yesterday) some of the track times were listed for some of the DVD bonus tracks/videos.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Yeah it's about 33? I think that's been there all along. I pre ordered through iTunes but saw the single track on Amazon as well.
Someone mentioned it sounds like song for my Sara and it's true; they're like 3rd cousins once removed lol
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

Pre-ordered CD on Amazon and will have it delivered STREET DATE! Also my dad grabbed me the CD-BluRay box on Best Buy's website for $15 (since we had a $15 voucher) instead of $30 with FREE SHIPPING!

The four things I've heard from this are SUPERB (Allonsy, Louder Than Words (awesome tune, radio played it once when it wasn't playing Nickelback nor Halestorm) and Anisina (that lap steel and clarinet playing together was oh man and David's Stratocaster solo at the end just kicked ass)! I will promote this and give Pink Floyd its last #1 album IN AMERICA (and stick it to the redneck Garth Brooks and that jezebel Taylor Swift who cheated to hit #1).
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I pre ordered the deluxe on iTunes but I'm stopping by te record atore tomorrow to literally throw money at them to make sure that I can pick up a physical copy of the same as early as contractually possible. iTunes downloads are just not the same quality as a good old cd.
With the official release date in Canada being November 11 I don't know what I will be doing. Option 1 is locking myself up and growing away the key until release day, and option 2 is give in to it being out as early as November 6 for me (time difference o Australia and Germany; music downloads are not even illegal in Canada) and getting my actual copy eventually, but this takes from the excitement for my real copy. Thoughts?
I wish I had worse things to worry about!!!